U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 01:39 PM

4,988 posts, read 7,863,591 times

Advertisements

Trust me, I've gone to see shows here and there with a very open mind. So before you call me bitter or whatever it is that makes you feel better, understand that. Honestly, it has been going steadily down hill since the early part of the 2000's. The closing of all the old clubs really sealed the deal.

So yeah, I will hold on to the past when it comes to this. All the acts I see nowadays are either four skinny, shaggy, nose in the air pansies whining about god knows what to some light-hearted guitar and drums; or some "tortured" chick basically crying into the mic with her acoustic; or two spazzes dancing around the stage with their keyboards to some electro-pop BS.

And forget about hardcore or punk. That **** is long gone.

So if you could link me to any of these cutting edge "brooklyn" bands that some of the publications out there gush about, I'd give em on honest listen. Thanks........
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 01:48 PM

349 posts, read 742,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Trust me, I've gone to see shows here and there with a very open mind. So before you call me bitter or whatever it is that makes you feel better, understand that. Honestly, it has been going steadily down hill since the early part of the 2000's. The closing of all the old clubs really sealed the deal.

So yeah, I will hold on to the past when it comes to this. All the acts I see nowadays are either four skinny, shaggy, nose in the air pansies whining about god knows what to some light-hearted guitar and drums; or some "tortured" chick basically crying into the mic with her acoustic; or two spazzes dancing around the stage with their keyboards to some electro-pop BS.

And forget about hardcore or punk. That **** is long gone.

So if you could link me to any of these cutting edge "brooklyn" bands that some of the publications out there gush about, I'd give em on honest listen. Thanks........
Too bad. I'm a big fan of hardcore punk. I haven't really explored the music scene. I was planning on seeing what there was to get into but your post makes it seem like a lost cause. Oh well.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
Too bad. I'm a big fan of hardcore punk. I haven't really explored the music scene. I was planning on seeing what there was to get into but your post makes it seem like a lost cause. Oh well.

Lost cause, my friend. Absolute lost cause. Sorry to tell you. You might find a sick of it all reunion once in a blue moon or something, but that is the extent of it.....

Old 01-02-2011, 02:37 PM

110 posts, read 210,412 times
Quote:
Lost cause, my friend. Absolute lost cause. Sorry to tell you. You might find a sick of it all reunion once in a blue moon or something, but that is the extent of it.....

Holy **** Sick of it All, now that brings back memories, actually I saw them once at a show out in california, where they stood out quite a bit from the other bands at the show. I remember going to cbgb's and getting drunk and then trying to make it back to staten island without passing out, back in the late 90's. I have been away for awhile and just got back, even in the late 90's you could tell the bowery was changing, now that I saw it again it along with st. marks is like one big hot topic store. I barely even saw any of those panhandling out of state gutter punks.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Yeah I saw Guttermouth at Webster Hall a few months back so there always the national acts that are still kicking that come through. I was just hoping there was a more local scene. I guess I have to get on board with hipster music like in that Hyundai commercial.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I guess I have to get on board with hipster music like in that Hyundai commercial.
Legit lol....

Those toolbags do a mean "beat it" cover. I'd link it for ya, but I'm on my phone right now and to lazy to do all that.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Legit lol....

Those toolbags do a mean "beat it" cover. I'd link it for ya, but I'm on my phone right now and to lazy to do all that.
I've seen it. How do they play live when they are knocking and banging on 12 different things at the same time? I mean you only have two hands. Ahh, the magic of studio recording. If you can't do it live I don't respect it.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:08 PM

576 posts, read 1,537,144 times
First off I think its pretty cool that we're talking about Sick of it all on city-data. Second, I agree about the current music scene, its basically those hyundai commercials rehashed over and over. I'll just continue to listen to the music of my past since nothing is progresing in any form of music, its stale. For me personally I stopped making the trek to the LES when CB's closed, what I would give to see Breakdown or the Cro-Mags there one more time.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:11 PM

18 posts, read 69,562 times
Quote:
Yep, some guy on the Internet says there's no scene, so it must be true. Lost cause, definitely.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:20 PM

110 posts, read 210,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcj11222 View Post
Yep, some guy on the Internet says there's no scene, so it must be true. Lost cause, definitely.
No there is a scene, just not a scene that has anything to do with the New Yorkers anymore. Hence the hyundai commerical music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: