Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:54 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 957,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
When I think of Brooklyn the first thoughts are Coney Island, Brooklyn Heights promenade, A&S though it's not there any more, Dumbo, the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges, Brighton Beach memoirs, Williamsburgh, The Hasidm in Crown Heights, the Belt Pkwy, Park Slope and the Verrazano in Bay Ridge. No offense but only when you say "blacks in Brooklyn" do images of Brownsville and ENY enter my mind about Brooklyn. Those areas are so far removed and not on the beaten path that I forget they are a part of Brooklyn. I equate Brooklyn more with Italians, the mob, Hasdic Jews and Yuppies.

That last sentence is interesting to me. It's crazy how perceptions can vary so drastically from person to person.

Like look at how many sheltered white people think of the Bronx as being full of blacks even though there's far more Hispanics in the borough. People just kinda believe what they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 09:48 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,747,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
That last sentence is interesting to me. It's crazy how perceptions can vary so drastically from person to person.

Like look at how many sheltered white people think of the Bronx as being full of blacks even though there's far more Hispanics in the borough. People just kinda believe what they want.
My perception of Brooklyn is filtered from growing up in Carroll Gardens. Although I'm only about 1/8 Italian growing up in an Italian area probably gives me a distorted view of Brooklyn. My Brooklyn has changed a lot. The old Italian Brooklyn left along w/ my family to the suburbs or Staten Island. I don't even recognize the old neighborhood. The old strongholds like Bensonhurst and Canarsie have turned ethnic. I remember back in the day Flatbush was a nice Jewish area with lots of Kosher meat markets. Now it jerk chicken central. Despite all this I don't think people think of Brooklyn as "hood" like people see the Bronx. Unless, of course they are "hood" themself.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:57 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,747,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post

The Bronx is Latino all the way. There are parts of the Bronx that I'm sure English is not required. Black neighborhoods to me are Bed-Stuy, Central Harlem, SE Queens, BayChester, Brownsville, Flatbush, East New York and any housing project. Blacks love the projects.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:05 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,782,790 times
@ jordandubriel New Havens demographics go something like this: 60% white 30% Black 10% Hispanic... there are parts in New Haven that are nicer than Brooklyn Heights...

But like any neighborhood, New Haven has its really good parts and really bad parts and its not East New York but I wouldn't stand in the street at any time of day, in the jungle section of New Haven... the rest is bad but livable... A Jordandubriel granted, trinitarios was started in NYC, but the movement went to DR and has spread to other neighborhoods... So people come from DR already being 3ni and move to Lawrence and gang bang probably harder than any NYC nabe does... When i go to Lawrence I see DR all around me... everything about that place looks like DR, narrow streets, the way the buildings are, the crime rate... and they do not care for NYC people much and they will come down to NYC and start beef with anybody, those dudes are fearless... not like over here where some Trinis cant even handle LK so they need to team up with the Bloods... the 3nis in mass would spit on the 3nis from most of the NYC nabes...

@ Nei that is why you cant selectively compare... ENYs population may be large but the area itself isn't that big... probably the only place you're safe in that area is Starrett City, and Cypress Hills but even then to most Cypress Hills isn't a part of East New York... And you can falsify the murder rate. Classifying homicides as suicides, declaring a spanish person an illegal and therefore his number doesn't get added in... It happens all the time at NYC @ nei, people just choose to believe what compstat puts out. Thats why when I see total numbers I usually add 30 or 40 murders to the count to get the real numbers...

And once again at jordandubriel you see how you classified Brooklyn you think of Italian, mafia, jews, and yuppies... would you think of Brooklyn that way 10-15 years ago... you just proved my point bro... the way you feel is the way most people feel now about how Brooklyn is... once they see a tough Brooklyn dude and actually come through the borough they realize its all a lie, but over there, all the neighborhoods across the country look at Brooklyn in the exact same way you just described Brooklyn as.

10-15 years ago, most would've probably said hardest hood in the country, lots of black and latino people, and ghetto italian thugs... and they would have been right for the most part. They still would have been missing out on the good parts of Brooklyn but at that time they weren't well known. Now, the breakdown is a little more diverse but people feel the whole borough has gone soft.

Now the breakdown would go more like this high concentrations of blacks and hispanics. italian people for the most part fled brooklyn. Jews in Crown Heights and Williamsburg. and yuppies and hipsters in small concentrations but widespread on the northside of williamsburg...

Old 01-24-2011, 04:28 PM

383 posts, read 1,311,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ nei you have obviously never been to East New York. I grew up over there and I've been to west philly, hood parts of Boston, Miami, Jersey and chicago and I can tell you without any doubt, East NY is the toughest neighborhood to live in out of all of them. It is easily the worst area in NYC... Ive mentioned this on previous threads before that this is why you cannot go by murder rate or crime rate because that is probably the most horrible way to gauge crime ever. Is it a very good way to do so however, if you're a real estate agent selling the hood to people...

The reason why those numbers seem to be the way they are is because in these hood areas and pretty much NYC locations overall, you have a bunch of people in a relatively small area living together. Then you throw in high concentration of PJ's aside from all the other apartment buildings, and in a sq. mile radius of 2 or 3 miles you can easily have over 100,000 people...

The way you can get a true look at how high the crime levels are for an area is by checking its sq. mile radius, looking at the overall amount of crimes, and then compare on an even ratio the numbers. So for example, lets say ENY has a 2 sq. mile radius while west philly has a 6 sq. mile radius... you take all the crimes of ENY in that radius and multiply it by three. then you can relate those numbers on even fields. When you do that, you'll realize how much crime is happening in such a small location...

Also you have to take into account that NYC is the poster child for falsifying crime statistics... We are the number one city that tries to make crime seem minimal over here when in reality it is only slightly better than where we've been for the last 25-30 years or so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqHxvg9tgqQ

Thank You!! Look I'm someone whos has grown up in NYC my whole life! Only six months of my life did i spend outside of NY, and that is when i went to go live with my aunt in West Palm Beach for a semester back in 9th grade. Honestly NYC as whole is still "Bad". All these statistics people read on the internet are all lies, for the most part. Example, people say Clinton Hill is safe. I don't know how there gunna tell me when i live there. Just the other day dude was killed on Lafayette Ave, but that wasn't even reported. word on the block was dude got robbed and then was stabed.

Also i heard people saying things about miami. First off miami is pretty bad. not gunna lie, but nothing like ENY, Brownsville, South Bronx, edanwald, or east harlem. Besides miami has like two bad areas. Liberty City, and little haiti, but what people don't understand is alot of those dudes are NY influnced. Do you know how many new yorkers move to south fl? I mean when i was out in west palm beach every other person i met was from ny, most of them where from good parts. Very popular areas where Bensonhurst, Fort Greene, Ridgwood, and most of the hood people in fl that are from in NY are crown heights and roosevelt.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:43 AM

134 posts, read 126,109 times
Well, Coney Island, Easy New York, Brownsville, Crown Heights, and Flatbush are all dumps.I do real estate on the side, NO ONE wants to buy houses or rent apartments in these areas. I know this is going to sound very UN- Politically correct, but any place where they are a large population of blacks and Hispanics are mostly crime-ridden dumps.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:14 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,782,790 times
@ overdose go to tapscott st. on the projects on Brownsville and tell me Liberty City compares... Brownsville is a warzone my man... I heard South Bronx got a little cleaned up since back in the days so I don't know too much about South Bronx but you cant tell me that Brownsville ain't one of the toughest hoods in the country cause that means that you obviously have NEVER passed thru there... never...

@ speltcrystal as a real estate agent I can see how you view can be skewed towards feeling that way... but honestly I do not know why people tend to focus so much on gentrifying Brooklyn. If you were to step into Queens there are tons of minority dominated areas that are not bad at all... In majority black areas you have Cambria Heights, Laurelton, St. Albans, East Elmhurst isn't too bad and Rosedale is decent. Jackson Heights, and Ridgewood are some certain areas that are mixed but that are predominantly hispanic and these areas are decent as well... No working class area whether it is majority white, black or hispanic is not gonna have its share of crime... it happens, especially in NYC. However, that being said, this isn't a black and hispanic thing, this is an extreme poverty thing and unfortunately the only people that live in those areas with a high number of projects and apartment buildings are poor Black and Hispanic people that for generations have continued living in crime and poverty, or immigrant hispanics who can't afford anything else and unfortunately when times get hard, look for other means to make money...

Being a hispanic that has moved out of a bad area, unlike most people, I'm not some equality nut that ignores the unfortunate truth of most of my people living in NYC... but that is not something that defines us all in general but rather a good few...

Look at areas besides Brooklyn and the Bronx and you'll see.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:20 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,204,128 times
ENY Ave in Ocean Hill looks like a dump, but is this a better area than the areas around Livonia Ave?

Old 01-26-2011, 04:38 PM

383 posts, read 1,311,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
Hold up! Miami's Liberty City and Overtown (which is HELLA worse than little haiti) doesn't match up to the likes of Brownsville and South Bronx??? nah, u frontin type hard.
Nah you wilin son. Brownsville, ENY, and South Bronx are much worst the Overtown, Liberty city, but don't get me wrong those areas are dumd nasty. Those are the worst and most infamous areas in FL.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:22 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,926,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
When I think of Brooklyn the first thoughts are Coney Island, Brooklyn Heights promenade, A&S though it's not there any more, Dumbo, the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges, Brighton Beach memoirs, Williamsburgh, The Hasidm in Crown Heights, the Belt Pkwy, Park Slope and the Verrazano in Bay Ridge. No offense but only when you say "blacks in Brooklyn" do images of Brownsville and ENY enter my mind about Brooklyn. Those areas are so far removed and not on the beaten path that I forget they are a part of Brooklyn. I equate Brooklyn more with Italians, the mob, Hasdic Jews and Yuppies.
When I think about brooklyn I think about the cosby show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City