Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:05 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,288,634 times

Advertisements

The Mill is a great spot, and any event/wedding I have been to there has been well done. Another place you might consider is in Tarrytown, Castle on the Hudson. Castle On The Hudson, NY - Official Web Site > Weddings & Social Events

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 09:55 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,239,311 times
If you want to get married near the Cloisters, you can do a tent outside of the New Leaf Cafe in Ft Tryon. The food is amazing, but I heard they can be a bit disorganized. However, I planned my wedding three years ago and there could be completely new management. I've also been to a great frugal wedding at the Old Stone Barn in Brooklyn.

You can certainly have a lovely wedding for 15k or less in NYC. We did. Some of our biggest cost savers were:
I bought my JCrew dress on ebay
I made the corsages and boutonnieres for readers and family (we didn't have a wedding party)
I had my bouquet made at Whole Foods (amazing and only around 30 bucks)
We had our reception in a non-profit space (check out Housing Works and Common Ground)
I used non-floral decoration at the reception (you can get grosses of votives in Chelsea super cheap)
No unity candle, pew bows, favors or other junk that just gets tossed
We had a brownie sundae bar instead of cake
We served a highly rated cava instead of champagne and had free-flowing sangria instead of a full bar (it was a summer wedding)
Asked a professional photographer friend to gift us with taking pictures of the ceremony (not the reception - I wanted him to enjoy the party)
Hired someone just starting out with a good eye to videotape everything - but not edit, as I can do that on my Mac
And I got together with a bunch of other brides on indiebride.com to form a co-op to work at each other's weddings so we wouldn't have to hire coordinators

Good luck!

Old 01-05-2011, 07:24 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,239,311 times
Double posting to add that the Conservatory Garden in Central Park is affordable, but you can't bring in chairs or amplified sound. And if you do a small ceremony with a larger reception at a nearby restaurant, the Ladies' Pavilion is a gorgeous spot for a park ceremony. (search it on Flickr and you will see several weddings)

Old 01-05-2011, 08:13 AM

917 posts, read 2,940,572 times
UpsonDowns, Thanks for the tips- I work in the arts and have friends who are designers, so I'm actually really excited about the decorating part because I'll be in my element (and thanks to 7 years of dressmaking experience, I'm making my own dress along with another seamstress friend). I am happy to hear that I'm not the only bride who doesn't care about unity candles and flowers and stuff like that. We are going to do little wedding favors of treats from Trader Joe's because we met there and he bought an entire spread of TJ's food for a surprise breakfast when he proposed, but they are very cheap.

BMWguydc, have you been to a wedding at Castle on the Hudson? I found out about them a few weeks ago, but I haven't been up yet since I'm still in preliminary searches. It did look nice and their brunch prices are very very affordable. A sizable portion of our family lives in Rockland/Westchester, so that could work well.

BTW, our budget for just the food/venue deposit is $15K for 75-80 people (we're inviting about 90 but I know that some of them won't be able to come), so I think we should be ok there, although I'd love to spend less if possible.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:47 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,288,634 times
I have been to a wedding at the castle, and the couple is still together! It was a very nice affair, and the setting is secluded and nice, atop a hill. You can see the castle from areas around, including 287, but it's not in a wide-open area, and since it was a private home, has that country estate feel to it.

The other events I have been to at the castle have been consistently good, and the restaurant is superb. I would definitely check it out, especially if you have Westchester-Rockland-Fairfield guests as it's a very convenient spot.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-22-2011, 03:56 PM

4,646 posts, read 4,516,138 times
If good food is important, I would definitely recommend Abigail Kirsch. We had our wedding at an AK venue and the food was incredible. I'd also like to second the comment about having a Saturday afternoon wedding. It really cuts down costs across the board.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:15 PM

57 posts, read 131,655 times
Hi I don't know how useful this will be to you but I'll put it out there anyway.

Last June my cousin got married in Central Park, it was so lovely and so different to anything we normally have over here. 17 of us flew over from Scotland for it, in the afternoon they married in central park then had the reception meal at the Hotel Plaza Athenee, it wasn't far from Central Park and was truly beautiful. I'm sorry I can't be specific with costs but she did say she got the return flights (for 2 adults and 3 kids), 2 hotel rooms for 2 weeks in midtown, the reception and meal at Athenee, inlcuding all licenses, wedding planner and limos to and from for £16,000 (I'm not sure how that works out in dollars). So that included their honeymoon too.

It was a great day but then again I am saying that from the view of an out of towner (way out of town if that).

Hope you have a lovely day with which ever direction you choose to go in!

Manhattan New York City Hotels | Upper East Side Hotels in Manhattan | Plaza Athenee

Old 03-23-2011, 10:37 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,556,773 times
The (decent) restaurant my step-brother chef's at in dumbo hosts wedding receptions regularly. Often the whole place would be closed for it...usually on Sundays. No idea what it cost's to do this.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:48 AM

18 posts, read 73,880 times
I am also getting married in the summer of 2012 and we decided on Giando on the Water in Brooklyn. We are getting married 7/3/2012 and it was $90 a person for the works (open top shelf bar, 4 courses, stacked cocktail hour). If you wanted to do a lunch wedding there, I'm sure it'll be even less expensive, and the view is really incredible. This place allows my fiance and I to get the best of both worlds: city feel without city prices. I would have loved to have my reception at The Foundry, but it was too small for my guest list.

The website for Giando on the water is: Giando on the Water

The website for The Foundry is: The Foundry L.I.C.

As a side note, I checked out the Bronx Botanical Gardens and Steiner Studios Stage 6 (both Abigail Kirsch venues) and they were terribly expensive. What upset me about the Gardens is that they didn't even have an outdoor patio area for the cocktail hour-- why have it at the gardens if you really can't appreciate the gardens? The inside room had murals of flowers on the walls, but hardly any windows. For $180pp, I'd like to see real flowers.

You can go to TheKnot.com to check out venues according to price and preferences. Lastly, Amy and Anne at Kool Events were amazing in helping me find venues, although I didn't actually end up going through with any of them because my guest list kept growing. They work like a real estate agent-- you don't pay them anything; they get a commission from the restaurants/catering halls for mentioning them.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-11-2011, 10:12 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,520,439 times
I got nauseous just reading this and thinking about being in this predicament one day.

If/when I do get married, it will be a destination wedding on an island somehere. Whoever wants to come can come. Thankfully i'm with a woman who sees it the same way. Cant see myself dealing with the stress of a traditional wedding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City