Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 09:55 PM

110 posts, read 221,592 times

Advertisements

The World Police and Firefighter Games are in NYC for 2 weeks from August 26 this year. As some of my mates are taking part in this event I thought I'd use this as an opportunity to fulfill my lifelong no.1 travel ambition of visiting NYC. As I'm neither a Police Officer nor a Firefighter (actually I'm a History teacher) I'm not part of the official group and am looking to stay in the East Village or Lower East Side rather than a hotel near Times Square with the Firefighters from Sydney. Can anyone recommend a hotel in these areas that isn't going to cost me $300 per night? I've scrolled thru many sites but trust the opinions of locals more than expedia or trip advisor etc. I've also looked at 'airbnb' at a sublet but the info on the net often mentions the 'airbnb' scam. During my stay I'm planning on a day in Brooklyn, what's your view on basing this day around Coney Island? As well as a day in the Bronx, but I'm unsure what Bronx neighborhood to use as a base for this visit, any ideas would be welcome. I'd also welcome the local advice on where a group of 40 somethings would enjoy a beer or 2. Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 10:52 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,191,762 times
The hotels in the EV/LES are for the most part newer & trendy.....ie, expensive.

I believe there is still a Holiday Inn near Lafayette & Canal that is relatively inexpensive.

I have always had good luck with the Chandler & Carlton hotels which are in the East 30's near the Empire State Building. If you book out far enough, you can get rates around the low $200's in both hotels. It's not the most exciting neighborhood, but it's quiet & residential, and close enough for a short taxi or subway trip to downtown neighborhoods & the other things you want to see.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:16 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,815,003 times
My friends and I sometimes go out to the hotel on rivington. It's pretty fun and the bar is fun. Not sure about the price tho.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:27 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,191,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
My friends and I sometimes go out to the hotel on rivington. It's pretty fun and the bar is fun. Not sure about the price tho.

P-R-I-C-E-Y
Hotel on Rivington

Regular King Room (cheapest available) is a little over $300/night with taxes. The pretty rooms skyrocket into the $500-600 range.

Personally, I adore the vibe at the recently renovated Bowery Hotel Downtown Lower East Side Hotels | Luxury Boutique Hotel NYC | Manhattan | Bowery Hotel, New York, NY. Cozy bar, great restaurant. Shamefully, the smallest room there is $375/ night with taxes.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:29 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,815,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
P-R-I-C-E-Y
Hotel on Rivington

Regular King Room (cheapest available) is a little over $300/night with taxes. The pretty rooms skyrocket into the $500-600 range.

Personally, I adore the vibe at the recently renovated Bowery Hotel Downtown Lower East Side Hotels | Luxury Boutique Hotel NYC | Manhattan | Bowery Hotel, New York, NY. Cozy bar, great restaurant. Shamefully, the smallest room there is $375/ night with taxes.
My bad.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:36 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,271,273 times
You could try the Gem Soho (SoHo New York City Hotels: Welcome to The GEM Hotel SoHo). It was built as a Howard Johnson and was much cheaper a few years ago. It’s probably the least expensive option in a very expensive (as far as hotels are concerned) neighborhood.

You might want to expand your requirements. There are cheaper places north of 14th Street (in the 20s) on the east side. It's not the East Village proper, but close, and you could save a lot of money.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:40 PM

756 posts, read 2,274,519 times
There's a Comfort Inn on Ludlow. Not sure of the price though.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:51 PM

687 posts, read 1,942,155 times
I'm not a local, but visit NYC twice a year to see family/friends. Here's what I know:

There's a Best Western on or near Bowery - if I remember right, it's closer to $200/nt depending on the season.

I've stayed at the Hotel on Rivington. Very nice but pricey.

My wife and I usually stay at the East Village Bed and Coffee. It's a European-style guesthouse on 7th St/Avenue C. A really fun woman named Anne runs it and it has private rooms and a really cool layout. Shared bathrooms though - I know some won't deal with that. Roughly $140/nt.

Last edited by Robert A; 01-10-2011 at 06:41 PM..

Old 01-10-2011, 06:39 PM

756 posts, read 2,274,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
Private bathrooms though - I know some won't deal with that.
Do you mean shared bathrooms? I don't know anyone who would object to a private bathroom.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:41 PM

687 posts, read 1,942,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
Do you mean shared bathrooms? I don't know anyone who would object to a private bathroom.
Err - yes! Oops. Edited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City