Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:20 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times

Advertisements

Pretty sure Stephen works for AT&T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,076 times
The first map which is covered in orange is voice data and not 3g. - bronxguyanese

The first map is covered by voice and data, on AT&T's EDGE, GPRS, and 3G coverage combined.

AT&T voice

Cell Phones and Cell Phone Plans - Wireless from AT&T

AT&T data

reliability of Verizon vs. AT&T in Manhattan - newtonyc1

Here's it again.

One of the busiest places makes one of the most congested data traffic places.
AT&T was known to have "somewhat bad" 3G coverage in Manhattan. However, AT&T, the nation's largest Wi-Fi network, decided to deploy Wi-Fi hotzones through out the borough. It helps ease the load of data capacity, thus increasing the strength of the network.

"Our initial AT&T Wi-Fi hotzones have received great customer response and supported high data traffic," said John Donovan, AT&T chief technology officer. "The pilot demonstrated the clear benefits of having fast and readily-available Wi-Fi options for our customers and our network, and so we have decided to deploy hotzones in more locations."

AT&T To Expand Wi-Fi Access in NY, San Francisco - International Business Times

So, with these Wi-Fi hotzones, you dont really need a 3G coverage. Although, AT&T has improved their 3G coverage over New York City anyway.

The network enhancement includes the addition of new layers of frequency, also known as "carriers," to more efficiently manage available spectrum and increase 3G capacity. The additions have been applied to nearly all cell sites in Manhattan and in other areas as needed throughout the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn. The result is an increased allocation of network resources for AT&T's 3G network to support ever-growing demand for mobile broadband services.

"In New York City, we've added a layer of high-performing 850 MHz spectrum to deploy more radio capacity and enhance in-building coverage throughout the city. As of the first quarter of 2010, we've seen two consecutive quarters of strong voice quality improvements in New York according to internal measurements. In Manhattan, quality improved 47 percent quarter over quarter."

AT&T Expands Wireless Capacity for 3G Mobile Broadband Network in Manhattan and Throughout... -- NEW YORK, June 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --

AT&T Voice/Data Coverage in New York City

AT&T Coverage Viewer

Old 01-11-2011, 01:28 PM

Your facts are a little off. AT&T filed the lawsuit because of wording. - Lancet71

Not Quite.

"But AT&T says the maps in the ads are misleading because they display huge spots of blank space in AT&T's coverage area, which are designed to show a lack of 3G service, but instead imply -- falsely -- lack of any service at all.

"By communicating that AT&T customers have no coverage in large parts of the country, Verizon is misleading the public about an essential component of the services AT&T offers," the lawsuit said."

Smartphone war heats up: AT&T sues, Verizon launches stealth fighters - DailyFinance

"97% covered by AT&T is actually misleading." - Lancet71

"Since Verizon's entire network is 3G, the gaps in the red map are actual service gaps -- but Verizon doesn't show that the gaps on the AT&T map might be covered by AT&T's huge 2G network"

"Interestingly, Verizon's already changed the ads once at AT&T's behest, editing them to remove the phrase "out of touch" and adding a "Voice and data services available outside of 3G areas" small print disclaimer at the end."

Who's really misleading?..Verizon..

AT&T sues Verizon over 'there's a map for that' ads -- Engadget

AT&T supposedly covers 97%...Everyone can pretty much roam on everyone else" - Lancet71

AT&T's Overall Network, covers 300 million Americans, that's 97% of all Americans that have access to Voice and Data

AT&T is a GSM network. T-Mobile is the other.

"GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) is the world's most popular wireless phone technology. It's used by more than one billion people around the world."

Our Mobile Broadband and GSM Technology - Wireless from AT&T

In the end, it does not alter the fact that AT&T covers 97% of all Americans.

AT&T Voice
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/#?type=voice

AT&T Data
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/#?type=data

"Pretty sure Stephen works for AT&T" - availableusername

Lol. Don't convince yourself.

Last edited by Stephen1110; 01-11-2011 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: Adding

Old 01-11-2011, 01:57 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Your facts are a little off. AT&T filed the lawsuit because of wording. - Lancet71

Not Quite.

"But AT&T says the maps in the ads are misleading because they display huge spots of blank space in AT&T's coverage area, which are designed to show a lack of 3G service, but instead imply -- falsely -- lack of any service at all.

"By communicating that AT&T customers have no coverage in large parts of the country, Verizon is misleading the public about an essential component of the services AT&T offers," the lawsuit said."

Smartphone war heats up: AT&T sues, Verizon launches stealth fighters - DailyFinance

"97% covered by AT&T is actually misleading." - Lancet71

"Since Verizon's entire network is 3G, the gaps in the red map are actual service gaps -- but Verizon doesn't show that the gaps on the AT&T map might be covered by AT&T's huge 2G network"

"Interestingly, Verizon's already changed the ads once at AT&T's behest, editing them to remove the phrase "out of touch" and adding a "Voice and data services available outside of 3G areas" small print disclaimer at the end."

Who's really misleading?..Verizon..

AT&T sues Verizon over 'there's a map for that' ads -- Engadget

AT&T supposedly covers 97%...Everyone can pretty much roam on everyone else" - Lancet71

AT&T's Overall Network, covers 300 million Americans, that's 97% of all Americans that have access to Voice and Data

AT&T is a GSM network. T-Mobile is the other.

"GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) is the world's most popular wireless phone technology. It's used by more than one billion people around the world."

Our Mobile Broadband and GSM Technology - Wireless from AT&T

In the end, it does not alter the fact that AT&T covers 97% of all Americans.

AT&T Voice

AT&T Data

"Pretty sure Stephen works for AT&T" - availableusername

Lol. Don't convince yourself.
your an atat fangirl.

http://www.cellularmaps.com/image/att_3g_10c.jpg

Old 01-11-2011, 04:28 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,731 times
Quote:
You do know that AT&T dropped that lawsuit, right?

AT&T gives up on Verizon ad lawsuit | Signal Strength - CNET News

Old 01-11-2011, 07:28 PM

"your an atat fangirl." - Bronxguyanese

You don't know me. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

You do know that AT&T dropped that lawsuit, right? - gvillager

Of course. But that's not what I'm arguing. My point was that Verizon's ads were very misleading, which led to the lawsuit

Old 01-11-2011, 08:50 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,731 times
Quote:

Of course. But that's not what I'm arguing. My point was that Verizon's ads were very misleading, which led to the lawsuit
They couldn't have been THAT misleading since they did drop the lawsuit. AT&T knew it was baseless.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:35 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
"your an atat fangirl." - Bronxguyanese

You don't know me. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Atat admits it, its service sucks in nyc thanks to millions of new yorkers who own the iphone.

AT&T Admits New York City iPhone Service Sucks: Gothamist: New York City News, Food, Arts & Events

Old 01-12-2011, 08:49 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,063 times
I've been up for a new contract with Verizon for the past year now, just waiting to see if the I-Phone would come to Verizon. Now I'm hearing that the I-phone 5 will be out around June or July guess I've waited this long, what's a couple of more months...

Old 01-12-2011, 09:14 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Triny33 View Post
I've been up for a new contract with Verizon for the past year now, just waiting to see if the I-Phone would come to Verizon. Now I'm hearing that the I-phone 5 will be out around June or July guess I've waited this long, what's a couple of more months...
As long as you're happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Atat admits it, its service sucks in nyc thanks to millions of new yorkers who own the iphone.

AT&T Admits New York City iPhone Service Sucks: Gothamist: New York City News, Food, Arts & Events
This link is almost a year old. Is it still valid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City