Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:34 PM

19 posts, read 72,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillager View Post
The data might be faster but they still have too many dropped calls.
Yeah, this is what I'm interested in - for the average user, the speed of internet browsing on your iPhone is not really all that important. Stuff like, reliability of service and frequency of dropped calls is much more important. So for the average user, is AT&T really as bad in New York as they say it is? And is Verizon really that much more reliable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 10:49 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,601,590 times
"for the average user, the speed of internet browsing on your iPhone is not really all that important" - newtonyc1

That's debatable.

"According to the data Validas provided Consumer Reports, the average iPhone user consumes 273MB of data per month" - Higher than any other phone!

DailyTech - CR: Average iPhone User Consumes 273MB of Data Monthly

"98% of iPhone users use data services, 88% use the Internet"

iPhone Users Watch More Video… and are Older than You Think | Nielsen Wire

So, contrary to your belief, the average user would care alot about speed. Speed is the preeminent capability that makes the preeminent functionality of the iPhone more convenient.

"reliability of service and frequency of dropped calls is much more important. So for the average user" - newtonyc1

"Global Wireless Solutions Inc., compiles wireless performance across 950,000 road miles, covering 400 U.S. markets that represent 88 percent of the country's population, tests also found that 98.59 percent of voice calls on AT&T's network were completed without interruption, meaning the second-best dropped call average (behind Verizon by only one-tenth of a percentage point) in the nation."

http://www.gadgetsnreviews.com/att-defends-itself-for-low-rating-given-by-changewave-in-its-march-poor-dropped-call-survey/3483.html

"is AT&T really as bad in New York" - newtonyc1

Coverage in Manhattan

One of the busiest places makes one of the most congested data traffic places.
AT&T was known to have "somewhat bad" 3G coverage in Manhattan. However, AT&T, the nation's largest Wi-Fi network, decided to deploy Wi-Fi hotzones through out the borrough.

"Our initial AT&T Wi-Fi hotzones have received great customer response and supported high data traffic," said John Donovan, AT&T chief technology officer. "The pilot demonstrated the clear benefits of having fast and readily-available Wi-Fi options for our customers and our network, and so we have decided to deploy hotzones in more locations."

AT&T To Expand Wi-Fi Access in NY, San Francisco - International Business Times

So, with these Wi-Fi hotzones, you dont really need a 3G coverage. Although, AT&T has improved their 3G coverage over New York City anyway.

The network enhancement includes the addition of new layers of frequency, also known as "carriers," to more efficiently manage available spectrum and increase 3G capacity. The additions have been applied to nearly all cell sites in Manhattan and in other areas as needed throughout the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn. The result is an increased allocation of network resources for AT&T's 3G network to support ever-growing demand for mobile broadband services.

"In New York City, we've added a layer of high-performing 850 MHz spectrum to deploy more radio capacity and enhance in-building coverage throughout the city. As of the first quarter of 2010, we've seen two consecutive quarters of strong voice quality improvements in New York according to internal measurements. In Manhattan, quality improved 47 percent quarter over quarter."

AT&T Expands Wireless Capacity for 3G Mobile Broadband Network in Manhattan and Throughout... -- NEW YORK, June 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --

"Many new yorkers well cancel atat and switch over to verizon" - Bronxguyanese

As I stated in my earlier posts, as well as my passages above, a Verizon iPhone will not be as fast or as great as an AT&T iPhone. In fact, an AT&T iPhone would be 60% faster than a Verizon iPhone. Thus, Verizon iPhone users would not experience the true potential of the iPhone. And those who believe otherwise, will switch from AT&T to Verizon, costing them $600 to downgrade their iPhone's capabilities, which will be like switching from broadband to "dial-up", in a misguided bandwagon attempt to find a "better" network, all to no prevail.

"Now what have you learned?" - (Not directed)

Last edited by Stephen1110; 01-10-2011 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: Adding

Old 01-10-2011, 11:29 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
All I can say about verizon is reliability. Verizon has a n huge 3g foot print and atat does not. You can use verizon even in the desert,.forest and even ten miles off the coast of nyc. Atat is fast but does not have a huge 3g foot print. Also verizon can roam off of sprints evdo rev a and voice. Sadly most iphone users especially the ones In williamsburg and the village don't care about speed or reliability all they care about is the iphone.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:24 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,601,590 times
"All I can say about verizon is reliability" - Bronxguyanese

AT&T's Network covers 303 million people, or 97% of all America.

http://lowendmac.com/myturn/my07/art/att-coverage.gif

"Verizon has a n huge 3g foot print and atat does not." - Bronxguyanese

As of Jan. 2010, AT&T 3G Network covers 230 million people in 9,600 cities or 75% of the population.
Verizon didnt get the map ads wrong, but it is very misleading, obviously.

AT&T 3G coverage

http://phones.verizonwireless.com/3g/imgs/attmap.jpg

United States population map
http://mapofusa50states.com/images/map_of_usa_50_states21.gif (broken link)
Google Image Result for http://www.mapsofnewmexico.com/images/USA-Population-Map.gif

The way Verizon was portraying AT&T 3G maps lead to consumers to believe AT&T didnt have coverage outsie of the blue spots. Which led to the AT&T vs. Verizon lawsuit, followed by the ad wars.

"You can use verizon even in the desert,.forest and even ten miles off the coast of nyc"

AT&T's GSM technology is not only faster than Verizon's CDMA technology, but it's more widespread. AT&T has the Best International Coverage of any U.S. wireless provider, providing access to voice service in more than 220 countries and data service in more than 200 countries. AT&T also offers voice and data roaming coverage on more than 140 major cruise ships, as well as mobile broadband services in more than 125 countries.

AT&T Brings Mobile Broadband Network to Greater Bangor and the 'Down East'... -- BANGOR, Maine, Jan. 3, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --

Last edited by Stephen1110; 01-11-2011 at 01:28 AM.. Reason: Adding

Old 01-11-2011, 02:14 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
The first map which is covered in orange is voice data and not 3g.

http://www.cellularmaps.com/3g_compare.shtml

Click on the above link.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 01-11-2011 at 02:25 AM..

Old 01-11-2011, 05:38 AM

19 posts, read 72,970 times
Okay, maybe I should re-phrase yet again: regardless of what others are interested in (speed, reception in the desert, whatever), I'M interested in the relative reliability of Verizon vs. AT&T in Manhattan. New Yorkers have long complained about AT&T wireless service and have lauded Verizon's. I'm wondering: is there really still such a difference, and if so, how big of a difference is it?

Old 01-11-2011, 08:55 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,573,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonyc1 View Post
So apparently a new Verizon iPhone is coming out later this month or early next month, so I'm thinking about getting it. Is AT&T really bad in Manhattan? Is Verizon much better?
Im waiting for iPhone to have service with Sprint before I can get one.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:59 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,149,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
AT&T has more or less perfect coverage in Manhattan in my experience. Verizon is probably better for remote areas or even suburbs, but AT&T and Verizon are pretty much the same in NYC (and in most urban areas, I think).
For voice calls in NYC they are almost the same. For data coverage it is night and day. AT&T has an inferior network that unfortunately can't properly support the iphone.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:00 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
I hate AT&T. They are thieves and their network is just retarded. It's like a stone age wireless network that goes dead if you put the phone even 10 centimetres below ground level

Old 01-11-2011, 09:02 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,149,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
"All I can say about verizon is reliability" - Bronxguyanese

AT&T's Network covers 303 million people, or 97% of all America.

http://lowendmac.com/myturn/my07/art/att-coverage.gif

"Verizon has a n huge 3g foot print and atat does not." - Bronxguyanese

As of Jan. 2010, AT&T 3G Network covers 230 million people in 9,600 cities or 75% of the population.
Verizon didnt get the map ads wrong, but it is very misleading, obviously.

AT&T 3G coverage

http://phones.verizonwireless.com/3g/imgs/attmap.jpg

United States population map

Google Image Result for http://www.mapsofnewmexico.com/images/USA-Population-Map.gif

The way Verizon was portraying AT&T 3G maps lead to consumers to believe AT&T didnt have coverage outsie of the blue spots. Which led to the AT&T vs. Verizon lawsuit, followed by the ad wars.

"You can use verizon even in the desert,.forest and even ten miles off the coast of nyc"

AT&T's GSM technology is not only faster than Verizon's CDMA technology, but it's more widespread. AT&T has the Best International Coverage of any U.S. wireless provider, providing access to voice service in more than 220 countries and data service in more than 200 countries. AT&T also offers voice and data roaming coverage on more than 140 major cruise ships, as well as mobile broadband services in more than 125 countries.

AT&T Brings Mobile Broadband Network to Greater Bangor and the 'Down East'... -- BANGOR, Maine, Jan. 3, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --
Your facts are a little off. AT&T filed the lawsuit because of wording. 97% covered by AT&T is actually misleading. Most companies allo others to roam on their network and that's why AT&T supposedly covers 97%. Their actual network is MUCH smaller than Verizon and Sprint. True coverage is what really matters. Everyone can pretty much roam on everyone else unless you have an old plan or a bad prepaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City