Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 07:28 AM

11 posts, read 27,219 times

Advertisements

These kinds of threads should all come with a disclaimer: To a lot of people bad,"seedy","sketchy", "shady" and the like are just code words for not white. Take that into account when you hear people toss them around when describing neighborhoods.

They're afraid of anyone that doesn't look like Neil Patrick Harris and love casserole. When they see more then 5 in one neighborhood, slap the bad label on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 07:59 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
So can someone give me the real deal on Canarsie. I mean for a middle-class family (white American husband, black West Indian wife) who don't want to live next to the projects and get robbed at night but have also lived in sometimes rough towns like Oakland and Philly?

Old 01-21-2012, 08:04 AM

11 posts, read 27,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
So can someone give me the real deal on Canarsie. I mean for a middle-class family (white American husband, black West Indian wife) who don't want to live next to the projects and get robbed at night but have also lived in sometimes rough towns like Oakland and Philly?
If you've lived in "sometimes rough towns" you'll fit right in. It's not Disneyland but it's not the Gaza Strip either.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:08 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offbeatbop View Post
If you've lived in "sometimes rough towns" you'll fit right in. It's not Disneyland but it's not the Gaza Strip either.
Cool, thanks. Is the L train a ride to worry about, heading through the "Killer B's"?

Old 01-21-2012, 10:45 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Cool, thanks. Is the L train a ride to worry about, heading through the "Killer B's"?
L train is fine, but it will start getting packed at Myrtle Ave and then get packed to the point of ridiculousness by Bedford.

The only projects I know of in Canarsie are the Seaview Houses, those are all the way down Rockaway Parkway and Seaview Ave. next to the Belt Parkway.

Some parts of Canarsie you might have to take the bus to the L train (the B42 runs along Rockaway Parkway and goes right into the station) so keep that in mind.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:16 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post
Please, you're acting like that is a daily occurence. Again, a little more than 20 murders in that neighborhood in one year and out of that number only ONE was a case of a stray bullet. Ill give you the benefit of the doubt and assume maybe one, two more. Still doesn't mean a place is hell on earth. I think ill take my chances.

I'll gladly get an apartment there, hell, it's cheap. There are people who are in their 50's and older living around there for years and guess what, out of all those years, they're still alive and well. If it's as bad as you all make it seem, no one in the area would be past the age of 30. Of course anything is possible nothing is guaranteed, you can get shot anywhere.

And no, this bowl is REALISM, try it. It's not courage, if it was courage i'd say I'm not scared of a single place on this earth however I admitted there are a few i'd never go to. You need to look at some stats and think about number.s 100,000 people, only double digits of murders, wouldn't you say that's a pretty good chance at a long life if you're clean and free of illegal activity?
Whatever.....with that mentality it's easy to say, "oh, where would you rather live? Brownsville or Kabul?" Of course every body would pick Brownsville, how dense can you be? It's still a dangerous neighborhood, I dont care about numbers, which if you're getting from the NYPD are most likely inaccurate anyway. You're probably typing this from pristine suburbia. Go live there and then you tell me how comfortable you feel. Please.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-22-2012, 12:22 PM

811 posts, read 550,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Whatever.....with that mentality it's easy to say, "oh, where would you rather live? Brownsville or Kabul?" Of course every body would pick Brownsville, how dense can you be? It's still a dangerous neighborhood, I dont care about numbers, which if you're getting from the NYPD are most likely inaccurate anyway. You're probably typing this from pristine suburbia. Go live there and then you tell me how comfortable you feel. Please.
Yea, "whatever", and you just supported my statement earlier smart one, brownsville compared to many other places is exactly why everybody needs to stop hyping it up. You don't care about numbers, numbers is where you formed your idea that it's a bad neighborhood so how can you not care about numbers?

I'd live there if there was better commute and it is cheaper than most other places, however I have my commute wishes fulfilled here in clinton hill. Yea, "pristine suburbs" you know what they say about people who ASSume. I have been there many times at all times day because an ex lived there.

If I were you i'd worry about any natural disasters by the water in "Da Verne" instead of some murders. You wanna live in fear because some people have "Rep-my-hood-syndrome" fine, but I'll gladly walk anywhere in this city at all hours because I know it's all good. However, some other places (Camden ex.) Ill NEVER go to.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:25 PM

142 posts, read 259,732 times
I hear Kabul isn't all that bad- it's mostly hype...

Old 01-22-2012, 03:49 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Yea, "whatever", and you just supported my statement earlier smart one, brownsville compared to many other places is exactly why everybody needs to stop hyping it up. You don't care about numbers, numbers is where you formed your idea that it's a bad neighborhood so how can you not care about numbers?
Find in this thread where I formed my idea about Brownsville being a bad neighborhood because of numbers and I will hand deliver your prize.

Quote:
I'd live there if there was better commute and it is cheaper than most other places, however I have my commute wishes fulfilled here in clinton hill. Yea, "pristine suburbs" you know what they say about people who ASSume. I have been there many times at all times day because an ex lived there.
Clinton Hill is much better than Brownsville I'll tell you that.

Quote:
If I were you i'd worry about any natural disasters by the water in "Da Verne" instead of some murders. You wanna live in fear because some people have "Rep-my-hood-syndrome" fine, but I'll gladly walk anywhere in this city at all hours because I know it's all good. However, some other places (Camden ex.) Ill NEVER go to.
What in god's name are you talking about.....who's living in fear because of a rep my hood syndrome? It's a bad neighborhood thats the point. If you choose to walk the city at all hours of night nobody is stopping you! I could care less if your name shows up in the paper or not to be honest.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-22-2012, 04:36 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
On the anon is the bk version of supermario who also exaggerates about crime in the bx. I wonder if these guys are one of the same?
You love to mention me. Hop off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City