Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 01:39 PM

383 posts, read 1,315,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Eastside wonda they have been coming back with a knife for decades upon decades now..this isn't anything new or unusual. Also, Klato, just cuz you did not partake in it doesn't mean other kids don't.

It would be more telling if we knew the age breakdowns of the perpetrators and victims. I know that when I was a teenager, "assaults" were common among my peer group towards my peer group. Nobody bothered adults.
i find this kat funny, IMO sobroguy i think the only place that you would think is bad is Iraq or somthing. I mean like "kids fight all the time" kids stab/shot each other all the time" now thats not your exact words but thats what it comes off sounding like. I understand your from the south bx, one of the most dangerous areas of NYC, but you try really hard to sugercoat everything way to much. Its ok to be real somtimes dude.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:47 PM

383 posts, read 1,315,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansean View Post
real quick guys, I just moved back to NYC yesterday. I'm staying with a buddy, and his roommate is NYPD. he told me flat out crime is out of control everywhere, although manhattan is generally the safest of the boroughs. also, don't believe stats. NYPD lies about reported crimes. they report murders as assaults, etc, so people don't know what's really happening. I don't want to say more, and I won't say where the guy works, don't want to risk jamming him up for telling the truth. suffice to say that he seriously questioned my coming back to NY considering the crime and economic situation..
Thanks for telling us NY'ers somthing we already know.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:49 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
Well the reality is, violence in NYC, with knives and gangs etc, has been happening for over 100 years and is part of NYC culture and history. That is not sugarcoating, that is simply acknowledging that what we see here is nothing new or out of the ordinary. The most violent gangs were the Irish and Italian mobs, not the kids you see running around these days doing stupid crap cuz they are bored.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:01 PM

19,025 posts, read 13,932,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansean View Post
they report murders as assaults, etc, so people don't know what's really happening.
While I won't argue that crime stats are no misreported in some categories, or that there is a HUGE flaw in the way the reporting works even if nothing was "fudged" (more on that in a second), there is absolutely no room for changing a murder into an assault. I second that the guy is likely a rookie and likely not in the know.

As far as what I alluded to before, the major flaw is that COMPSTAT does not report an assault unless it is a felony, therefore, not only do the vast majority of assaults go unnoticed, but there is an opening for certain types of police bosses to categorize robberies as misd. assaults to avoid "taking a number".

That is the flaw that needs to be dealt with. Changing murders into assaults doesn't exist.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:29 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
While I won't argue that crime stats are no misreported in some categories, or that there is a HUGE flaw in the way the reporting works even if nothing was "fudged" (more on that in a second), there is absolutely no room for changing a murder into an assault. I second that the guy is likely a rookie and likely not in the know.

As far as what I alluded to before, the major flaw is that COMPSTAT does not report an assault unless it is a felony, therefore, not only do the vast majority of assaults go unnoticed, but there is an opening for certain types of police bosses to categorize robberies as misd. assaults to avoid "taking a number".

That is the flaw that needs to be dealt with. Changing murders into assaults doesn't exist.
While I agree with most of your points on here I think you are a bit naive as to how compstat can work... Nothing on there can be completely trusted... Homicides can become aggravated assaults (for example if someone got beat-down and didn't die right away, that could be an example)... they can go unreported if the homicide was undocumented, self-defense, not enough evidence and therefore it must be "natural causes" etc... believe me the numbers that we see are nowhere near accurate and while some on here do speak the truth when they say every major city does it... there is no way they can objectively say most of the major cities have as much invested on being the safest big city as NYC does... Reports have come out on more than a few occasions about NYC precincts forging numbers to lower the crime rate. Same thing happens in areas like Chicago, LA, Atlanta... etc.

The truth of the matter is going by what the numbers tell us and you can get a feel for yourself, we are nowhere near where we were 20 years ago... that being said last 2-3 years (at least in this city) the violent crime rate has been increasing, racial tension due to a variety of reasons has more people on edge than in recent previous years and we are still suffering from a struggling economy... what's the difference between nowadays and back then... crack isn't as popular, most people take more pride in their neighborhoods now, arson isn't as big, less graffitti has made the city overall look like less of a dump, police presence is strong in bad areas, and there are more things to do now to keep bored youth busy so there's less people outside doing nothing...

Put this same generation in the 70s, 80s and 90s we'd be seeing the same things we saw back then...

Old 08-11-2011, 09:13 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,132 times
JFK Airport larcenies surge almost 30 percent in first six months of 2011, sources say - NYPOST.com=

watch your bags please...

Old 08-12-2011, 10:34 AM

166 posts, read 443,634 times
Cops seeking another man suspected of groping women - am New York

Not a good week for East Elmhurst...so the infamous "Upper East Side Groper" was caught, turned out to be living in East Elmhurst...then 2 days later, another report of a groper in East Elmhurst comes out...

This is actually the first I heard of this and I live right in the area...have not seen one flyer up, yet I work near where the Upper East Side attacks took place and the neighborhood was plastered with flyers.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:43 AM

810 posts, read 836,559 times
A disturbing and possibly race motivated stabbing of a 9 year old Chinese boy. This happened in Sheepshead Bay, as the boy and his grandmother were walking near a construction site. Two black males saw them and rushed toward the boy to stab his stomach. Surveillance video shows the two suspects running away from the crime scene.

Police Search For Two Suspects Who Stabbed Young Brooklyn Boy - NY1.com

Old 08-13-2011, 05:11 PM

202 posts, read 686,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
A disturbing and possibly race motivated stabbing of a 9 year old Chinese boy. This happened in Sheepshead Bay, as the boy and his grandmother were walking near a construction site. Two black males saw them and rushed toward the boy to stab his stomach. Surveillance video shows the two suspects running away from the crime scene.

Police Search For Two Suspects Who Stabbed Young Brooklyn Boy - NY1.com
Could be a gang initiation. Seems pretty random.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:37 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
Again with the race baiting Allen? I ask that everyone take a moment and read the article, and notice NOWHERE did they mention the race of the attackers, yet Allen calls them black males.

Allen you are gonna get banned dude, cut the bull. Allen is nothing more than a race baiter..dude get a life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.