Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 12:26 PM

9 posts, read 9,636 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for your help.

I've since extended my search to Manhattan, going up to $850, East Village direction, will look into Upper East and West Side now, thanks.

Yeah I noticed a lot of Wash. Heights/Inwood places are advertising as being close to Columbia. I sort of assumed they'd be kind of safe because it's a student area. I think I'll keep looking there?

Queens just seems really far from Manhattan. I'll most likely be working in retail (have good experience) so would like to try work in Man. Obviously, being a 21 year old student I want to get out and see the nightlife Don't want to spend loads on taxis, risk late night subways. I suppose I'd go higher rent if it would mean cheaper cabs, can walk to amenities in say 30 mins.

Looking up Irish Echo now, thanks!

I've gotten in contact with a few places and some have come back saying that I'd need to personally view the place. At worst, I'll get to NY, stay in a hostel for 3 nights or so and go visiting places all day!

Again, thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 02:10 PM

Another question, sorry! If I was looking for "true" Williamsburg, ie, not Bushwich, Bedford Stuy, is proximity to the L train a good indicator?

Old 05-19-2011, 02:33 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,569,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1_Summer View Post
Another question, sorry! If I was looking for "true" Williamsburg, ie, not Bushwich, Bedford Stuy, is proximity to the L train a good indicator?
If you want to use that method, then a popular method is to say Bedford, Lorimer and Graham (also called the first 3 stops) are the quote unquote "good" stops.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:59 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,666,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1_Summer View Post
Yeah I noticed a lot of Wash. Heights/Inwood places are advertising as being close to Columbia. I sort of assumed they'd be kind of safe because it's a student area. I think I'll keep looking there?

Washington Heights and Inwood are further north, away from the campuses. The neighborhoods near the schools are south of that. City College is in Hamilton Heights and Sugar Hill (West Harlem if you want to be super general, haha). Columbia's main campus is in Morningside Heights, with the Upper West Side to the south.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Washington Heights and Inwood are further north, away from the campuses. The neighborhoods near the schools are south of that. City College is in Hamilton Heights and Sugar Hill (West Harlem if you want to be super general, haha). Columbia's main campus is in Morningside Heights, with the Upper West Side to the south.
Cheers!

My plan has changed now, I've booked into a hostel for my first week and will use this time to go and view apartments. There's loads available, but they all want to meet in person. It'll be good to walk around the area too and get a feel for the place.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:06 AM

Well I'm paying over my budget, but I got a lovely room at Avenue C, Manhattan. Close to where I wanna be (East Village, LES, Subway straight up to midtown). Still unemployed unfortunately, but hopefully that will change soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City