Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 03:59 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I totally agree that hipsters PREFER to gentrify a dangerous, seedy, crime-ridden neighborhood rather than a relatively safe one!

Look at Bushwick, Bed-Stuy, the SOUTH BRONX!!, etc.

Meanwhile they will bypass safer neighborhoods (that are equally inexpensive or even cheaper) like Glendale, Midwood, Riverdale - they will even choose Bushwick over Ridgewood, even though the two neighborhoods are next door to each other and Ridgewood is far safer!
It depends on the part of Bushwick and Ridgewood. Some parts of Ridgewood are chosen over some parts of Bushwick. Some don't even realize they are in one neighborhood verse the other. Same for parts of Glendale that can be thought of as still being in Ridgewood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 12:40 PM

329 posts, read 299,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Saw New York tour bus with tourists passing through East New York gentrification is coming
It's coming already

Old 10-15-2017, 01:12 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
The only ENY L train stops white people get off at are Broadway Junction and Atlantic ave to transfer to the J/Z, A/C, or LIRR. On very rare occasion you might see one get off at Livonia to catch the 3 on Junius.
To be fair it was Atlantic Ave, but some of them were headed East. And one time I went all the way to Canarsie and saw 1 or 2 white people.

Quote:
I totally agree that hipsters PREFER to gentrify a dangerous, seedy, crime-ridden neighborhood rather than a relatively safe one!

Look at Bushwick, Bed-Stuy, the SOUTH BRONX!!, etc.

Meanwhile they will bypass safer neighborhoods (that are equally inexpensive or even cheaper) like Glendale, Midwood, Riverdale - they will even choose Bushwick over Ridgewood, even though the two neighborhoods are next door to each other and Ridgewood is far safer!

The parts of Bushwick along the L are not that seedy, it's like Williamsburg lite at this point. It's gritty, but it does not feel like a dangerous neighborhood.

And yeah like Gdale said a lot of them are in fact moving into Ridgewood, the Halsey L stop is actually in Ridgewood.

It's really all about location, sure a 22 year old hipster could live in Boro Park versus Bushwick but why would they?

Old 10-15-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Yeah I don't understand it. Even before South Bronx was talked about I was thinking Bay Ridge, Kensington, etc. especially since I worked in Brooklyn at the time.
Kensington has its share of hipsters (nearby Cortelyou Road in Flatbush is hipster to the max), but Bay Ridge is at the ens of the R train and thus not very convenient to Manhattan or North Brooklyn.

Plus Bay Ridge has a reputation for being conservative.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:58 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
To be fair it was Atlantic Ave, but some of them were headed East. And one time I went all the way to Canarsie and saw 1 or 2 white people.

The parts of Bushwick along the L are not that seedy, it's like Williamsburg lite at this point. It's gritty, but it does not feel like a dangerous neighborhood.

And yeah like Gdale said a lot of them are in fact moving into Ridgewood, the Halsey L stop is actually in Ridgewood.

It's really all about location, sure a 22 year old hipster could live in Boro Park versus Bushwick but why would they?
Because Boro Park is virtually crime-free?

Old 10-15-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Because Boro Park is virtually crime-free?
80 pound white girls walk around Bushwick at 4AM now, I would say safety there is not a big issue (at least along the L train). I've been going to Bushwick a lot lately and to be honest, it certainly doesn't have that "bad neighborhood" feel that you get while walking around Brownsville or East New York.

And yeah Boro Park may be low crime, but to the average person my age who's not a Hasidic Jew, it's boring. Not that one needs to be at the center of excitement, but the average hipster would rather be around other hipsters if possible, and close to North Brooklyn/Lower Manhattan.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:19 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
80 pound white girls walk around Bushwick at 4AM now, I would say safety there is not a big issue (at least along the L train). I've been going to Bushwick a lot lately and to be honest, it certainly doesn't have that "bad neighborhood" feel that you get while walking around Brownsville or East New York.

And yeah Boro Park may be low crime, but to the average person my age who's not a Hasidic Jew, it's boring. Not that one needs to be at the center of excitement, but the average hipster would rather be around other hipsters if possible, and close to North Brooklyn/Lower Manhattan.
Why area by Manhattan Bridge is depressing and homeless people everywhere in Manhattan

Old 10-15-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Why area by Manhattan Bridge is depressing and homeless people everywhere in Manhattan
Manhattan Bridge isn't near any of those neighborhoods so I'm not sure what you're talking about

Old 10-15-2017, 08:30 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Manhattan Bridge isn't near any of those neighborhoods so I'm not sure what you're talking about
I know I was talking about lower east side/east village there huge homeless problem there

Old 10-15-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I know I was talking about lower east side/east village there huge homeless problem there
Oh okay

I'm not sure, I've seen a lot of homeless around EV too. And Union Square. I think that just happens to be a place a lot of homeless people go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City