Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 09:09 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,340,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
My dh was telling me about this yesterday. He said the word that came to mind was "genocide".
how so? no one is being forced to abort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 09:14 AM

810 posts, read 834,451 times
What percentage of those abortions are due to underage pregnancy, incest, rape, or the woman not wanting the baby because it does not belong to the husband or boyfriend?

I suggest you people stop blaming society and government at every turn because others have uncontrollable and repugnant behaviors. We are the "nazis" committing genocide because they chose to have abortions?

Old 01-08-2011, 09:19 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,008,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
There are thousands of couples waiting to adopt healthy white babies.

With NYC public hospitals in crisis, how many poor women receive prenatal care?

Pro-life people should focus on supporting policies that make it easier for women to give birth to and raise healthy children. But who are the first to say no to nationalized health care? Head Start? Subsidized child care? Job training? Taxes for schools and higher education?
Come up with policies that work.

Come up with programs that work.

Nothing will change until we, as a nation get back to respect for all life.

BTW....most women that get abortions would get them regardless of what programs are available.

It's caused by one word....SELFISHNESS.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:21 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,008,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
What percentage of those abortions are due to underage pregnancy, incest, rape, or the woman not wanting the baby because it does not belong to the husband or boyfriend?

I suggest you people stop blaming society and government at every turn because others have uncontrollable and repugnant behaviors. We are the "nazis" committing genocide because they chose to have abortions?
80% of abortions are repeat customers.

As long as people behave like animals, this problem will persist.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

It's caused by one word....SELFISHNESS.
How so?

Old 01-08-2011, 10:05 AM

963 posts, read 2,297,512 times
What a truly shocking statistic. It says much about how life has been greatly devalued and the schemes contributing to that process. I also wonder what this will do to a generation of minority women mentally and emotionally. Abortion leaves emotional scars that may make women more likely to abuse future children. It increases the likelihood of a long term battles with depression and hardens the attitude of women in general. Can the most vulnerable communities survive these long term consequences that further erode the stability of fragile family structures? I too see the hints of Eugenics at work behind much of this.

What an ugly world this is becoming. These are truly the last days foretold in the Bible. Without God's intervention we are have no hope.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
I also wonder what this will do to a generation of minority women mentally and emotionally. Abortion leaves emotional scars that may make women more likely to abuse future children. It increases the likelihood of a long term battles with depression and hardens the attitude of women in general. Can the most vulnerable communities survive these long term consequences that further erode the stability of fragile family structures? I too see the hints of Eugenics at work behind much of this.
IMO, the scars of raising children alone in poverty are profoundly negative as well. They are lifelong and often multi-generational.

Again, young people need to learn about how pregnancy happens and how to avoid it. Black, white, latino, asian, whatever ... they're not going to stop having sex. The pregnancies need to be avoided in the first place.

why are people so fearful of teaching prevention?

Old 01-08-2011, 01:32 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,561,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Yes, the Republicans would be the racists..........they do not want certain people to have the tools they need to break the cycle of poverty. Keep them in their place, right?
this post clearly demonstrates your willingness to use lies and deception to prove your wrong points. the republicans would protect the lives of these minority children because they believe they have a right to life. then you twist that around to make it into a bad thing and racist for republicans. you are disgusting.

btw why dont i post a quote of liberal supreme court justice ruth ginsberg on the subject:

Stand Firm | Justice Ginsberg On Abortion

"Frankly I had thought that at the time Roe was decided, there was concern about population growth and particularly growth in populations that we don’t want to have too many of."

Old 01-09-2011, 01:48 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,544,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
The most effective way to reduce abortion rates is to enable usage of birth control. To use this thread for an attack on birth control, using what cherry picked and/or questionable quotes does not seem appropriate.
While agree that contraceptives are important, thinking they will solve the problem is... short-sighted, if not a bit misleading, and even dangerous! Yep. Dangerous. Did you know that 89% of women who don't want to become pregnant already use contraceptives?

Facts on Contraceptive Use in the United States

If you pay attention it's got to shed some light. "If so many women are using contraceptives, then explain all of these babies and abortion huh? Explain that smart guy." Right? Well, it's easy. Contraceptives aren't 100% effective. And we have a LOTS of sex. Already every year almost 2.5 million pregnancies occur to women who used contraceptives. 37 million women use contraceptives and only 5 million don't. But if every single woman used contraceptives, 2.7 million pregnancies would occur to all of the 42 million who have sex and don't want to get pregnant. Of course 5 million women not using contraceptives - meaning the man actually ejaculates into her* - equates to an additional 4.25 million pregnancies, almost double the rate of the vast majority of women who do use contraceptives. So clearly contraceptives are better than no contraceptives. But to say that contraceptives will solve the problem completely is a bit... unrealistic. Even sterilization isn't 100% effective. It's darn close. But we love sex so much that even if the entire population of sexy horndog women were to get sterilized, there would still be over a quarter million pregnancies... each year... in the US alone.

So.... let me make this statement. Thinking contraceptives are 100% effective is CAUSING a problem. I know I know. I'm totally crazy to say this. But let me explain. CHEESE! People think they are safe because they are using a contraceptive. And they aren't. But they think they are safe, so they treat sex casually. And they inevitably have more sex. Obviously if you HAVE to have sex, then use a contraceptive. Use the best method available. But don't pretend that contraceptives are going to keep you from getting pregnant. The real solution is to educate people about the IMPORTANCE of abstinence. Abstinence only programs don't work for a number of reasons. Obviously they don't address contraceptives. But they also don't talk about how ineffective contraceptives are. And sex-ed classes don't talk about how ineffective contraceptives are either. They harp so much on how effective contraceptives are, everyone buys into it, thinking they are safe, as long as they use a $3 condom. And 2.5 million women each year in the US miss their periods scratching their heads.

*Withdrawal is actually not as ineffective as we are led to believe. (See the citation above.) It's only 1% less effective than condoms, the most common form of birth control. Obviously it's best to use as much birth control as possible. Get on the pill. Use a condom. Withdraw. 3 forms of contraceptive. That'll get the numbers down. But it still won't eliminate the problem.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:55 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,544,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
My dh was telling me about this yesterday. He said the word that came to mind was "genocide".
how so? no one is being forced to abort.
It's just the way the abortion clinics seem to target certain areas based on race. The contention is that the placement of abortions is an attempt to weed out the non-white races by way of killing the race before it's illegal. I disagree to a certain degree but also see the possibility that some of it might be going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City