Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 07:56 AM

979 posts, read 4,456,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ALTAWK718 View Post
I am speaking for myself, however plenty of NYCers prefure location over size. Not everyone needs a huge apartment and tons of bedrooms.
Yet what you're suggesting is that not only those people who can't afford location will be further penalized by living in a miserably small roomed high rise on the outskirts of the City.
Quote:
why don't more developers build taller and smaller apartments in the outer boroughs?
How would you market this crap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 08:43 AM

138 posts, read 314,794 times
[quote=modsquad81;17212486]Furthermore the

Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
Once again this OP has shown a distinct lack of facts and/or knowledge about what he pontificates about.
New York City Real Estate News: Vacancy Rate Rises in Manhattan - WSJ.com
Record apartment vacancy rate predicted for next year | The Real Deal | New York Real Estate News
Describes an ever rising vacancy rate in NYC

Apartment Vacancy Rates & Apartment Rent Rates: New York City & Long Island : MultifamilyInvestor – off market apartment buildings for sale – multifamily apartment building blog (http://www.multifamilyinvestor.com/apartment-vacancy-rates-apartment-rent-rates-new-york-city-long-island/ - broken link)
The Slow Rise of Manhattan's Apartment Vacancy Rate | The New York Observer

Not even close.
Population densities
City Mayors: Largest cities in the world by population density (1 to 125)

New York City 2,050 density (people per sqKm)
Tokyo/Yokohama 4,750 density (people per sqKm)
Not even close.

Did you ever think that the vacancy rates correlate with the fact the units are unaffordable to many people? Economy is not the strongest overall.

Of course many if not most people want to live close to the core in NYC, it's one the most attractive aspects of the city due to the amount of amenities.

You have some agenda against me but your lack of creativity does nothing for NYC. You also are trying to make a point that fails to counterdict my idea for cheaper/smaller/taller residencies.

Density is also comparable. Both cities are very dense ana lack housing which drives prices up. Mexico has a murder rate lower than Venezuela, that does not mean Mexico does not have a problem with murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
And what about the NY'ers who don't care about being as close to Manhattan as possible ? More than 1/2 of the people in the "outer boroughs" don't commute to Manhattan.
The affordable housing shortage is city wide.

Quote:
Yet what you're suggesting is that not only those people who can't afford location will be further penalized by living in a miserably small roomed high rise on the outskirts of the City.

How would you market this crap?
How is a smaller space a burden? Maybe to you, but not everyone feels that way. I don't need 5 bedrooms and a huge living room myself, just a place to sleep, eat and relax.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:57 AM

979 posts, read 4,456,896 times
Quote:
Did you ever think that the vacancy rates correlate with the fact the units are unaffordable to many people? Economy is not the strongest overall.
What are you smoking? If an apartment is vacant for a time then the landlord lowers the rent. If it is still vacant then he continues to lower it.

Quote:
You have some agenda against me but your lack of creativity does nothing for NYC.
Your ideas are totally contrary not only to current urban planning on housing but to human nature in general.
I offer links to back up my arguments, you continue to bloviate without siting any sources.
Quote:
Density is also comparable. Both cities are very dense ana lack housing which drives prices up.
What don't you understand about density? Tokyo is more than twice as dense as NYC. I gave you a link. Show us your source. Furthermore I sited links that the vacancy rate is going up. The first link is to the Wall Street Journal.
Quote:
How is a smaller space a burden? Maybe to you, but not everyone feels that way.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
What are you smoking? If an apartment is vacant for a time then the landlord lowers the rent. If it is still vacant then he continues to lower it.

Your ideas are totally contrary not only to current urban planning on housing but to human nature in general.
I offer links to back up my arguments, you continue to bloviate without siting any sources.
What don't you understand about density? Tokyo is more than twice as dense as NYC. I gave you a link. Show us your source. Furthermore I sited links that the vacancy rate is going up. The first link is to the Wall Street Journal.
Just because the rent declines does not mean it will become affordable.

What do I need to cite, the only claims I have made are my opinion. Obviously Tokyo is more dense than NYC but do you deny the fact that NYC is dense and therefor requires new residential planning ideas. That is where the comparison is, how do you fail to see that.

My idea is, more cheap, small, tall housing should reduce rent across the city, increase vibrancy and save resources. I looked to Tokyo for successful implementation. I came to this idea on the conclusion NYC is growing and therefore will only have an increase in housing demand. Do I have to cite that too (NYC growth)?

Instead of insults what about solutions of your own, you are quick to critic others ideas but can only cite sources for information that is already widely understood.

And yes many NYCers if not most value location over size, otherwise we would all be living down south in huge ranch style homes for half the price.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:48 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,957 times
how much space does a single person need to live in anyway ..i mean we do not spend more that 11 hours a day inside the apt as it is dureing the time we sleep or shower and shave and get ready for work to watching tv in the evenings or fixing something to eat ..

the rest of the time we are out of the apt for work or play so how much space do you really need in the long run

Old 01-01-2011, 09:51 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,247 times
Yeah......no. Not going to happen. And yes, many New Yorkers value location over size. But "many" is not "most".

Old 01-01-2011, 09:53 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
what about building down? huge subterranean catacomb style buildings that go down a hundred stories under the earth. that could be the low income housing.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
how much space does a single person need to live in anyway ..i mean we do not spend more that 11 hours a day inside the apt as it is dureing the time we sleep or shower and shave and get ready for work to watching tv in the evenings or fixing something to eat ..

the rest of the time we are out of the apt for work or play so how much space do you really need in the long run
Exactly.

I am like you I don't need nor do I want to pay for extra space I do not need. I sleep, shower, usually eat and sometimes relax at home. I can only be in one room at a time and I don't have a problem with dual purpose spaces. I know there are many others like me. Not every American needs a lot of nothing like most believe.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:02 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ALTAWK718 View Post
My idea is, more cheap, small, tall housing should reduce rent across the city, increase vibrancy and save resources. I looked to Tokyo for successful implementation. I came to this idea on the conclusion NYC is growing and therefore will only have an increase in housing demand. Do I have to cite that too (NYC growth)?

Instead of insults what about solutions of your own, you are quick to critic others ideas but can only cite sources for information that is already widely understood.

And yes many NYCers if not most value location over size, otherwise we would all be living down south in huge ranch style homes for half the price.
you would only need to propose solutions if you believe there is a problem that needs solving. yep, you get very little for your money in nyc. your solution: get less, pay less. sounds awesome. a lot of people choose to move further away and get more.

sounds like you were a supporter of this guy:

Old 01-01-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Yeah......no. Not going to happen. And yes, many New Yorkers value location over size. But "many" is not "most".
I disagree. Most New Yorkers would like to be near public transit for instance. Others want to be in the core. Either way space is limited. Most of these units would be marketed to single professional. NYC families could deal with smaller spaces to with multi bedroom.

I am not talking pods, I am talking more small studios and smaller apartments in square footage. Tokyo apartments are not bad and very liveable.

If this was not the case there would be no draw here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what about building down? huge subterranean catacomb style buildings that go down a hundred stories under the earth. that could be the low income housing.
That would be ecological too, temps are regulated naturally below ground. The problems would be the buried alive feeling and lack of windows although you never know, we do build up why not down. In some cases it's already being done, just not as deep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City