Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 02:42 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs073pct.pdf
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs075pct.pdf

once again the 73rd and 75th precinct are leading in murders with 8... while East NY is slightly better than last year though worse overall when last year at this point there were 11 murders... The 73rd precinct in Brownsville has gone from 5 last year to 8 at this point and although the numbers say the population is relatively high at around 90,000 people that area is all projects and the it only takes 1 square mile radius while East NY covers 2.5 square miles... Both those areas are a mess but at least East NY has some decent areas... Unfortunately for the residents of Brownsville crime surrounds them everywhere they go...

@ supermario... this ain't a slight at your hood... you got it man... the Bronx is bad... I'm just talking about the crime that goes on in my old neighborhoods and it really sucks that this continues to happen...
I don't feel slighted at all. Brownsville and East NY do suck.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:12 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
For the past few days bkvillian and supermario has been extremely worried about the crime in Mott Haven, but enough about that. Bville is back in the news, an acclaimed Jazz musician has been missing for a few days and was recently found dead stuffed in a storage trunk in his home.

Stanley Wright, missing Brooklyn jazz musician, found dead, stuffed in storage trunk in his basement

Also Queens had a couple of murders this weekend.

Missing 40-year-old man killed with blow to the head, found outside Queens warehouse

Queens woman Sharon Lee-Hill found stabbed to death in her apartment

What do all these murders have in common? They were not drug or gang related, they are all innocent people and they got murdered.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:31 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
We cannot say for sure whether these cases were drug related or not...it's too soon to know. Just because it is not obviously drug related does not mean it isn't (although a reasonable person would say these people were not involved with gangs).

Innocent people do get murdered, about 20% of murder victims in fact, with the other 80% of victims knowing their assailants, and 70% of those specifically drug related. So yes it does happen..you will always have the jilted lover, or the neighbor gone crazy, or the random act of violence for a cell phone/$20 bucks, or the just plain lunatic, anywhere you go in the US.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:15 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
@ sobroguy it's true that on average about 20% of people that get murdered are innocent while 70% were drug related and 80% knew their assailant... that being said this year the trend in these "scary stories" as you call them are worrysome because they haven't been your typical case all the time...

And check this out...
Mayor Plowing Ahead With 4,200 Layoffs to Cut Budget - The Chief: News Of The Week

Just what NYC needs... more lay-offs... I am positive that this will be a great incentive for everyone to remain calm and work to continue reducing the crime rate...

Old 05-11-2011, 02:08 PM

Anon, in the real world we have to live on a budget..and cuts are never good but a part of life. Do you think it is better to to tap the $2 billion in the city’s Retiree Health Benefits Trust Fund as proposed by the Union Leader? The answer is NO...why?

1. Throwing more money at the problem does not solve the underlying structural issue, and only serves to punt the ball again and again and again...until we can't punt anymore..and then what?

2. The City's Retiree Trust Fund is not an account to be raided because we cannot be fiscally disciplined anymore than raiding your child's college savings is a good idea to raid because you can't get your gambling under control. The problem is not solved and you simply create another one...i.e. there will be no trust fund! And then what?

The Unions never want to solve a problem, they only want to keep the gravy train going..and if there were a Social Security fund, they would say "tap that", if there were a fund that keeps us from sinking into the Hudson they would say "tap that." They don't care..they just want to keep their pockets lined at the expense of everyone else. That article is crap...so just ignore it.

And for the record, the police force has been decimated over the past 10 years...and what has been the result? An equally impressive drop in crime, not the opposite. So alleging cuts = more crime has not only NOT been proven, the opposite has been shown...the reduction in police = reduction in crime.

Whether this trend continues going forward, who knows, but as of now, I would say we can stand further cuts to an already bloated civil service system. We have something like 300,000 civil servants, and he wants to cut a few thousand...I think we'll be alright.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:39 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
of everyone else. That article is crap...so just ignore it.

And for the record, the police force has been decimated over the past 10 years...and what has been the result? An equally impressive drop in crime, not the opposite. So alleging cuts = more crime has not only NOT been proven, the opposite has been shown...the reduction in police = reduction in crime.
No judgement, truly a question: do you really believe that less police in streets equals less crime? If so, please explain this ideology. I'm truly interested cause this isn't usually heard.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:42 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Actually as soon as the police forces dramatically lowered last year violent crime has increased from the 2008-09 years... And believe I hear what you're saying about continuing to tap into the fund being a problem... And I actually am okay with what the mayor is doing even though it affects my co-workers... Thankfully my department desperately needs math teachers so I'm safe...

What my issue is that we had spent so much unnecessary money in the public educational system to begin with and it was being wasted... In my school there were brand new labtops just taking up space in the storage facilities that we couldn't use and then a year later they were replaced with brand new top of the line ones when the others were just fine...

I'm all for making the tough decisions that need to be done... but my problem is that it shouldn't have come this far in the first place... Budjets were mishandled and now because of the screw-ups from the head positions (blame doesn't lie simply on the mayor) teachers who had nothing to do with this have to lose their jobs...

And another thing is that you've even spoken about the recent uptick in crime saying how some people get restless when the economy gets tough and that's all it is... now you're backtracking saying that crime is reducing... You can't have it both ways...

Fact is violent crime has been on the rise and after what seems to be a blip in march and early april... the murder rate is closing in on last year again when 2006 aside was the highest since 04'... Again nowhere near previous levels but it went from 461 to 536 in one year and that is a significant jump...

Old 05-12-2011, 08:53 AM

I believe that the reduction in the headcount went with an increase in efficiency, better technology, and more effective policing strategies as well as working more closely with community groups. The same applies with many companies who become leaner, more efficient, and utilize better technology and shrink their workforce. The police force should be no different.

So long as they continue to improve their skills, become more effective and efficient, utilize the best technology, etc...they could decrease head count further. To what extent the baseline headcount should be I dunno..I will leave that to the experts.

Anon to clarify I am saying that there may be an uptick in crime..but that's normal. But at this time it is pointless to say "crime is going up"..it is too early to tell....and it is too early to tell whether the long term decreasing crime trend is changing.

This is all muchadoo about nothing...crime rates will fluctuate, and it is the long term trend that matters. As of now, it is too early to tell, but some violent crime has increased YTD...and to that I say..so what.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:17 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
The crime will increase substantially during the summer months from last year. There is already tension and bad wibe in the air. Something is going wrong. A return to crack era figures is not excluded it, it will happen sooner or later. Aint gunna no Northroses, Tiffany's or Orions help, IMO...

Old 05-12-2011, 10:33 AM

So now we are going with some sort of "tension and bad vibes in the air"..something is going wrong? Huh? Did you light your botanica candle of Mary and it told you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City