Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 11:52 AM

916 posts, read 2,246,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
According to a unreliable source there was 84 murders within the confines of the 40 precinct in 1991.

Where could I find the murder number for that year? The NYPD official site has only the figures for 1990 and then 1995.
Look at 34th and 75th precinct in 1991 compare to 40th.

From Page 5 here.
http://www.umass.edu/legal/Benavides...%20Bowling.pdf

Old 06-24-2011, 12:12 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
@ whitloc, Jaydata's link confirms the 84 murders in 1991 within the confines of the 40th precinct, the highest number it ever hit. The reason why that number is worse than the 75th and 34th is because the 34th covered a much larger territory back then than it does now... And the 75th precinct covers all areas associated with East NY while Brownsville is the73rd precinct. Those 84 homicides were happening in a much smaller area than Wash Heights and East NY...

@ Jay data thank you for posting the link. Very informative. And I love the line that spoke about how the 1997 total was the lowest number since 1967 when it recorded somewhere around 743 homicides... If this city in 2010/2011 would record 743 homicides in one year there'd be city-wide panic and curfews might be instituted... Just to show you how much safer we have become as a city overall (which again is why I don't understand the need to screw around with crime statistics)... There are still hotspots out there that do need to be discussed and worked on but the city is nowhere near as dangerous as it used to be... To those spreading fear on these threads... this article can serve as a serious wake-up call...

I wish they would've posted 1977 numbers because I remember part of my family coming from the Dominican Republic that year and moving to the Bronx... Wow... that was a bad year...

Old 06-24-2011, 12:31 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Jaydata..great link..nice job.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:41 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times
What i find fascinating is that in the mid 80s the homicide rate was dropping as the crack cocaine industry was just starting, which shows how much damage crack did to the city and basically the whole country.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:32 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
Thanks, Jaydata for the link, that confirmed the murder count in the 40 precinct in 1991.

As for arson in South Bronx, 1976 was the worst year.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:05 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times
Soundview section of the BX has been a bit active from NY Post:

Two men were killed in separate shootings in Soundview, police said yesterday.
A gunman opened fire on two men hanging out at the Monroe Houses on Story Avenue at 11:10 p.m. Friday. A 19-year- old was struck in the shoulder and Tyrone Johannes, 30, was fatally shot in the groin while fleeing, police said.
Five hours later, in an unrelated attack, William Rivers, 36, was found shot in the back nearby at Bolton and Lafayette avenues. He died at the scene.

On Gothamist, there's another shooting reported in Soundview. There's also one in Mott Haven and Harlem. I'm wondering for anyone familiar with Soundview, what's going on around there? It seems this year that neighborhood has had shootings frequently. Is there heavy police presence there?

Old 06-26-2011, 11:45 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
Don't know much about Soundview but similar to Mott Haven the murder rate has had a big increase in murders from last year

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs043pct.pdf

and pretty much every category aside from robberies and burglaries has either stayed the same or increased for this neighborhood... It's weird because areas like Soundview, Mott Haven, Bushwick, South Williamsburg, Coney Island, are all areas that have been spoken about as prime areas for gentrification over this past year and previous years meanwhile over the past year to 2 years or so, these neighborhoods have been trending up in terms of violent crime... which really shouldn't be the case considering the fact that many other neighborhoods that are experiencing gentrification like Bed-stuy, most of Harlem, Red Hook, parts of Crown Heights have been trending down...

Old 06-27-2011, 06:32 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Soundview section of the BX has been a bit active from NY Post:

Two men were killed in separate shootings in Soundview, police said yesterday.
A gunman opened fire on two men hanging out at the Monroe Houses on Story Avenue at 11:10 p.m. Friday. A 19-year- old was struck in the shoulder and Tyrone Johannes, 30, was fatally shot in the groin while fleeing, police said.
Five hours later, in an unrelated attack, William Rivers, 36, was found shot in the back nearby at Bolton and Lafayette avenues. He died at the scene.

On Gothamist, there's another shooting reported in Soundview. There's also one in Mott Haven and Harlem. I'm wondering for anyone familiar with Soundview, what's going on around there? It seems this year that neighborhood has had shootings frequently. Is there heavy police presence there?
You forgot to mention a shootout in Jamaica Queens which killed one person. That was also mentioned in the post.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:37 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Don't know much about Soundview but similar to Mott Haven the murder rate has had a big increase in murders from last year

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs043pct.pdf

and pretty much every category aside from robberies and burglaries has either stayed the same or increased for this neighborhood... It's weird because areas like Soundview, Mott Haven, Bushwick, South Williamsburg, Coney Island, are all areas that have been spoken about as prime areas for gentrification over this past year and previous years meanwhile over the past year to 2 years or so, these neighborhoods have been trending up in terms of violent crime... which really shouldn't be the case considering the fact that many other neighborhoods that are experiencing gentrification like Bed-stuy, most of Harlem, Red Hook, parts of Crown Heights have been trending down...
Coney Island is never going to gentrify in our lifetimes. The subway ride out there is looooong and there's virtually no amenites nor nice architecture. Not to mention the massive NYCHA prescence. Ditto for Soundview/Castle Hill and much of the South Bronx really. Too far from the action. I could see immigrants establishing a middle class prescence there thou.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:10 AM

14 posts, read 20,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Coney Island is never going to gentrify in our lifetimes. The subway ride out there is looooong and there's virtually no amenites nor nice architecture. Not to mention the massive NYCHA prescence. Ditto for Soundview/Castle Hill and much of the South Bronx really. Too far from the action. I could see immigrants establishing a middle class prescence there thou.
I completely agree with you my G. Most the South BX is hella gully. When your on the whitestone bridge and you look back at the South BX all you see is Jexts.
crime is always heavy over there. Adding on coney island is an ishh hole, but i feel you on it becoming a area where immigrants would move into and do well in. Also another area i dont see improving very much is B-ville, ENY, parts of bushwick, parts of East Flatbush, and crown heights, I still have yet to see a white boy move over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City