Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:05 AM

9 posts, read 14,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax12479 View Post
I would argue that the lyrics to many rap songs are much more complex than some "my baby left me" county music songs

Yea, I guess some consider 'I shot the Ho and watched her die' very deep and thought provoking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 964 times
Wow, can some of you be any more ignorant and stereotypical? Speak for yourselves when you say that nobody in New York likes country music. I grew up on Long Island, and still live there now at 21 years old. Country was never popular out here, but it's becoming more and more popular as I get older. Even kids from my generation are now getting tired of the same generic dance-pop crap that stations like z100 and KTU play, and are turning to country music, simply because it's something different from what they grew up on and enjoy the variety that Top 40 stations lack. I know I do.

I will admit as a kid I never really gave country a chance, aside from the occasional listening here and there. Once I became about 16, I listened to Carrie Underwood and she made me fall in love with country music. Because of her, I listen to current/contemporary country artists like Brad Paisley, Zac Brown Band, Keith Urban, Shania Twain, etc as well as older classic country like Patsy Cline, Merle Haggard, etc and loved them all.

Country is a beautiful genre and anyone who says all the lyrics are about "my baby left me", drinking, their dog, or whatever are just being ignorant and stereotyping the genre. Just how not EVERY rap song isn't about money, shooting someone, or banging a million girls, not every country song is about the things I just mentioned. I've also found that most country singers seem to be down-to-earth, normal people unlike some of those you'll find in other areas of the music world. If you listen to the right artists and give it a chance, I think you'll find some form of country that you like.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:42 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,614,604 times
country is associated with rednecks
rednecks and nyc go together like russians and AA meetings, it jus doesnt add up...

Old 05-30-2012, 11:40 PM

669 posts, read 1,268,221 times
Country music is one of the three genre's of music I absolutely can not listen to along with Heavy Metal and House.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:59 AM

3,932 posts, read 5,035,932 times
A lot of New Yorkers, especially transplants try very hard to be different from the type of places they grew up- so they reject their inherent cultural identity which may likely include country music.

... and for those growing up here, they may simply have never been exposed to much.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:20 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,512,724 times
Country music? We hardly even have any FM Rock stations anymore. All the Rock stations I grew up listening too are gone. I guess thats why I have been using Satellite radio for the past 5 years.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:03 AM

8,012 posts, read 11,349,667 times
there used to be a country station in nyc, but i guess
they sold out too or just became unpopular like almost
everything else.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:11 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,473,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony811 View Post
Wow, can some of you be any more ignorant and stereotypical? Speak for yourselves when you say that nobody in New York likes country music.
Well then, let's put it this way: even with its adherents--and you're obviously one--there isn't enough of a market in New York City to justify a country music station. (I hope I've managed not to be either ignorant or stereotypical).

Old 05-31-2012, 12:32 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,311,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Well then, let's put it this way: even with its adherents--and you're obviously one--there isn't enough of a market in New York City to justify a country music station. (I hope I've managed not to be either ignorant or stereotypical).
Yes, to state the obvious, radio stations, like all media, get their money from advertisers. Since there is not a large enough market for the country music genre in NYC, any station that plays country music [exclusively] wouldn't be able to get advertising dollars and would ultimately fail. That seems to be the case with the short lived country music stations in the area.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:04 PM

8,012 posts, read 11,349,667 times
u have to go to jersey for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City