Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 05:16 PM

37 posts, read 137,300 times

Advertisements

This is the only alternative to improve the lower east side. Tenants should be given the opportunity to purchase their units in which they're currently living in.

Last edited by rqnll; 07-17-2007 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 05:32 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
yeah. and run poor people out to the Bronx. yay!!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 05:46 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rqnll View Post
This is the only alternative to save the lower east side.

Tenants will reap the financial benefits if they decide to cash out by selling their units in the marketplace, and use the proceeds to purchase a home of their choice elsewhere.
it's not the tenants property to sell
how about the city evict them first then sell the apts and the city can reap the profits, that's something I could support

Old 07-17-2007, 06:25 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,348 times
Sorry to break this thread, but I put up one privatizing all of the PJ's. The main issue is NYCHA's debt, which is not expected to turn around anytime soon. Other issues, as well.....

Old 07-17-2007, 06:42 PM

52 posts, read 217,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Sorry to break this thread, but I put up one privatizing all of the PJ's. The main issue is NYCHA's debt, which is not expected to turn around anytime soon. Other issues, as well.....
You mean the Federal funding being witheld for not requiring tennants to work has put NYCHA in the red?

Old 07-17-2007, 06:46 PM

52 posts, read 217,861 times
Think of the world's poor starving Yuppies and their hipster kin that need those apartments! They could call them "High-Rises" and we could import more Mexicans to cook for them. ('Cause that's a job no one else wants!)

Old 07-17-2007, 07:07 PM

37 posts, read 137,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson99 View Post
Think of the world's poor starving Yuppies and their hipster kin that need those apartments! They could call them "High-Rises" and we could import more Mexicans to cook for them. ('Cause that's a job no one else wants!)
Allowing tenants become homeowners can only be a good thing. The city, state, and federal govt and private banks have to come up with creative ways which will afford these tenants the opportunity to realize a piece of NYC's economic success.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:54 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rqnll View Post
Allowing tenants become homeowners can only be a good thing. The city, state, and federal govt and private banks have to come up with creative ways which will afford these tenants the opportunity to realize a piece of NYC's economic success.
Man, if I was in the 3BR room I grew up in in Tompkins Houses, and had an opportunity to buy it, I'd jump at that joint like a tiger!

ALL of them buildings were built well. ALL of them!!!!! OK, major renovations and quality of life upgrades are sure needed, but that can happen with privatization!

Old 07-17-2007, 10:04 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,265 times
Oh God, I hope one of the fine youths of the "real" LES puts a bullet in the OP's head. It's thinking like this that creates so much tension between have's and have nots. Not everyone in the projects is a pig criminal. A minority of the bunch makes it a dump for everyone. Most of those people REALLY need that housing.

Also the way the housing is designed it would take major renovations. years of neglect has really worn things down, and many "features" are not desireable to someone who wants to buy/rent at market rate. Thank god they are tough or they would have ended up like the Robert Taylor homes in Chicago, demolished.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:05 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
I don't know if the PJ's need to be sold off, per se, (why should the city throw away its assets?) but I think they could definitely be run better by a private management corporation (that could make money instead of loose it like NYCHA, while at the same time providing a better service).

Look at Parkchester or Stuyvesant Town. These are PJ style housing that are run by private management companies. Those buildings and the tenants who live in them are in a hell of a better situation than people living in the real projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City