Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 05:09 PM

383 posts, read 1,316,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
I wouldn't take it personal. I think a lot of people just naturally follow their pride and hype up their area over every other area. Especially when it's a city as hated as New York.

I saw one of them Gangland episodes with Bloods in the Carolinas or Virginia or something and one of the guys was in the camera like "We bang harder than everyone! N***as in Compton don't want it with us! N***as in the Bronx don't want it with us!" or whatever. That's the mentality for a lot of people, especially hood types. No matter what they really believe, admitting another area is tougher than their's is like admitting that the natives of that region are tougher than them and their friends. It's safer to just say "Brooklyn?? Pfff!! I heard Bed-Stuy is 8% white these days..." People from elsewhere do it with the entire city. That's the gift and the curse of being NYC - everybody loves you but everybody also hates you. Other than Bloomberg, nobody likes to see "NYC - Safest big city in the country" headlines more than ignorant kids from Chicago and LA who live to hype their cities up and are tired of all these rappers and basketball players from NYC being on top. Because as you said, to a lot of people, crime = struggle = respect. They want reasons to convince themselves that NYC ain't all that cool and the drop in crime is a big one that gets used. As backwards and sick as that is to most logically thinking people. lol
Well what do you have to same to the increase in crime this past year in 2010? Also 8% white people in Bed-stuy? I don't think so. Made 2% if that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 06:33 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvillian718 View Post
Well what do you have to same to the increase in crime this past year in 2010? Also 8% white people in Bed-stuy? I don't think so. Made 2% if that.

I have nothing to say to it seeing as how it's not really relevant to what I was saying.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:00 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
Because as you said, to a lot of people, crime = struggle = respect. They want reasons to convince themselves that NYC ain't all that cool and the drop in crime is a big one that gets used. As backwards and sick as that is to most logically thinking people. lol
They sound like drama queens.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:56 AM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
They sound like drama queens.

Ehh, I don't know. They're just prideful to a fault. For those strict street types, literally their entire lives is built around being "tougher" than everybody else. It's their sole identity and gushing over how tough other cities and their inhabitants are jeopardizes that. Or so I'd imagine.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:29 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
So true... @ bkvillian718 I think that numbers correct. theres alot of white people moving in even on nostrand ave. i was shocked bro... but i mean think about it its 8% white probably 85% Black and 7% Hispanic. and most of those people including the 8% white are pretty much broke so it doesn't really mean drop in crime statistics just more diversity to find crime or be a victim of crime... you saw what Bushwick last year. thats why those yuppies stopped coming over there... you see a spike in crime in Bed-stuy this year you can guarantee the same thing will happen.

Thanks to our fantastic mayor who has not said one truth since taking office this past year... everyone is convinced Brooklyn is the new manhattan and to forget about all the ugly things you hear about it, cause its changing... Then they buy that nonsense and end up realizing their mistake with either a bad situation or just flat out the hood environment. Not being able to sleep out of fear of what may happen, not being able to walk to the corner store past 8pm for fear of getting jumped... These people are coddled and come into these environments thinking that they'll be able to say they live in gritty bed-stuy without the consequences since according to everyone "its getting better"...

Old 01-19-2011, 10:00 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
So true... @ bkvillian718 I think that numbers correct. theres alot of white people moving in even on nostrand ave. i was shocked bro... but i mean think about it its 8% white probably 85% Black and 7% Hispanic. and most of those people including the 8% white are pretty much broke so it doesn't really mean drop in crime statistics just more diversity to find crime or be a victim of crime... you saw what Bushwick last year. thats why those yuppies stopped coming over there... you see a spike in crime in Bed-stuy this year you can guarantee the same thing will happen.

Thanks to our fantastic mayor who has not said one truth since taking office this past year... everyone is convinced Brooklyn is the new manhattan and to forget about all the ugly things you hear about it, cause its changing... Then they buy that nonsense and end up realizing their mistake with either a bad situation or just flat out the hood environment. Not being able to sleep out of fear of what may happen, not being able to walk to the corner store past 8pm for fear of getting jumped... These people are coddled and come into these environments thinking that they'll be able to say they live in gritty bed-stuy without the consequences since according to everyone "its getting better"...
I had friends who used to live in Bed-Stuy (and a block from the Marcy Houses) and were happy with it. They were white, grew up in the suburbs of NYC, wanted to get out of the suburbs and liked having cheap rent for more space. They said their black neighbors were friendly. They were aware that it was a high crime area, and took precautions. They weren't proud they lived in gritty Bed-Stuy, but it was a practical option. One or two of them had a car, and it never got damaged or stolen. They said they could go to the corner store at night, but late at night they knew it was unsafe to walk alone.

As I mentioned before, if you calculate the violent crime / murder rate of "bad" neighborhoods, it still comes out relatively low. East New York overall has a lower violent crime rate than the average for Washington DC. Parts of West Philly felt way sketchier than anything I've seen Brooklyn. And many people have no reason to see the bad parts of Brooklyn and might not realize they exist. When some people hear Brooklyn, they might think of Park Slope, Greenpoint, Kensington, Bay Ridge, Williamsburg, etc and forget the other half of Brooklyn

Old 01-19-2011, 11:48 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:

yea pretty much true the only parts of the stuy where you dont see white people often is around malcom x going towards broadway junction. But west of Stuyvesant ave does have white folks.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I had friends who used to live in Bed-Stuy (and a block from the Marcy Houses) and were happy with it. They were white, grew up in the suburbs of NYC, wanted to get out of the suburbs and liked having cheap rent for more space. They said their black neighbors were friendly. They were aware that it was a high crime area, and took precautions. They weren't proud they lived in gritty Bed-Stuy, but it was a practical option. One or two of them had a car, and it never got damaged or stolen. They said they could go to the corner store at night, but late at night they knew it was unsafe to walk alone.

As I mentioned before, if you calculate the violent crime / murder rate of "bad" neighborhoods, it still comes out relatively low. East New York overall has a lower violent crime rate than the average for Washington DC. Parts of West Philly felt way sketchier than anything I've seen Brooklyn. And many people have no reason to see the bad parts of Brooklyn and might not realize they exist. When some people hear Brooklyn, they might think of Park Slope, Greenpoint, Kensington, Bay Ridge, Williamsburg, etc and forget the other half of Brooklyn
how did you do these calculations? Also im pretty in tune with west philly, and north east philly and west Philly isn't all that bad.

rockaway ave in Brownsville looks more sketchy to me then any street i saw in west philly. Then again its my own personal observation.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:59 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
@ nei you have obviously never been to East New York. I grew up over there and I've been to west philly, hood parts of Boston, Miami, Jersey and chicago and I can tell you without any doubt, East NY is the toughest neighborhood to live in out of all of them. It is easily the worst area in NYC... Ive mentioned this on previous threads before that this is why you cannot go by murder rate or crime rate because that is probably the most horrible way to gauge crime ever. Is it a very good way to do so however, if you're a real estate agent selling the hood to people...

The reason why those numbers seem to be the way they are is because in these hood areas and pretty much NYC locations overall, you have a bunch of people in a relatively small area living together. Then you throw in high concentration of PJ's aside from all the other apartment buildings, and in a sq. mile radius of 2 or 3 miles you can easily have over 100,000 people...

The way you can get a true look at how high the crime levels are for an area is by checking its sq. mile radius, looking at the overall amount of crimes, and then compare on an even ratio the numbers. So for example, lets say ENY has a 2 sq. mile radius while west philly has a 6 sq. mile radius... you take all the crimes of ENY in that radius and multiply it by three. then you can relate those numbers on even fields. When you do that, you'll realize how much crime is happening in such a small location...

Also you have to take into account that NYC is the poster child for falsifying crime statistics... We are the number one city that tries to make crime seem minimal over here when in reality it is only slightly better than where we've been for the last 25-30 years or so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqHxvg9tgqQ

Old 01-19-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
At jordandubriel you'll always have a few people that are gonna recognize especially in the areas you mentioned... I mean Crown Heights and Bronwsville are easily two of the worst areas in Brooklyn...

That being said, go to New Orleans, Miami, Detroit, CT, Mass maybe not all of them but you got alot of people that talk about Brooklyns wack, Brooklyns nothing compared to over here and stuff like that, when that stuff never used to happen... Im not saying that 100% of people feel that way but a growing number of people do and like I said its just comical to me...
actually i think people in new orleans are to far away to even care. But your crazy for saying that about Ct, and MASS. REALLY? i know people from nyc who moved to CT , and say CT is way "safer" then nyc. As for Boston the only reason why they say other peoples cities are wack is because their just angry at the fact that most people in america think boston is a very safe no crime city.

But as for MASS lol lets be for real the Dominicans alone got their gangs up their doing work so i wouldn't think they'd be saying nyc is wack especially if their taking orders from down here.

But i will agree with you with maybe Detroit and Miami. Miami people tend to not new york city people because nyc people come to south beach with their nyc attitudes and the goons sitting across the bridge dont appreciate that.

As for Detroit they also say Chicago, and L.A sis wack so off coarse they wont mind saying nyc is right.

But in Detroit you already saw how the new yorkers dipset took care of unwanted business in Detroit lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City