Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 01:46 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times

Advertisements

Quick question wasn't last weekend the weekend that had 8 murders in 3 days? Why does it only show 4 murders listed for the week of 5/30-6/5...

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...ics/cscity.pdf

Old 06-14-2011, 12:31 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times
141st between Cypress and St. Ann's. Not so nice, but one block south on 140th full of new homes.

So a mixed bag it is.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:28 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Im at work reading the ny post nypd blotter. Far rockaway has a murder this week. Two bullets lodged in victimz head. Asl a murder took place in brownsville aswell.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:50 AM

68 posts, read 117,643 times
Hi everyone. I'm an ex-New Yorker (still go back and forth from time to time) residing in the much-maligned Los Angeles.
Now I have an honest question, and please don't take it as an incitement for a nasty argument.
What is the obsession with New York crime-here specifically? Now, I know given New York's history, as well as the proximity between people may make people a little more concerned about some increases in crime.
But the fact remains that New York still has a significantly lower per capita crime rate than most major US cities.
I don't see "official crime threads" on other city pages. So why NY? Is it the "tough guy" thing?
Let me also add that growing up in BrooklynI was mugged several times so I'm no stranger to the dangerous side of the city. I also grew up in the early nineties when murders where at their highest recorded numbers. Back then a neighborhood like Park Slope looked like a slum with crack viles on the streets.
But, as we all know, New York has been gentrified over the years to an almost obscene degree. I felt that I was more in danger of being frisked in the amount of rent than anything else in the last years I lived there.
Even LA where I am now, despite a major drop in crime, has higher murder rates than NY relative to the population.
It's actually shocking that in a city of over eight-million people there aren't twice the number of murders. Look, any crime is worth being concerned over, but it seems just a bit out of wack considering the reality.
If anything the major concern of New Yorkers should be the commercialization and gentrification of everything. This is what pushes people into poverty, and makes the city that is supposedly the "greatest" to be completely unaffordable for average folks.
Finally, I just want to reiterate that I'm not trying to start a war over this. I just honestly wanted to ask that question and bring up a point that seems neglected here.
And sorry for the long post.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:30 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Also a guy stabbed his mother the head with a knife in harlem. saw this in the daily news.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:59 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilove View Post
Hi everyone. I'm an ex-New Yorker (still go back and forth from time to time) residing in the much-maligned Los Angeles.
Now I have an honest question, and please don't take it as an incitement for a nasty argument.
What is the obsession with New York crime-here specifically? Now, I know given New York's history, as well as the proximity between people may make people a little more concerned about some increases in crime.
But the fact remains that New York still has a significantly lower per capita crime rate than most major US cities.
I don't see "official crime threads" on other city pages. So why NY? Is it the "tough guy" thing?
Let me also add that growing up in BrooklynI was mugged several times so I'm no stranger to the dangerous side of the city. I also grew up in the early nineties when murders where at their highest recorded numbers. Back then a neighborhood like Park Slope looked like a slum with crack viles on the streets.
But, as we all know, New York has been gentrified over the years to an almost obscene degree. I felt that I was more in danger of being frisked in the amount of rent than anything else in the last years I lived there.
Even LA where I am now, despite a major drop in crime, has higher murder rates than NY relative to the population.
It's actually shocking that in a city of over eight-million people there aren't twice the number of murders. Look, any crime is worth being concerned over, but it seems just a bit out of wack considering the reality.
If anything the major concern of New Yorkers should be the commercialization and gentrification of everything. This is what pushes people into poverty, and makes the city that is supposedly the "greatest" to be completely unaffordable for average folks.
Finally, I just want to reiterate that I'm not trying to start a war over this. I just honestly wanted to ask that question and bring up a point that seems neglected here.
And sorry for the long post.
First ,there are a number of posters here whose entire sense of self worth seems wrapped up in how "bad" their neighborhood is.They somehow feel better about themselves for living in the "worst" neighborhood in the city.It's the tough guy thing

Then you have another contingent who live in the age old Brooklyn v.Bronx battle, with the Brooklynites always out to show that The Bronx has the "worst" neighborhoods in the city and the Bronxites out to prove the opposite.

Thirdly you have a group who are not old enough to have been here or remember what the city was like in the 70's,80's and early 90's and who actually feel like they missed something big.They pine for murder and mayhem and seemingly cheer any increase in the crime rate.

Finally,we have another contingent who seem afraid of gentrification and think that the best way to fight it in their neighborhoods is make people afraid to move into them.They want to keep ghetto neighborhoods ghetto neighborhoods.You also have a group that is the opposite this.They live in some of the bad neighborhoods or sell real estate in the bad neighborhoods who are promoting or hoping for gentrification and are always trying to convince the world that crime is not a problem.These two groups,who sometimes come from the same neighborhoods,love to battle it out.

As a result of all these different groups who have a vested interest in crime and crime stats we spend a lot of time on crime and debating which neighborhoods or boroughs are the worst places to live.It can be entertaining at times but is usually rather boring.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-14-2011 at 06:10 AM..

Old 06-14-2011, 06:20 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Sounds about right Blue

Old 06-14-2011, 06:26 AM

68 posts, read 117,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
First ,there are a number of posters here whose entire sense of self worth seems wrapped up in how "bad" their neighborhood is.They somehow feel better about themselves for living in the "worst" neighborhood in the city.It's the tough guy thing

Then you have another contingent who live in the age old Brooklyn v.Bronx battle, with the Brooklynites always out to show that The Bronx has the "worst" neighborhoods in the city and the Bronxites out to prove the opposite.

Thirdly you have a group who are not old enough to have been here or remember what the city was like in the 70's,80's and early 90's and who actually feel like they missed something big.They pine for murder and mayhem and seemingly cheer any increase in the crime rate.

Finally,we have another contingent who seem afraid of gentrification and think that the best way to fight it in their neighborhoods is make people afraid to move into them.They want to keep ghetto neighborhoods ghetto neighborhoods.You also have a group that is the opposite this.They live in some of the bad neighborhoods or sell real estate in the bad neighborhoods who are promoting or hoping for gentrification and are always trying to convince the world that crime is not a problem.These two groups,who sometimes come from the same neighborhoods,love to battle it out.

As a result of all these different groups who have a vested interest in crime and crime stats we spend a lot of time on crime and debating which neighborhoods or boroughs are the worst places to live.It can be entertaining at times but is usually rather boring.
Thank you for that detailed reply. Much of your response verifies what I suspected.
It does seem that many of the posters here are quite young. I guess that explains a lot.
The tough guy thing is pretty old, no matter where you're from or living.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:41 AM

479 posts, read 1,442,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

Wow this sums it up for me too. I have been looking at this thread for some while and it is usually the usual suspects that seems lo love to brag about every single crime. Most of these crimes are thug/gang related though. And guess what. I honestly don't really care. Now is if some random spike of killings of many innocent respectable people than we have a problem. Back in the 70's, 80's and 90's there was way to much random crime. it was insane and of great concern.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:13 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
Wow this sums it up for me too. I have been looking at this thread for some while and it is usually the usual suspects that seems lo love to brag about every single crime. Most of these crimes are thug/gang related though. And guess what. I honestly don't really care. Now is if some random spike of killings of many innocent respectable people than we have a problem. Back in the 70's, 80's and 90's there was way to much random crime. it was insane and of great concern.
Definitely agree to that... And I think that most on here would probably put me in that third section of members wanting to keep ghetto neighborhoods, ghetto neighborhoods but I would like to clarify something in response to the LA poster... I agree that NYC in percentage comparison is still by far the safest large neighborhood in the country... That being said, just like people say that the media twists percentages to make the crime rate seem worse in the city... many others use that same percentage that you use to claim the opposite for NYC... And this is when the reality for a good number of people in this city still have to deal with their fair amount of crime... I don't doubt that LA has a higher percentage of crime than NYC, but the population numbers are so different and NYC itself has so many good neighborhoods that the bad ones get taken for granted...

Brownsville and East NY to this day can contend with any hood in the country as being the worst... the amount of crime that to this day happens in this area when the entire country (including LA) is becoming much safer is an alarming statistic...) 63 people being murdered in those two areas that are right next to eachother and have a 3.3 sq.mile radius and a population of less than 200,000 is still ridiculous and these are the topics that we address...

You are right that gentrification plays a major role in these crime discussions... We debate whether gentrification has an overall effect in crime or does it simply displace and anger some locals that then seek revenge... We discuss when areas like Sheepshead bay which tend to be safe, become one of the worst precincts in the city... And then we obviously talk about the crime ridden precincts and whether the changes we are seeing will have a lasting positive effect on the crime rate on these areas...

The thing is, because NYC is so large, there are a wide variety of topics to talk about... Believe it or not, crime still does happen in NYC... I know, it shocked me as well... and believe it or not, it leads every city in volume for every category on compstat... Granted, this isn't every neighborhood that experiences these numbers which is why our crime rate is so low... but to simply dismiss what a healthy percentage of NYC's population still go through by simply reading the blanket statement NYC is the safest big city... is a little naive...

FTR, even when you were living in NYC in the early 90s, we were still the safest big city percentage wise... just goes to show you how deceiving statistics can be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City