Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:15 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSI View Post
They also put these hideously ugly aluminum doors on the houses with shiny metal bars everywhere on a brownstone of all things. They don't really care what the house looks like at all.

OMG YES !!!! This is always a dead giveaway for a Chinese house, those Stainless Steel doors are about the most hideous thing on Earth.
Here in Bensonhurst, we have new houses built and there will be 4 doors in a row, for upstairs and downstairs, yet they will be in agreement for the SS doors, yet every single door is different. They have absolutely zero sense of aestetics (sp). You would think to ask your next door neighbor since they are 2 feet away, lets get the same doors to make the front of the house match and look nice, but no, they all get different doors.

and whats with all the bars on the windows too? Who would buy into a neighborhood and the first thing they do is put bars on the windows???? wouldn't that make you not want to live in a neighborhood that is unsafe.....and Bensonhurst is a safe neighborhood.

other than the "lack of decorating the houses", the Asians are nice people and do not bother any one.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
I think in some areas where whites and Asians live side by side, there's a difference of opinion where new construction is concerned. Some whites don't understand why Asians are okay with the look of plain boxy buildings with wall-thru air conditioners (beige-colored cheap new construction, usually with Fedders air conditioners). The whites think these beige buildings look oppressive and consider the Fedders logo annoying (because each unit has the logo, making the effect Fedders,Fedders,Fedders,Fedders,Fedders - annoying), while the Asians think as long as you can live in them what's the problem? So in this example it's like a conflict of taste, a conflict of aesthetics - which is like warming marshmallows over a campfire when compared to racial tension. In other words, it's not much of an issue in the grand scheme of things, but there are differences to take note of, this being one of them. JMO.

Yes, I hate the word Fedders with a passion, you would think Mr. Fedders would make air conditioner covers in a variety of colors to match different facades.
Nothing is worse than looking at a new home and under every window screams the word Fedders. UGLY., and Frederich is no better.

I think the air conditioners look better in the windows, because in the winter you take them out of the window and put the air conditioner in the closet, like I do.

so yes, I agree with this poster 100 percent.
I too live in Bath Beach - Bensonhurst

Old 01-11-2011, 08:25 AM

110 posts, read 219,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Yes, I hate the word Fedders with a passion, you would think Mr. Fedders would make air conditioner covers in a variety of colors to match different facades.
Nothing is worse than looking at a new home and under every window screams the word Fedders. UGLY., and Frederich is no better.

I think the air conditioners look better in the windows, because in the winter you take them out of the window and put the air conditioner in the closet, like I do.

so yes, I agree with this poster 100 percent.
I too live in Bath Beach - Bensonhurst
You live in Bath Beach on the Border of Bensonhurst? My grandmother used to have a house on Bay 11th near the Cabrini school, Is that area still good down there or what? The strip of bay 11th close to 86th still looks pretty good.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:58 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Asians are the most peaceful people around, the Chinese in particular. They may not be very talkative or friendly owing to the cultural divide.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
You live in Bath Beach on the Border of Bensonhurst? My grandmother used to have a house on Bay 11th near the Cabrini school, Is that area still good down there or what? The strip of bay 11th close to 86th still looks pretty good.

I'm really Bath Beach as I am on the Bay Street side.
Still a safe neighborhood, and rents are cheap compared to todays standards.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Asians are the most peaceful people around, the Chinese in particular. They may not be very talkative or friendly owing to the cultural divide.
All the Asian people that work in the stores on 86th are very nice to us, so we have no problems at all.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:18 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
They do! Lots of white men get married to Asian women in NY.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:17 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Today's Asians, yes but in the past they were nutsos. Japanese were known for some extreme violence. Why do you think we had to bomb them? Also don't forget the Shoguns. Look at the violence in Kashmir and the contant threat of nuclear war between Pakistan and India.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:28 AM

142 posts, read 461,821 times
Quote:
They also put these hideously ugly aluminum doors on the houses with shiny metal bars everywhere on a brownstone of all things. They don't really care what the house looks like at all.
LOL. I snorted because it's true.

All in all, Asians are good neighbors to have. They don't really bring crime to a neighborhood and are family-oriented, peaceful people who work hard. My only issue is those ugly shiny metal bars/doors! Now that is a travesty.

Also, if I were you I would move to a Korean neighborhood and not a Chinese one, if at all possible. Think Northern Boulevard instead of downtown Flushing. Only because I find Korean neighborhoods cleaner and I like the food better! Plus who doesn't love a little karaoke after Korean bbq?

Old 01-11-2011, 11:29 AM

28 posts, read 56,827 times
Actually the reason why we have those stainless steel doors, gates etc is becuase steel is durable and is not as vunerable to wear and tear. Who cares about aesthics if you can save money by not having to repaint your gate every few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City