Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2010, 12:08 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,953 times

Advertisements

What are now the most happening neighborhoods in the City. Not the traditional neighborhoods like the UES or Brooklyn Heights or the village. What are the neighborhoods that maybe five years ago no one would think of living in but today it has become a real gem. I've heard comments of Port Morris being one of them and I know Boerum Hill is now an area in demand. Which other neighborhoods are getting their "props and also which neighborhoods are losing their luster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 08:25 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
You mean like Bushwick, which is becoming an extension of Williamsburg? I, personally, don't think much of yuppies/hipsters/trendoids. The further you are from their little enclaves, the closer you are to real NYC!

Old 11-15-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You mean like Bushwick, which is becoming an extension of Williamsburg? I, personally, don't think much of yuppies/hipsters/trendoids. The further you are from their little enclaves, the closer you are to real NYC!

So what are the real NYC neighborhoods? I've always liked Middle Village myself. Which "real" neighborhoods have retained their character for the last 30 years? An area where you can go and see the same stores, well kept homes and same character and look you remember as a kid.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:40 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,049 times
What's the definition of "real NYC"?

Old 11-15-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
You would have to ask FRED I was responding to his comment. NYC is constantly changing, even the Bronx has gain a better image from 25 years ago. Now if they could only do something about Brownsville.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:48 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,161,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Exactly! Part of the NYC appeal is its diversity.

There are so many different neighborhoods, all with different appeals.
There is no 'Real NYC'.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:50 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,161,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
So what are the real NYC neighborhoods? I've always liked Middle Village myself. Which "real" neighborhoods have retained their character for the last 30 years? An area where you can go and see the same stores, well kept homes and same character and look you remember as a kid.
Not too many areas remain unchanged in 30 years. But since you mentioned Middle Village, the neighboring towns like Ridgewood, Glendale, Maspeth remain fairly similar.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:47 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
It depends on what you mean. To me Glendale always used to be more of an upper middle class nabe while Ridgewood and Maspeth were more working class neighborhoods. But now it seems like Glendale is starting to become like the other two now and Demographics have shifted in Glendale alot over the years... I love Ridgewood though. It may not be the best area to live in at times, but to me theres no place that reminds me of old NYC in a nutshell more than this area. You got your old hard knock italian people. You got your working class European people like polish, romanian, albanian. but you also got a majority hispanic population with alot of Dominicans and Puertoricans and ecuadorians and Mexicans. Also theres a growing middle eastern population and theres sizable groups of haitians and guyanese people as well as native born New Yorkers that still got that old gritty New yorker feel to them. I complain sometimes about the gangs in this neighborhood on other posts because I wish kids would just grow up sometimes, but aside from that I would never want to move out of here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City