Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 12:37 PM

77 posts, read 210,142 times

Advertisements

I was reading a post on here about "real NYer's" and I was wondering, because that's actually a pretty interesting dilemma.

This is a true story by the way. Let's say right now I'm 18 waiting to graduate HS and my whole life revolves around NYC and I travel there constantly, and plan on moving there late this year. Let's say I literally adopted the whole NYC way of life and know the city like the back of my hand.

Let's say after High School I was going o move to NY with 5,000 dollars, was going to get a 1 BR apartment in one of the boroughs, get a decent HS Grad job to pport myself (Duane Reade, HR rep, whatever, then go to Community
College in the Spring of 2012, and plan on spending the rest of my life in NYC.

When would I be considered a real NYer? Am I one? Would I ever be one? I could never be native, could I? In a way I could be one because I'm moving there like any immigrant would, but I'm moving there from Philadelphia.

That's my question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 12:46 PM

5,431 posts, read 5,665,550 times
I'd consider you a New Yorker, but not a native New Yorker since you don't have any NY experiences growing up here.

Oh and by the way, you probably don't know the city at only 18 even if you have relatives here, its impossible unless you travel all around the city as part of your job or something. I am in my twenties and I know the city pretty well only because I travel to all parts of the city as part of my job.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:48 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,537,521 times
you are a real new yorker when you think you are a real new yorker. its not a legitimate term, its generally used by jerks to make themselves feel above other people.

well, i guess living in new york is a fair requirement.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:51 PM

5,431 posts, read 5,665,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you are a real new yorker when you think you are a real new yorker. its not a legitimate term, its generally used by jerks to make themselves feel above other people.

well, i guess living in new york is a fair requirement.
^ I agree with this. Its more about state of mind. Many native New Yorkers are not real New Yorkers as well.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:06 PM

77 posts, read 210,142 times
Right. Thanks. I was wondering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City