Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:26 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
When you went to DMV to get the Non Driver ID, you should have just done the switch there and changed your license instead of getting the ID.

There is no such question on the road (or written) test about "the number of stop signs". Whoever told you that is an idiot.

Don't blame NY or NYC for your failure to get a license. Whether you plan to drive here everyday or once a year, you should have just gotten the license. You're an adult; act like one.

By the way, I'm smelling a troll here. Anyone else..............
Nope, they're not an idiot, they aren't the only person to have told me something ridiculous like that. Sorry, guess you're one of those people that doesn't see NYC for what it is...a money making business. The more times they fail people, the more money. You sound very immature calling me a troll. Are you serious? It's a license question. LOL..wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
I first got my driver's license when I was 16 yrs old in Ohio. Due to some idiocy on my part my Ohio driver's license lapsed.

Since moving back to NYC I got my license back and only delayed doing so b/c I hated having to do the whole thing over especially in money hungry expensive NY.

Yes, you will have to take the test for a permit. I found this very easy after REALIZING THE SAME EXACT QUESTIONS were on the test that were on the internet to prepare for the test! (Who's the genius who thought of that?)

You don't have to take classes, only 1 five hour class regardless if you had a previous license or not.

You don't have to go to a driving school since you already know how to drive, I didn't. I did go to one of the driving schools to rent one of their cars for the test. On the way to the test I just asked the person taking me show me an example of the U-turns permitted in NY since U-turns aren't permitted in Ohio.

I was told by a friend that Red Hook was the easiest area for the test and I found that to be true. Although I'm a good experienced driver and have experience driving in NY traffic but attach the word test to anything and I'm a bundle of nerves.

I hated NY fees attached to getting your license but I didn't want to re-test in Ohio either since they make you pull into and reverse out of the cones without stopping. I passed years ago on the first try but years later I didn't want to do that pain in the butt test again.

It's good to keep your license, you never know when you might want to rent a car and take a weekend trip.

Oh I think all and all for my NY license I paid around $160 or $170 total, these were fees for the license, fee for the car rental, and fee for that rip-off 5 hour class that everyone has to take.
Finally! A really helpful answer . So you only spent $160 total? If that's the case, that's not so bad. But what about your permit? THey just give it to you after you take that test and you then apply for the road test? Hmm..if it's only $160 then that doesn't seem too bad. I mean, that's still way more expensive than my home state, but I can deal with that I suppose

Old 01-16-2011, 09:34 AM

589 posts, read 1,220,255 times
Just get a state ID over a license if it's too difficult for you. Less terrible drivers on the road for me

Btw go to staten island or long island dmv office if you dont want to wait for hours on line

Old 01-16-2011, 09:35 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
Sorry, guess you're one of those people that doesn't see NYC for what it is...a money making business. The more times they fail people, the more money. You sound very immature calling me a troll. Are you serious? It's a license question. LOL..wow.
Quite a trollish post.
Now I understand what this is all about.
However---I'll make another valid point about your little problem.
I'm 41 years old and have lived in 3 states.
In each state I made sure I transferred my license over.
Thats part of being an adult, and at 26 years old, you qualify as an adult.
Enjoy your visit to the DMV.
It's sure to be a DOOOOOOZY

Old 01-16-2011, 09:37 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
What's your point? Did you even read the beginning post? IT WENT EXPIRED. IT WAS ALREADY EXPIRED. HOPE THAT CLEARS IT UP FOR YOU!
If your license has been valid for 6 months or expired for under a year it's a simple trade in.

I'm not the "bumpkin" here.

And you can ***** and moan about how overpriced everything is till you're blue in the face. Leave and make space for the happier people to move here.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish22 View Post
Yeah...flaming idiots THAT HAVE A VALID LICENSE.
Can you say that?

Maybe...but who's the idiot that DIDN'T get their license?
Awww..pat on the back for you! You offered...well..absolutely nothing to the conversation. I guess you're one of those troublemakers who likes to feel big talking trash on forums. Why do I keep running into these cyber lames? Is this really that controversial of a topic? Geesh lol.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
If your license has been valid for 6 months or expired for under a year it's a simple trade in.

I'm not the "bumpkin" here.

And you can ***** and moan about how overpriced everything is till you're blue in the face. Leave and make space for the happier people to move here.
Ohiobumpkin...what is your point? Do you have anything intelligent to add? Yep, didn't think so. LOL. I won't be leaving NYC anytime soon....unfortunately. Hubby is working at a great firm & we're both finishing up our degrees @ NYU. Why would I leave? Ignorant suggestion.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:49 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
I'm not talking trash.
You were when you bashed NYC and the DMV because you refused to follow the law.
I'm born and raised in this town you hate so much.
So of course I found your post offensive.
Follow the laws.....take your little girl panties off....go to DMV and take your medicine.

Yummy!

Old 01-16-2011, 09:50 AM

900 posts, read 2,371,654 times
Quote:
Finally! A really helpful answer . So you only spent $160 total? If that's the case, that's not so bad. But what about your permit? THey just give it to you after you take that test and you then apply for the road test? Hmm..if it's only $160 then that doesn't seem too bad. I mean, that's still way more expensive than my home state, but I can deal with that I suppose

Yes, you get your temporary permit immediately after you take the written test if you pass. They also take your picture at the same time in preparation for your license. Something I didn't know since Ohio doesn't do it this way.

After getting your permit you have up until 4 or 5 years to take the road test since your temporary permit will last that long and you can also extend the temporary permit too before it expires.

If you know someone with a car you can borrow then it will be even cheaper for you than the $160/$170 I paid. I think I paid either $50.00 or $60.00 for the car rental. This was in 2008 so prices may be more and other driving schools were higher.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish22 View Post
I'm not talking trash.
You were when you bashed NYC and the DMV because you refused to follow the law.
I'm born and raised in this town you hate so much.
So of course I found your post offensive.
Follow the laws.....take your little girl panties off....go to DMV and take your medicine.

Yummy!
*Yawn* I don't care. It's a city..not your Mother. Get over it. I still feel the same way lol. This place just kind of sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City