Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 05:15 AM

294 posts, read 262,247 times

Advertisements

A coworker of mine told me that he purchased his 2 family home off Linden Blvd (can't remember exactly where) for $285,000 10 years ago. Now, he said his home is worth over $500,000. He said he's got good tenants and the area has gotten better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 01:48 PM

87 posts, read 93,265 times
The real estate prices continue to nudge up , 2 family renovated home bulit prior to 1920s are closing for 650K and 3 family for 700K+, the land/lot value has tripled to about 100+ a sq foot, apts rents are higher by $100-300 more for each type, if you look at last 5 year stats crime is slowly declining including murder rate..... the only things left is to see actual construction started from this rezoning plan and it will spurr on the advent of a high end coffee shop/deli/pub

Old 06-01-2016, 04:24 PM

675 posts, read 1,253,206 times
ENY up until the early 90's was a warzone. Now its much better but of course like any low income neighborhood it still has room for improvement. Go to places like the West Side of Chicago or North Philly or North St. Louis and it would make ENY seem pretty comfy...

Old 06-02-2016, 09:25 AM

14,017 posts, read 13,826,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
ENY up until the early 90's was a warzone. Now its much better but of course like any low income neighborhood it still has room for improvement. Go to places like the West Side of Chicago or North Philly or North St. Louis and it would make ENY seem pretty comfy...
Camden, NJ

Old 06-02-2016, 12:10 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,242,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Used to work in East Ny. I never saw so many druggies and beggars in my life. And this was the good section on Jamaica Ave by the Jackie Robinson during the day time. Felt like a third world country walking the street.
the amount of exaggeration that goes on CD is ridiculous. everywhere in nyc has crime. even in places you'd least expect. sure, ENY has a history.. but it's not anything as bad today as people say here. go to vandalia ave, it's nice. or up and down pennsylvania ave. everything looks decent. generally, many people here are ignorant and just fear black people. they the same types who sh*t their pants at the idea of going to harlem.

places like williamsburg brooklyn looked 10x worse 25 years ago than east new york today. there is still plenty of crime in those areas too.

last year, these neighborhoods had worse crime stats than ENY:

42EAST NEW YORKOverall Safety Rank 53
43THROGS NECKOverall Safety Rank 28
44PROSPECT LEFFERTS GARDENS & CROWN HEIGHTSOverall Safety Rank 46
45MOTT HAVENOverall Safety Rank 59
46BELMONT & BATHGATEOverall Safety Rank 56
47BUSHWICKOverall Safety Rank 52
48NORWOODOverall Safety Rank 49
49FLATLANDSOverall Safety Rank 31
50RED HOOK, CARROLL GARDENS & COBBLE HILLOverall Safety Rank 37
51PELHAM PARKWAYOverall Safety Rank 43
52BROWNSVILLEOverall Safety Rank 66
53BEDFORD-STUYVESANTOverall Safety Rank 62
54WILLIAMSBURGOverall Safety Rank 47
55LOWER EAST SIDE & CHINATOWNOverall Safety Rank 48
56HUNTS POINTOverall Safety Rank 67
57PARK SLOPEOverall Safety Rank 41
58MIDTOWN EAST, TURTLE BAY & KIPS BAYOverall Safety Rank 32
59ST. ALBANS & SOUTH JAMAICAOverall Safety Rank 55
60GREENPOINTOverall Safety Rank 50
61EAST VILLAGE & ALPHABET CITYOverall Safety Rank 58
62BROOKLYN HEIGHTS, BOERUM HILL & DUMBOOverall Safety Rank 60
63FORT GREENE & CLINTON HILLOverall Safety Rank 64
64MURRAY HILL & GRAMERCYOverall Safety Rank 57
65CHELSEA & HELL'S KITCHENOverall Safety Rank 61
66DOWNTOWNOverall Safety Rank 63
67FLATIRONOverall Safety Rank 65
68GREENWICH VILLAGE & MEATPACKING DISTRICTOverall Safety Rank 68
69MIDTOWNOverall Safety Rank 69

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 06-02-2016 at 12:25 PM..

Old 07-28-2016, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,256 times
I have been living here since since mid-May. While it lack infrastructural development and most folks seem to hold low income jobs or for others on welfare, it is not bad. I happen to live between 2 projects CYpres Hills and the Pink Houses. Sure you may observe some suspicious activities (operative word being suspicious) and loitering around the projects but the police maintain a very very strong presence around these areas. I do a lot of walking around the area and never had reason to fear (even though I've been cautioned by others). I've never heard of anyone being robbed, raped or killed either so I am appalled at some of the responses here.

It is evident that the communities have a rough history but nothing to suggest it is an extraordinarily violent area.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:20 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0dfather View Post
The real estate prices continue to nudge up , 2 family renovated home bulit prior to 1920s are closing for 650K and 3 family for 700K+, the land/lot value has tripled to about 100+ a sq foot, apts rents are higher by $100-300 more for each type, if you look at last 5 year stats crime is slowly declining including murder rate..... the only things left is to see actual construction started from this rezoning plan and it will spurr on the advent of a high end coffee shop/deli/pub
No way in hell would I pay that kind of money to live in any of those areas of Brooklyn. Half that maybe but this just stinks of RE bubble at those prices. Too much foreign money flooding in and using NYC as their personal get rich quick investment scheme where they can park their money and see huge returns.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:13 PM

14,017 posts, read 13,826,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romarioricketts View Post
I have been living here since since mid-May. While it lack infrastructural development and most folks seem to hold low income jobs or for others on welfare, it is not bad. I happen to live between 2 projects CYpres Hills and the Pink Houses. Sure you may observe some suspicious activities (operative word being suspicious) and loitering around the projects but the police maintain a very very strong presence around these areas. I do a lot of walking around the area and never had reason to fear (even though I've been cautioned by others). I've never heard of anyone being robbed, raped or killed either so I am appalled at some of the responses here.

It is evident that the communities have a rough history but nothing to suggest it is an extraordinarily violent area.
East New York will be DOA in couple of years residents just waiting for eviction notice with new re-zone law in that area

Old 07-28-2016, 06:48 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,422,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
East New York will be DOA in couple of years residents just waiting for eviction notice with new re-zone law in that area
That area is a little too far from Manhattan to attract most hispters/yuppies

It's also super dingy looking

Old 10-05-2017, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 802 times
ok first of all eny Is a big neighborhood in Brooklyn. For u non brooklynites and if ur not from Brooklyn don't comment on it! Because your misinformed. East New York is cool as far as I'm concerned people go to work everyday and every morning for the most part. It's just a couple of people that mess the neighborhood up for the rest of us everyone at least says good morning to you in the morning more than I can say in the hipstorized neighborhoods in bk people stop being scared and come mind ur business and live close to the train ✌
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City