Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:57 PM

125 posts, read 333,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvillian718 View Post
Honestly kid move to FL. I've been to West Palm Beach, Jacksonville, and Tampa. Living seems easy, lots of white people(mostly old people who left the crazy living of NY). Living seems good down there. The winters down there only last like three months to four months. You don't really have to worry about hoods or what areas to stay out of(besides Orlando and miami). Ny is just to much. Coming from someone whos lived NY all there life. It aint all its cracked up to be. Nice for outsiders to vist but not to live.
Oh no, You HAVE to worry about hoods in FL.
If you look past the brochure and touristy destinations, FL ranks #6 as one of the most dangerous states in the nation.

I'd honestly never live in FL. I've been there numerous times in the past, both East and west coasts. I prefer the East Coast (I like West Palm/Boca Raton areas) Miami Gardens is like the South Bronx, Fort Myers is riddled with poverty outside of its touristy areas, the whole FL panhandle is infamous for being noted as the "Redneck Riviera", and Naples/Cape Coral is basically one big retirement community.
Lets not forget to mention the complete downfall in FL's housing market recently. SWFL had a foreclosure rate similar to Detroit! Miami was also ranked to have more people below the poverty line than Newark and Buffalo!
Don't get me wrong, FL is truly a beautiful state with plenty to offer, such as beautiful forests/swamps/wildlife/beaches, but there's very little culture... I'd never "live" in that sauna, even though It's nice place to visit.

If you like the weather, beaches, and lifestyle in FL- All the power to you, to each his own. But this is just my take
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 08:04 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando are suburban at best.
There are downtown cores in each of those areas. Orlando has a nice downtown area where people work, live and shop.

Quote:
And I agree that FL and GA are not that different.
Maybe Jacksonville, but Not Orlando, Miami and Tampa. They have nothing in common with most of GA (outside of Atlanta).

Old 08-26-2013, 11:56 AM

15 posts, read 61,647 times
I live in Florida and it Does NOT get Cold here at all! No lie, in the winter season it will only be around 60-70°F in the day and at night usually around 40-50°F but that's rarely because I have lived in Orlando for 16 years never been through freezing tempatures except for the first week in March but that's it. Its a Sunshine state! I always wanted to visit New York but definately not live there because of the craziness up there and I will freez my butt off there. I don't like Florida very much because I don't like the Summer here when its so HUMID :/ I like the beaches surrounding us amd the transportation in florida is terrific. Lots of transportation just like New York, No joke ( Especially in Orlando ). Even though I don't like florida that much I'm moving to North Carolina because I like Snow and colorful leaves on the tree; I've bever seen snow because I live in florida but want to experience it Suggest you moving to Florida my opinion!!! If you like the heat then yes move to FL but if you like the Cold move to NY.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:04 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Since this post is from 2011 I assume that she figured it out.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:06 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew5a2b View Post
I live in Florida and it Does NOT get Cold here at all! No lie, in the winter season it will only be around 60-70°F in the day and at night usually around 40-50°F but that's rarely because I have lived in Orlando for 16 years never been through freezing tempatures except for the first week in March but that's it. Its a Sunshine state! I always wanted to visit New York but definately not live there because of the craziness up there and I will freez my butt off there. I don't like Florida very much because I don't like the Summer here when its so HUMID :/ I like the beaches surrounding us amd the transportation in florida is terrific. Lots of transportation just like New York, No joke ( Especially in Orlando ). Even though I don't like florida that much I'm moving to North Carolina because I like Snow and colorful leaves on the tree; I've bever seen snow because I live in florida but want to experience it Suggest you moving to Florida my opinion!!! If you like the heat then yes move to FL but if you like the Cold move to NY.
As a state, Florida is way crazier than NY these days...

Old 08-26-2013, 01:29 PM

192 posts, read 375,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
As a state, Florida is way crazier than NY these days...
haha...sure seems like it lately. Maybe it's the heat that makes some people to act looney down there.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:59 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,811 times
In general, nyc is a great place to move post graduation, given you can find a well paying job. Been here 8 years, will be 31, and now actively looking to relocate to Miami. Cut your teeth in nyc, enjoy the social scene, and if you want to go back in your early 30's, companies will be falling over you

Old 08-27-2013, 02:07 PM

144 posts, read 186,532 times
Neither one is better. Just different. it depend on you, what you like what you want out of life, how energetic, motivated, determined you are etc. If you want to advance in your career, you're astute, sharp, business minds, a hustler, have balls, hard working, highly motivated energetic, confident, have goals, great ideas, a winner with people, considered to be one of the best in your field, and have the best brains, I suggest you don't waste your time brain drain yourself in Florida's heat. Unless your in the nursing. Ive met so many people with degrees in social work, business, design and more working as jenitors, CNAs, sales assistants.
If you are all these things mentioned in the beginning of my post, Go to NYC baby!

Old 08-27-2013, 04:12 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
Lived very close to West Palm Beach for 6 months and hated it. Weather is unbearable minus 2 or 3 months per year. South Beach Miami is good for a few blocks then it gets honky tonk again.

Not to mention you need to evacuate for hurricanes.

The Pros:

Miami Airport has cheap flights to Latin America.

The Cons:

Miami Airport is one of the most dreaded airport in the country. It makes JFK look like a day at the movies.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:07 AM

290 posts, read 688,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ld75 View Post
haha...sure seems like it lately. Maybe it's the heat that makes some people to act looney down there.
Or it's because 90% of the people that live in FL now are NYers (or northeastern'ers in general) that have migrated down there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City