U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 08:33 PM

194 posts, read 283,083 times

Advertisements

Hi! I love watching planes take off & land. I've been to "Planeview Park" a couple of times. 2wice during last summer & once during the Fall taking pics w/ my Nikon Coolpix. Great pics. NO! I'M NOT A TERROIST!! Just love Flying & am so fascinated w/ how these planes are SO TREMENDOUSLY HUGGGGE!! AND that these pics will help me to keep my eye on my Career goal of Moving Down to Austin. I Really loved "SxSW"!!
Anyway, I have a YouTube account where in my Favs. I have some "Plane Spotting" Vids from other people like me taking Vids. So, I bought my 1st Camcorder last week & inspired by these "Plane Spotters" (People who are Plane Enthusiasts or Loves watching Planes as a HOBBY!!) I had to record my Own instead of watching others on YouTube.
1stly, w/ the times I've been to Planeview Park I NEVER had an Encountership w/ the Cops. Today, was the 1st. When I got there in the morn. (I wanted to take Vids of them lined up Departing on Runway 4 which is in front of park.), but saw No Planes taking off except on Runway 31. The Park was empty when I got there. I noticed that "Mr. Donald Trump's" plane was there too. Now, I'm guessing that his presence had to do w/ these planes taking off @ another runway leaving Runway 4 Dead (his plane was next to Runway 4). THO' I did see a couple of planes landing & taxiing (parking) into their gates. SO, I took out my Camcorder stood on my Step Stool Ladder & started recording. There wasn't that much Planes, but did manage to get a couple. HOWEVER, after I got my 3rd one a Cop car pulls up from behind me & asks me what I'm doing. I GOT SCARED!!! (I Hate Cops! I think I have a "Cop Phobia" afraid they'll swoop me up & send me to Jail!) They asked what I was doing & asked questions. I showed them my ID & 1 said "& you live on "blankety blank street" & questioned me about why I was there from the Bronx recording Planes AND How I Got there (that is if I drove or took transportation I told them that I took a bus). When I told them that I took a bus 1 officer made some comment like "you took a bus??" like as I was going out of my way from the Bronx out to Queens. I mean Queens is NOT FAR from the Bronx & I don't think that ONLY QUEENS RESIDENTS are the ONLY Ones who go to Planeview Park to Watch Planes.
Also, I told them I was doing this b/c I was doing an Art Project (I couldn't just tell them "Oh, Officer I want to Move Down to Austin & I want to have these Vids/Pics as a Motivational Goal."). Then they asked me what kind of Art Project & what school I was going to. I told them that I was Planning to Go to School next Fall & that I was doing this on my own. Then, they asked if I had a job & Where I worked & told me if they saw me again I would be locked up.
So, here are My 4 QUESTIONS:

1) HOW Do THESE "PLANE SPOTTERS" get to Record these Vids W/OUT being Stopped like me?? (THEY are MORE into Planes than I Am! They Are Into the Planes' Model & make, etc., etc. like something like the "MD-80" which is to me a "whatever I don't care what model, etc.")

Please Check Out some of these YouTube Vids to see what these Plane Spotters took:
A) "American Airlines MD-80 Go Around"
B) "Morning 757 Traffic at New York LaGuardia"
C) "LaGuardia Airport Landings and Takeoffs"

2) I mean, if this park is known for Plane Spotters Recording & taking pics then (w/ all due respect) Why don't they (Cops) just STOP THEM!! They might as well STOP ALL PLANE SPOTTERS (from Taking Pics & Vids)!! I mean if you read about this Park - this Park IS KNOWN For people playing w/ their kids, picnicking, making out w/ their boy/girlfriend, AND Watching Planes. PLUS, you have VAUGHN COLLEGE Right Next door?? Don't these Cops know about "PLANE SPOTTERS"?? I know b/c of 9/11, but still.
I know there wasn't anyone in the park (just me) & I'm wondering if I must have "stuck out like a sore thumb".

3) Was it b/c I was the only 1 in the Park or that maybe b/c of "Trump's" plane being there? Meaning did I choose the wrong time??!!

4) Was I supposed to have some "Plane Spotting" ID used Only for "Plane Spotters?"

Oh, & by the way since I live in the Bronx near the Whitestone Bridge & planes fly over my house (but not close like in Planeview Park) I used to take pics (B/F I discovered about Planeview Park). SO - since I took pics (when I 1st bought my Nikkon Coolpix) in my neighborhood
How Come I Didn't Get Stopped Here as well??!!! There are Cops in the Bronx too! I mean like they say "Anyone could be a terroist" (again, which I'm not. I'm just saying why in 1 place & not the other?). Is it just in Queens??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 09:30 PM

12,344 posts, read 24,130,014 times
This is outrageous. Next time you go, print out a copy of this and hand it to them to read.
http://craphound.com/images/operatio...rveillance.jpg

This is the NYPD telling its own officers that photography is legal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City