Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:04 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
WOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. plus, i had cousins from Miami coming here saying "o man, its crazy out here right? yo, walk with us so we dont get trouble" These were Liberty city kids!
I'm not gonna lie though, when they said stuff that i KNEW was wrong, I just let it go. stats and stuff
yea it all depends on who you know i guess. You got people who will be ina crowd where they are shook of a place. But then you got people who will be in a cocky crowd and be like F this city and F this hood all that stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ nei you have obviously never been to East New York. I grew up over there and I've been to west philly, hood parts of Boston, Miami, Jersey and chicago and I can tell you without any doubt, East NY is the toughest neighborhood to live in out of all of them. It is easily the worst area in NYC... Ive mentioned this on previous threads before that this is why you cannot go by murder rate or crime rate because that is probably the most horrible way to gauge crime ever. Is it a very good way to do so however, if you're a real estate agent selling the hood to people...

The reason why those numbers seem to be the way they are is because in these hood areas and pretty much NYC locations overall, you have a bunch of people in a relatively small area living together. Then you throw in high concentration of PJ's aside from all the other apartment buildings, and in a sq. mile radius of 2 or 3 miles you can easily have over 100,000 people...

The way you can get a true look at how high the crime levels are for an area is by checking its sq. mile radius, looking at the overall amount of crimes, and then compare on an even ratio the numbers. So for example, lets say ENY has a 2 sq. mile radius while west philly has a 6 sq. mile radius... you take all the crimes of ENY in that radius and multiply it by three. then you can relate those numbers on even fields. When you do that, you'll realize how much crime is happening in such a small location...

Also you have to take into account that NYC is the poster child for falsifying crime statistics... We are the number one city that tries to make crime seem minimal over here when in reality it is only slightly better than where we've been for the last 25-30 years or so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqHxvg9tgqQ

i never really spent time in Chicago or Miami hoods to compare to east new york. But i have spent time in Philly, and jersey hoods and can easily compare east new york to all of them.

Thats why im surprised at Philly because i normally go to west/northeast Philly and have family their and from staying their it doesnt feel no different from no nyc hood at all.

i saw the same type of crowds in the street, same groups, same type of ghetto influence saw the same diversity(black/puerto ricans/dominicans living with each other), and as for sketchy north east philly doesnt even have that much blight, and west philly to me never seemed more scary then east new york at all. Then again its personal observation.

The part of philly that looks more sketchy then anything in nyc is north philly by the kensington areas and even by temple university.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:10 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
@ jordandubriel its because people talk about areas they have no idea about. @ nei I really do mean this with all the respect in the world but although Im sure you have been to areas in Bed-stuy that may seem decent, there is no way that these areas overall are better than West Philly or other high crime neighborhoods for that matter...

For the last 25 years or so, anyone who thought of Brooklyn, did not think of brighton beach, brooklyn heights, park slope, dyker heights, etc. They thought of Do or Die Bed-stuy, they thought of murder capital country in ENY, they thought of the well in Knickerbocker in Bushwick, they thought of "los sures" in Southside Williamsburg which is still bad, believe me I live around there so I know... its only now because of all this talk about gentrification that people are believing that brooklyn is beautiful when being 100% honest it really isn't...

I won't even mention Brownsville because to me, that is the worst location in the country probably behind some hood in Detroit... Livonia, New lots, East New York Ave, Rockaway in Brownsville are probably some of the most dangerous areas to walk around at all times of day...

Old 01-19-2011, 12:13 PM

ohh by the way my last comment was at the how you di the calculations post... youve posted alot since then

Old 01-19-2011, 12:15 PM

but at jordandubriel... if you go to Hartford or New Haven in CT, or Lawrence in Mass, where all the dominican people from DR moved to, they'll tell you that NYC is wack... Certain parts of New Haven are pretty sketchy... the jungle in New haven is notorious for murders and the city was planning on relocating a bunch of people from that area to try and clean it up... that area reminds me of ENY a little bit, but believe me coming from someone who knows ENY well, that area is a freaking war zone...

Last edited by anon1; 01-19-2011 at 12:31 PM..

Old 01-19-2011, 02:08 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,825 times
Ehh, those calculations only tell half the story. I live in a census tract on Staten Island of like 4,400 people. Within that area last year there were three separate street murders in addition to a mother killing four of her kids and setting the apartment on fire. I'm not gonna bother crunching the numbers (I hate math) but 7 murders per 4,400 people, or even the three (street) murders per 4,400 would probably be a pretty astronomical number. Numbers just fall that way some times. A lot goes into them that sway them one way or another.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
but at jordandubriel... if you go to Hartford or New Haven in CT, or Lawrence in Mass, where all the dominican people from DR moved to, they'll tell you that NYC is wack... Certain parts of New Haven are pretty sketchy... the jungle in New haven is notorious for murders and the city was planning on relocating a bunch of people from that area to try and clean it up... that area reminds me of ENY a little bit, but believe me coming from someone who knows ENY well, that area is a freaking war zone...
lol how can you be fro lawrence and have the nerve to call someplace wack?? the Dominicans that moved to these areas sound confused. worshiping nyc gangs and saying its wack lol. Nowadays where ever Dominicans make up a majority of a hood you will find DDP, AND 3NI in the area.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
btw as for new haven? been their done that. That city was laughter to me. Drove past the bad areas and asked my friend if i could take a nap on the sidewalk with my gucci on. Thats how funny i thought it was but then again looks can be deceiving lol.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:04 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,389 times
Quote:
@ jordandubriel its because people talk about areas they have no idea about. @ nei I really do mean this with all the respect in the world but although Im sure you have been to areas in Bed-stuy that may seem decent, there is no way that these areas overall are better than West Philly or other high crime neighborhoods for that matter...

For the last 25 years or so, anyone who thought of Brooklyn, did not think of brighton beach, brooklyn heights, park slope, dyker heights, etc. They thought of Do or Die Bed-stuy, they thought of murder capital country in ENY, they thought of the well in Knickerbocker in Bushwick, they thought of "los sures" in Southside Williamsburg which is still bad, believe me I live around there so I know... its only now because of all this talk about gentrification that people are believing that brooklyn is beautiful when being 100% honest it really isn't...

I won't even mention Brownsville because to me, that is the worst location in the country probably behind some hood in Detroit... Livonia, New lots, East New York Ave, Rockaway in Brownsville are probably some of the most dangerous areas to walk around at all times of day...
When I think of Brooklyn the first thoughts are Coney Island, Brooklyn Heights promenade, A&S though it's not there any more, Dumbo, the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges, Brighton Beach memoirs, Williamsburgh, The Hasidm in Crown Heights, the Belt Pkwy, Park Slope and the Verrazano in Bay Ridge. No offense but only when you say "blacks in Brooklyn" do images of Brownsville and ENY enter my mind about Brooklyn. Those areas are so far removed and not on the beaten path that I forget they are a part of Brooklyn. I equate Brooklyn more with Italians, the mob, Hasdic Jews and Yuppies.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
@ nei you have obviously never been to East New York. I grew up over there and I've been to west philly, hood parts of Boston, Miami, Jersey and chicago and I can tell you without any doubt, East NY is the toughest neighborhood to live in out of all of them. It is easily the worst area in NYC... Ive mentioned this on previous threads before that this is why you cannot go by murder rate or crime rate because that is probably the most horrible way to gauge crime ever. Is it a very good way to do so however, if you're a real estate agent selling the hood to people...

The reason why those numbers seem to be the way they are is because in these hood areas and pretty much NYC locations overall, you have a bunch of people in a relatively small area living together. Then you throw in high concentration of PJ's aside from all the other apartment buildings, and in a sq. mile radius of 2 or 3 miles you can easily have over 100,000 people...

The way you can get a true look at how high the crime levels are for an area is by checking its sq. mile radius, looking at the overall amount of crimes, and then compare on an even ratio the numbers. So for example, lets say ENY has a 2 sq. mile radius while west philly has a 6 sq. mile radius... you take all the crimes of ENY in that radius and multiply it by three. then you can relate those numbers on even fields. When you do that, you'll realize how much crime is happening in such a small location...

Also you have to take into account that NYC is the poster child for falsifying crime statistics... We are the number one city that tries to make crime seem minimal over here when in reality it is only slightly better than where we've been for the last 25-30 years or so...
I looked up crime data by precinct from the NYPD website, and then found the community board population. A lot of community boards have similar boundaries to precincts. While the violent crime stats might be slightly fake, the murder rate isn't; and i'd assume that violent crime rate is fairly proportional to murder? In any case, East New York came out slightly better than DC in both murder and violent crime overall. Sure, East New York could have sections that are worse, but you could do that for any city as well. Brownsville was in a separate section, and its murder rate came out worse (33 per 100000 while E NY was in the low 20s) Interestingly, its murder rate has stayed about the same since 1995, while other precincts have gotten better.

The area of Philly I saw might not have been West Philly. I don't know Philly all that well. It was a few mile northwest of University City. It had lots of abandoned buildings, seemed rather desolate and my friends thought it was really bad.

And yes, the E NY precinct had about 160,000 people, so as you said it contained areas that were just slightly bad to horrible. Doing crime rates per area would be silly; NYC has so many more people per area of course it would come out higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City