Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 05:39 AM

518 posts, read 1,576,558 times

Advertisements

Thanks Bluedog2, and everyone else that commented - I will do my research in the areas/complexes mentioned .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 07:04 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,057,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I think you are going to have a very difficult time finding a 2 br( even with 1 bath) apartment in the better areas of The Bronx.A 2 br,2 bath in that range is impossible. A 1 br is quite possible at around $150,000 in many decent neighborhoods but a 2 br for 150 is really pushing it.

There are a lot of large JR 4 1 br apartments in the Bronx in the 150 to 175 range.A JR 4 has an extra separate small room that was originally designed as a dining room but is usually used a 2nd (kids) br or home office.You might want to consider one of these types of apartments. I live in a Jr 4 1 br in Pelham Parkway that is quite large...almost 1,000 sq ft... so although it is really a 1 br it is bigger than many 2br 2 ba apartments that I have seen and it would function easily as a 2 br.In addition to the extra room it has a foyer that is bigger than most living rooms , all the rooms are large and the kitchen is eat in anyway.The extra room is 10 x 14 and has windows but no closet.

I like my neighborhood ( Pelham Parkway)a lot. I am across the street from Bronx Park(Botanical Garden and Zoo),2 blocks from the 2 and 5,express bus and a major shopping area,a 15 min walk to the Botanical Garden metro north stop,a 15 min walk to Little Italy and a 15 minute bus ride to City Island.Everything is very convenient and it is a very low crime area.

The cheapest apartments in my neighborhood are in a complex called Brady Court. It is a nice tudor style prewar complex with a really beautiful courtyard and it is convenient to everything.You could probably find a largish(800 or so sq ft) jr 4 completely renovated for around 150,000 but I think a real 2 br ,1 bath would be more like 165,000 or 175,000.

Bedford Park just South of Mosholu Parkway,Van Cortlandt Village,Woodlawn,Morris Park and Pelham Bay and Parkchester might be some other areas to took in.
The other good thing about the jr 4's is that they are classified as one-bedrooms and probably have significantly lower maintenance charges than the 2 bedrooms in the same building. Can be the difference between paying $500 in maintenance per month vs $900.

Also when the budget is done and numbers plugged into the amortization calculator (etc) the maintenance amount MUST be considered because it's a big expense!

Old 01-07-2011, 09:07 AM

so I found this place
91 East 208th Street, Bronx NY - Trulia

its right in our budget - so I contacted the agent - I like being this close to a library/park/subway and hospital. cops are close too.

looks good on paper.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:49 AM

9,241 posts, read 24,010,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Future View Post
so I found this place

its right in our budget - so I contacted the agent - I like being this close to a library/park/subway and hospital. cops are close too.

looks good on paper.
Hate to be skeptical but this sounds a little too good to be true.Worth checking out but be careful if you start getting involved.

I looked at dozens of co ops and condos in The Bronx before I bought and the only apartments I ever saw that were under 100,000 were studios.

Anyway,can't hurt to check it out but I'll be curious to hear what happens. Good luck !

Old 01-07-2011, 12:13 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,616,114 times
I also think a jr 4 sounds like a good idea.

Bluedog--off the subject but what route do you walk to get to the Botanical Gardens Metro North from you? (You're south of Pelham Parkway right?) My son's eye doctor is right at the beginning of Pelham Parkway but I always end up taking the bus because it seems pretty far.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I also think a jr 4 sounds like a good idea.

Bluedog--off the subject but what route do you walk to get to the Botanical Gardens Metro North from you? (You're south of Pelham Parkway right?) My son's eye doctor is right at the beginning of Pelham Parkway but I always end up taking the bus because it seems pretty far.
No,I actually live North of Pelham Parkway on Bronx Park East so I walk straight through The Botanical Garden.Not sure if you are aware but there is an East entrance to The Botanical Garden called The Waring Gate (Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed )and it comes out on Bronx Park East at Waring Avenue just 2 blocks North of Pelham Parkway.So there is literally nothing between me and the Metro North stop except The Garden.
Map :http://www.bronxriver.org/puma/image...e/031_NYBG.pdf
Once in The Garden I walk over the footbridge over the river by the waterfall and through the forest.Once on the other side of the forest I can either exit on the West side at the metro north pedestrian entrance or thru the main gate if I am going over to Arthur Ave.Needless to say,it's a great way to get from one side of the park to the other because it's always so beautiful ! Sometimes, when I'm going to Little Italy I walk through The Zoo instead.

You have to be a member of course to have access to The Garden or The Zoo all the time but I assume you already have membership ? If not then get one because it's great.The Botanical Garden even has a membership level (Supporting,$250/yr) where you get a grounds pass and enter early and late and when The Garden is officially closed.People walk,run bird watch,etc at sunrise and all morning before the official opening at 10:00 and in the evening in Summer .

Anyway,this would be the most direct route for you to walk to Pelham Parkway.Make sure you have a detailed garden map so you can find the most direct paths through The Garden and won't get lost.Once to Bronx Park East just turn right and walk down to Pelham Parkway.You can walk along the park or meander through the neighborhood around Barker Ave,Reiss Place,Thwaites Place and Olinville Ave. I assume you go to the eye place on the corner of Olinville and PP,right ? I walk by it 100 timers a day of course.

Last edited by Yac; 11-29-2011 at 07:17 AM..

Old 01-07-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Future View Post
so I found this place

looks good on paper.
If you are going to look at the apt on 208 st you should go down Mosholu Parkway towards The Botanical Garden ( Bedford Park) and look at these 2 places.They are both in buildings I am familiar with and it is a better neighborhood( IMO) than the 208th st place.They are both adv as 1 br's but they are 950 sq ft jr 4's and they are both under 150.
I think yodel lives right near here so she might comment if she sees this.
The 306 E Mosholu Parkway South building is a really nice deco bldg.
306 East Mosholu Parkway S, Bronx NY - Trulia
325 East 201st Street #3A, Bronx NY - Trulia
This is a really nice neighborhood near The Botanical Garden.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:56 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,616,114 times
Both of those places look nice - the second one looks really big. It's also convenient to be close to the Metro North.

It had never occured to me to walk through the Botanical Gardens to get to Pelham Parkway, although I'd heard there was an entrance on the other side. I'm going to have to try that. Yes, I'm sure it's the same Eye Doctor - it's on the 1st floor. My son breaks his glasses about once a month, so we're there a lot. If I'm going there without the kids I ride my bike and it's super fast. Is your neighborhood also known as Allerton or does that start north of there?

I don't know how strict they are at the Fordham entrance, but it's nice to cut through there to get to Little Italy (although faster to get there by bike.)

Old 01-08-2011, 03:37 PM

Allerton doesn't really start until further up North right around Allerton Ave and it is mostly East of White Plains Rd.
The NY Times sometimes uses the name Bronxwood for my neighborhood but people generally call everything between Lydig and Waring and from Bronx Park to Eastchester Road, Pelham Parkway.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 AM

Well we have an appt to see this place (the 208 street) co-op for this coming week.
I have my list of things to look out for, but I have 2 questions for the forum:
1) Is it ever Ok to ask why a unit's asking price was reduced?
2) How long does it take to go from paper work to moving in (ballpark) when buying a co-op? Ive rented many many apts, and its like a week or so, I understand this is a lot more involved. Or is that an intangible, and it varies from case to case?

Last edited by Vic Future; 01-09-2011 at 08:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City