Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 03:33 PM

669 posts, read 1,270,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
Not really true. Just look at the Bronx in the 160s, 170s, 180s, 190s, 200s... very very few projects and it's still bad. Hunts Points and Soundview too.
I said there are still a few bad neighborhoods but right now most of these random violent crimes happen in or around the projects.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:38 PM

669 posts, read 1,270,713 times
Does anybody know the total number of murders this year I heard it was down compared to last year around this time.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:09 PM

33,879 posts, read 47,070,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
Does anybody know the total number of murders this year I heard it was down compared to last year around this time.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...ics/cscity.pdf

According to Compstat, 323 murders citywide as of August 28th, 2011. I know the number has jumped up since then due to this past weekend.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-06-2011, 05:17 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,796,082 times
@ joshd9124 http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...ics/cscity.pdf

The latest statistics are shown here and you can see the comparison from this year to last year... As of the August 22nd-28th statistics murder is down 8.8% this year, but last couple of weeks has seen an increase in murders as you can see from the week shown in the link as well as last week and the more disturbing trend that we have been seeing for the past two years or so is that the violent crimes have continued to increase since 2009... While NYPD and Comissioner Kelly are doing everything in their power to fudge statistics and convince the public that we are much safer than the actual numbers would reveal, unfortunately even they cannot cover up the disturbing trend of the rise of felony assaults... If you look at the 10 year crime data link which is posted on this website (NYPD - Office of the Chief of Department) on the bottom (Historical crime data) and you link to the 7 major offenses from 2000-2010 you'll see that we are currently on pace this year for felony assault numbers that are on par with 04-05 numbers and have been rising since 09... Rapes have also increased dramatically over the last couple of years as well; and while others weren't willing to admit at first that this issue could not be accounted for, the numerous articles of serial rapists, or sexual assaulters can confirm the notion that crimes like these have increased in recent years as well... Fact is, whether we choose to believe it or not this city seems to be getting worse in terms of a multitude of things (i.e.- Crime, QOL, COL, Racial tension, unemployment, etc.) And like someone else had mentioned either in this thread or in another one it seems like this recent spate of violence that we saw this past weekend has been a serious wake-up call to our mayor about the reality of where this city is going if he doesn't get his priorities in order...

Old 09-06-2011, 05:57 PM

18,953 posts, read 13,838,201 times
A note on Felony Assaults. While the PD and Mayor will certainly come up with more creative ways to spin this, it is true that a new law has greatly increased the assaults that must be reported, which will skew the results for a few years at least.

Previously, choking someone for a brief amount of time and not causing an injury, was legally considered harassment. More than likely there would be another form of assault in the incident, but not necessarily a felony. Now, even briefly grabbing a person by the neck can be considered felony strangulation, which is counted as Felony Assault for COMPSTAT purposes.

Take that for what its worth.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:57 PM

Wasn't that just put into effect not too long ago... Nonetheless it has no bearing on the increase we have seen over the past couple of years... Personally it just seems like an easy way out to give excuses for the crime rate... Very similar to Comissioner Kelly saying that we changed the way we classified rape victims... In the end it'll turn out to be a very clever way of saying that the numbers are only so high because we have changed the way we constitute crimes... Bloomberg and his Police Commissioner puppet never cease to amaze me...

Old 09-07-2011, 06:49 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,343,139 times
Anon stop trying to scare people. There is absolutely nothing scary about felony assaults, as you and I know full well this is typically kids doing what kids do..fighting and being stupid. They hang out and fight eachother, or fight rival buildings, or fight rival schools....that's just what kids do and always have done..and was far worse decades ago when there was a "gang" for every block, every school, every race, every building, etc...and all they did was fight all day..cuz that's just how it was.

For all the hoopla, the murder rate is actually down this year vs last year, although with the recent violence it will rise but still be below last year. You are now searching for anything to support your story, so you are resorting to teens fighting, and the always inconclusive rape category, which has more to do with how many women report rape rather than actual rapes.

You are certainly trying your best to scare people.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:23 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,343,139 times
It's nice to be white and wealthy (and a gun-toting criminal) in NYC:

“Boarding-school bandit” receives one-year jail term for three Central Park muggings - NYPOST.com

"The wealthy thug known as the “boarding-school bandit” for his one-night crime spree involving three Central Park gunpoint muggings landed a sweetheart deal -- one year behind bars -- yesterday, prompting outrage from the mother of one victim."

Old 09-07-2011, 08:46 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,916,518 times
I thought this vid very funny. It shows the real life of youths in Washington Heights/Harlem.

The Real Washington Heights/Harlem - YouTube

Old 09-07-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ joshd9124 http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...ics/cscity.pdf

The latest statistics are shown here and you can see the comparison from this year to last year... As of the August 22nd-28th statistics murder is down 8.8% this year, but last couple of weeks has seen an increase in murders as you can see from the week shown in the link as well as last week and the more disturbing trend that we have been seeing for the past two years or so is that the violent crimes have continued to increase since 2009... While NYPD and Comissioner Kelly are doing everything in their power to fudge statistics and convince the public that we are much safer than the actual numbers would reveal, unfortunately even they cannot cover up the disturbing trend of the rise of felony assaults... If you look at the 10 year crime data link which is posted on this website (NYPD - Office of the Chief of Department) on the bottom (Historical crime data) and you link to the 7 major offenses from 2000-2010 you'll see that we are currently on pace this year for felony assault numbers that are on par with 04-05 numbers and have been rising since 09... Rapes have also increased dramatically over the last couple of years as well; and while others weren't willing to admit at first that this issue could not be accounted for, the numerous articles of serial rapists, or sexual assaulters can confirm the notion that crimes like these have increased in recent years as well... Fact is, whether we choose to believe it or not this city seems to be getting worse in terms of a multitude of things (i.e.- Crime, QOL, COL, Racial tension, unemployment, etc.) And like someone else had mentioned either in this thread or in another one it seems like this recent spate of violence that we saw this past weekend has been a serious wake-up call to our mayor about the reality of where this city is going if he doesn't get his priorities in order...
First off Sobroguy you already know what I'm about so to continue saying what you used to say years ago after you know how I really am is just ignorant... You already know that my intention is not to spread fear but rather to spread caution because too many people look at the one glaring statistic "safest city in America" and assume that no crime happens and having that mentality will get you into serious trouble...

That phrase literally should be the slogan for city-data. I cannot tell you how many people moving into this city have spoken about neighborhoods like Harlem, Wash Heights, South Bronx, Bushwick, etc. as if they don't have crime anymore because "we are the safest city in America"... It is idiotic and convincing people that what they're saying is true and that they have nothing to worry about not only is ignorant but it puts them in harm's way as well.

Now don't get me wrong in no way am I saying that if you move to these areas you will become an instant target because many others have made these areas home in recent years and have been fine... But what I am saying is that even though crime can happen anywhere in this city you are putting yourself in a far greater risk of being a victim of a crime if you move to these neighborhoods even to this day with the decrease in crime over the past 15-20 years...

Now i want you to re-read my post and tell me where I exaggerated something... Tell me that the links that i posted and the statistics that i mentioned were fabricated... Tell me that what I'm saying about the police commissioner fudging statistics (to the point where now they are even late in posting the arrests within the schools because and I quote "we want to make sure that the numbers are completely accurate") is wrong... Anyone with a brain or who chooses to see past agendas knows what that means... Also tell me where I'm wrong in terms of rape victims... If we were to take a poll of all the women in the city and ask them whether they felt safer in 2008 or now what would they say?

You seem to think that I am saying crime is reverting to its crack days... Nobody is saying that... I'm saying that we are getting worse in terms of recent previous years and it seems that (not only in terms of crime) but in other aspects this city is declining... Tell me how my opinion that I supported through the links and numerous articles that have been posted this year show me to be wrong or an extreme exaggerator...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.