Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:37 AM

127 posts, read 324,393 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My company just reduced my expense costs for hotel to NYC to $120, they are a little bit linear so I believe they will let me expense anything around $120 to $150 the most for a hotel stay so please I need any suggestions as close to manhattan or perhaps chelsea or somewhere in between i guess worst case scenario would be brooklyn (which I like) but not a hostel I am not confortable with those and considering I am girl anything in a nice area will be good, please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 09:38 AM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I suggest you check out hotels in Long Island City in Queens which is a short commute to Midtown by subway.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:39 AM

127 posts, read 324,393 times
ps. I do not want to stay in NJ either again any suggestions will be greatlhy appreciated!!

Old 01-10-2011, 10:01 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
That’s an unreasonably low amount for a business hotel in New York (or any major city). Is it a small startup company? You should talk to them about boosting your budget. If they are going to be so stingy, they should a least try and negotiate a group discount with a major chain and direct all of their business there.

You can often get a deal online, but not always. I’ve had good luck with Priceline. Quikbook (Quikbook Hotels: Discount Hotel Reservations - New York and Other Cities) is another good site. They let you make a reservation without pre-paying so you can cancel if you get a better deal. There are lots of good hotels on the site right now, but winter is traditionally low-season for hotels.

The trick is to look for a special or sale. Any hotel that advertises a standard rate of $120 is going to be sketchy, inconveniently located or both.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:45 AM

19 posts, read 52,905 times
New York Manhattan Hotel - Website

Chelsea Lodge - Website

The Pod Hotel - Website

Last edited by KatieQRS; 01-10-2011 at 12:37 PM..

Old 01-10-2011, 11:47 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolFL2NY View Post
Hi,

My company just reduced my expense costs for hotel to NYC to $120, they are a little bit linear so I believe they will let me expense anything around $120 to $150 the most for a hotel stay so please I need any suggestions as close to manhattan or perhaps chelsea or somewhere in between i guess worst case scenario would be brooklyn (which I like) but not a hostel I am not confortable with those and considering I am girl anything in a nice area will be good, please help!!
Try staying in new york state or connecticut and commuting to NY via metro north railroad. Some hotels in Stamford and around are very good at that price and they are just 45 minutes from midtown.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:11 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
If you need to be in Chelsea NJ (even tho you don't want it) might be a good choice for you since it's a quick trip on the Path. Hoboken has some nice hotels and is fun. I have never heard of a Manhattan Hotel for $120, at least not a nice one.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:10 PM

90 posts, read 286,020 times
Hotels

It may be possible if you have to stay for a long period of time - at least 3 months. If your employer temporarily relocates you to NYC for this or similar period of time you may be able to get a contract with the extended stay hotels, like Marriott Extended stay or some other suits/inns/extended stay places. I believe there is a Marriott one in Chelsea, I would find out if they have any specials. 150/day is very inexpensive even for extended stay, so winter and cold weather is your friend here and you are looking for specials at this point. If you are coming for a short period of time then you can maybe swap with someone or see if your company sends another person on business here that can do a share with you to be able to sign a contract for minimum required stay.

Apartments

Another option is to get a sublet apartment or a vacation rental. Corporate stay apartments may be out of your price range and may require long term contracts, but there is also vacation rental market. You can search on the internet for some short term or vacation apartment rentals, even craigslist has tons of apartments for short term rental where they charge by day.

Apartments are most likely to be a lot cheaper than traditional hotels and give you much more for your money even if you have to sacrifice daily maid service or other traditional hotel conveniences. I would imagine NYC should have lots of pied-a-terre apartments staying vacant a lot where owners are trying to make up some cash on their investment and keep the apts empty of personal belongings to be able to rent to people like you.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:35 AM

4 posts, read 8,333 times
Try here (http://momoway.com/hotels/ - broken link) for NY hotels or here for the Manhattan area.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:27 AM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_g View Post
Try here (http://momoway.com/hotels/ - broken link) for NY hotels or here for the Manhattan area.
There are several good hotels in Long Island City, Queens(which is a short subway ride from Midtown Manhattan) for under $120 a night. See: www.expedia.com/Long-Island-City-Queens-New-York-Hotels.0-n6056462-0.Travel-Guide-Filter-Hotels (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City