Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 09:07 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times

Advertisements

And funny thing is now the numbers are out regarding his popularity which the news made it seem SOOOO dramatic when in reality it wasn't nearly as dramatic as it should have been.

In october his approval rating was 50% Last week 37*
Second question: Do you feel Mayor Bloomberg handled this storm poorly? 71% disaproved

Im sorry, WHAT? So 29% of people felt he did a great job clearing up the city as a whole. Man does he have his people voting for these things. If he were to simply have asked people outside of Manhattan im sure that number would have been in the 90s. and still 37 brilliant percent of people still think he is a fantastic mayor...

What are people thinking, I have no idea but anyways I'm just tired and fed up with this guy already. If I dont ever see him in my neighborhood again or on the news I would not mind at all.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:30 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Anon you are saying NYC is worse off under Bloomberg? Really? Things will get better once he is gone? And who is waiting in the wings that you feel will do a better job...Thompkins? Really? Had "Vote for me I have no platform but at least I am not Bloomberg" Thompkins won the last election, you would be understanding what it means to have someone who has no concept how to run a city. And then we had suckas like Wiener who didn't have the guts to even run against Bloomberg....if you are so self-defeatist, weak, and insecure in your abilities that you would not even run against Bloomberg, how are we supposed to believe you can run NYC! Geez. I get that you are radically anti-Bloomberg but you should be thankful we avoided that catastrophe of Thompkins and his ilk.

As for my forecast, it's as good as anyone else's guess. However, what we have learned is that 2009's record low rate was an anamoly and 2010 was on par with the record lows of 2008 and 2007....and I see no reason for the murder rate to go substantially hire than recent trends...although QOL in NYC will certainly deteriorate over the next 2 years.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:46 AM

At Sobroguy I do agree with you that those two amazingly would have been worse than Bloomberg but that doesn't make Bloomberg a fantastic option, at the time I guess people just assumed he was the lesser of two evils.

And I'm not radically anti-Bloomberg, I'm anti-dictator qualities which Bloomberg seems to have a good portion of them. The guy can't even take his well-deserved punches because he'd probably go ballistic against the media. It's so obvious watching him that he is nasty as sin but he plays the political card very well. However, when pushed to the edge you see the man he truly is. Watching his conference he made his brief speech and then couldn't take not one question, he had to leave. That is the mark of a weak man I don't care how anyone else spins it. If you made a mistake you man up to that mistake, take whatever criticism comes your way and you apologize. He did none of the above.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:04 PM

I see him differently...he gets down to business and in order to get things done in NYC you have to come across as a dictator..ie. take control and GET IT DONE. Otherwise things languish and nothing ever happens..and this mentality is viewed by many as being a dictator or control freak...I see it as the only way to get Moderator cut: language done.

I think we have languished and lived in limbo for long enough...Bloomberg has taken the reins and got Moderator cut: language done which made our city much better and that affordable housing initiative, million trees initiatives, expansion of retail developments across the 5 boroughs, massive rezoning, and increase in parkland will benefit New Yorkers for decades and help ensure we are successful.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 01-07-2011 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 01-07-2011, 12:56 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
well idk because of the early snow storma nd this snow stuff going on right now i beleive the murder count will be lower for January and February. But i shall see when june comes because wensday night looked a hot night on gothamist which makes sense because the snow is pretty much cleared out.

But i think this year the count might go down but not down to 2009 levels of 471 i still think their will be 500 or close to 500 homicides.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:59 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
i also find some people who live in nyc or talk about nyc to be pretty lame.

i just read nynj link and people actually say "its a shame that this cold snap doesn't last all year". What the hell some people are naive. Ruin the weather just to end crime which probably didn't effect you at all smh.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:12 AM

At sobroguy my man I'm not even gonna bother ever asking anything about Dictator Bloomberg again because obviously you are either him in the flesh or you are completely blinded by his rule. Its ok though... Nazi soldiers were blinded by Hitler's reign as well so to each his own. At jordan dubriel I can see why you think that crime will go down but the trend and situations that NYC is in right now should actually indicate the opposite.

Because of the way NYC is right now overall and (not how its painted to be) im going to say that even compstat will have to accept the fact that theres only so much crime that can be covered up, and we will see an increase in the violent crime category once again this year. That being said, it wont be as dramatic an increase as last year was since "crime" was so low in 09'.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:03 PM

@ overdose... maybe to us its a bit much but if you read what sobroguy wrote he agreed to it himself... In his eyes Bloomberg really can do no wrong...

But getting back to crime I have a question... Since crime rate spiked in 2010 you saw alot of gentrification freeze up in certain areas. Hipsters stopped coming in droves to areas like Bushwick, Bed-stuy, and Harlem and even some moved out... So I guess my question is do people think that people of last year's crime rate spiking the hipster phase will die out or do you think it will resurface this year since many feel there will be a drop in the crime rate this year...

Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 AM

Bloomberg does plenty wrong, however he has done far more good than bad..which is much more than I can say for 99% of elected officials..so in my eyes he is an overall positive, not a negative. He is not prefect, but neither is he a "dictator" or "control freak"....he is an effective Mayor that has a vision for NYC that I don't disagree with, and he gets things done to move us forward. I think those are all reasonable statements.

As for crime specifically, it's too early to tell anything for 2011..but I still believe it will be similar to last year, which was on par with the record low years of 2008 and 2007..and well below 2006!

Old 01-10-2011, 10:19 AM

At sobroguy you're last statement is fair. At your first statement we'll have to just agree to disagree. Everything you said makes sense in theory, I just don't agree on Bloomberg. I have my opinion and you have yours and I respect it.

At overdose I will say this I never thought in a million years I'd ever see a hipster step foot in Nostrand Avenue but thats exactly what I saw when taking the A train the other day. I mean, was it a soft year compared to other neighborhoods in Brooklyn? I really didn't pay much attention to bed-stuy as I did other hoods like Bushwick in East NY but to see the hipsters there makes me think that things aren't as bad as people make it seem to be with Bed-stuy to this day.

Last edited by anon1; 01-10-2011 at 11:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City