Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:09 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,357,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Don't give up. Keep your dream in front of you and just work to attain it. Save some money up with your specific goal in mind. Then get some roommates . . . can your family help you?

Don't give up, no matter what!!!!!!!!!!!
Exactly. Don't get all upset and destroyed that you can't do it now. You have a goal now to work towards. That should excite you and make you save even more and work hard to build up a good size next egg. Set a goal that two years from May you will move to NY and do everything in your power over the next two+ years to make it happen.

Another option you might want to look into is a job in a retail store that has locations all over the country like a Best Buy or something. Maybe if you work in one in Philly for a while and ask to transfer to a NY store they will allow you to do that. Then you'd arrive with a job that you are already familiar with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 07:19 PM

77 posts, read 210,700 times
I can go to college here and still visit NY frequently like I already do and then in 2013 I can move. But I guess I got impatient because I was thinking with my heart rather then my brain.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:26 PM

Last edited by OfficerC93; 01-05-2011 at 07:36 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 07:37 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
And, you can always take the Bolt or Megabus from Philadelphia to NYC on days off, or sanity days, while living in Philadelphia.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-05-2011, 07:42 PM

Yeah. That's relief that I live closer. I DO already use Chinatown bus when I visit . Hopefully I can make it. Thanks, guys, for helping me.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:49 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerC93 View Post
Yeah. That's relief that I live closer. I DO already use Chinatown bus when I visit . Hopefully I can make it. Thanks, guys, for helping me.
Good plan, and since you're planning, not jumping ship on emotion, you WILL make it. It's a good sign that you're thinking and focusing on your education first.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-05-2011, 08:19 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,249,842 times
If more schooling isn't for you, don't forget that you can train in a trade. As much as I am a cheerleader for folks moving to NYC, you don't want to get stuck in low-income jobs. When I moved to NYC, I hadn't finished my degree yet, but I had worked in editing and was able to join the union shortly after moving here.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:44 PM

I'm worrying that if I go to a trade school, I will get out certified in I dunno 2 years? To become an electrician or repairman and then I'll go to NYC unable to find work. I dont know how the job market is there for skilled trade.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:46 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Another thing, you are NOT guaranteed 40 hours a week. Don't know where you got that from.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:02 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Damn, Philly is not THAT bad.....
lol...the OP making Philly sound like Iraq.

But seriously my advice would be to just stay in Philly and get your $$ and credentials (ie work experience) up. You gotta start small and work your way up. Start by going to community college in PA and get a decent job so you can get used to living on a real budget. I would give it at least 2 years before you can hit NYC and live comfortably. Trust me NYC is a city you don't want to be struggling in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City