Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:05 PM

203 posts, read 852,763 times

Advertisements

We visited Astoria for the first time this past weekend and really loved it...the people, the energy, the stores, etc. However, I didn't see many children around (as I did in other areas we visited). Would I be correct to assume that Astoria is not so popular with families or single parents? I do have a 10 year old. Also, when I looked into schools I only found one public elementary school listed as being in Astoria, the rest were all listed as Long Island City. Any advice on Astoria as a place for a single mom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 12:34 PM

646 posts, read 1,610,641 times
There are lots of kids in Astoria. I can only guess that you may have been looking in the wrong places.

Astoria sometimes is called LIC by the post office, so that may be the problem when you tried to look up schools. Try locating them on google maps or something. There is definitely more than one public elementary school.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:04 AM

319 posts, read 1,250,595 times
steinway's pretty dirty. i think it's nicer further out by ditmars - it's not far, just last stop on n/w.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,196 times
I also will be moving to astoria looking for my fellow middle eastern people. Trying to find a place to live and enjoy myself. But where can i go in the steinway area to find fun on a friday nite?

Old 02-20-2009, 12:28 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Wanda - there are plenty of kids there, but I wouldn't exactly say it is a place to let your son out and ride his bike by himself. Plenty of people do this, but I'm not one of them. Astoria borders LIC, Woodside, Jackson Hieghts/East Elmhurst and Sunnyside. LIC is very up and coming, but also very expensive. Native's to Astoria think of LIC as more industrial, but it has been built up tremendously over the past few years. Woodside ehh (I live there, crowded, but not necessarily in a good way), but I'm about 6 blocks from where Astoria is. I live on Broadway and if I'm not mistaken 46th and Broadway is Astoria, but 47th and Broadway is Woodside. If you are sending your son to private school Astoria will be just fine. I would stick to the Ditmars area.

Bella - you should stay around Broadway and Steinway. there aren't many rest. on Steinway, but pleny on Broadway and tons of lounges that you will love.

Good luck to you both may you find exactly what you are looking for.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:49 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,586,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
There's a big Arab center, and since I'm of Lebanese heritage, it's a great place to hang on Friday Nights. Sadly, most of the Arab's are Muslim, old (as in 45ish), and immigrants, wheras I'm a Christian, 18, and American born.
I don't want to get off the subject or turn this into an age thread but 45 is not that "old" especially in todays society.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:55 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,242 times
Steinway isn't dirty?! It's as clean as any main street in small town America. There's even a grandfather clock like you'd find somewhere in anytown, ohio.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:06 PM

162 posts, read 602,060 times
If I lived in Astoria I would want to live near the Shore, that area and the view of Manhattan/Wards/Roosevelt Island from it is one of the hidden gems in New York City in my opinion.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:13 PM

144 posts, read 324,540 times
How would you describe the following areas:

B'way
30th Ave
Ditmars
Steinway

Which is the cleanest, most desirable, closest to nyc, closest to good entertainment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City