Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:25 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
My mom would get the seat. A young able bodied woman? nope. get outta here thinking you're entitled to anything.

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine talks about how ironic it is that women have come so far in their pursuit of equality yet lost the little niceties in the process.

Most of the people I offer my seat to on the bus/train turn it down. I guess pride interferes on occasion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 09:42 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,278,015 times
It might sound rude but I dont offer my seat to anybody on the bus or train. I paid my fare too. Tough noogies.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-30-2011, 09:44 PM

110 posts, read 219,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeltCrystal View Post
I know I may be old-fashioned especially up North where people lack manners in the first place, but you cannot be serious with this question.

I bet you would not even offer your seat to you own mother.
Honestly miss if you came here looking for colonel sanders style gentlemen, you are looking in the wrong place. Its like me trying to find a decent slice of pizza in oklahoma . At one point you have to stop complaining and cut your loses and move to where what you seek actually exists.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:49 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
My mom would get the seat. A young able bodied woman? nope. get outta here thinking you're entitled to anything.
Sometimes if I am in heels a guy will offer me a seat and I never take it. I am 24 years old I can stand for 15-20 minutes.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:58 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I do have compassion for people --- very much so. However, I also believe in common sense. Why leave 5 or 10 people standing in the cold when they can get on the bus and out of the way in 30 seconds only to take 10 minutes to get a wheelchair person on the bus?????

My knee problem is bad but it's getting better everyday. However, if the day comes that I do end up in a wheelchair, I will have consideration for others. When I use my cane, people are considerate and I appreciate that so, so much. On the other hand, I'm not taking 10 minutes to board a bus, get through a door, or anything else. In other words, someone being considerate to me is not imposing on 10 other people.
I'e never seen it take that long. Two, three minutes tops. However let's agree to disagree but remember the day you might end up in a wheelchair, do not use the public bus. That's one less handicap person that is a burden to the rest of us.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:33 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine talks about how ironic it is that women have come so far in their pursuit of equality yet lost the little niceties in the process.

Most of the people I offer my seat to on the bus/train turn it down. I guess pride interferes on occasion?
double standard and they abuse it.

They want men to hold doors, pull out chairs, yada yada and be chivalrous.

Then they want to be treated as equals.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:53 AM

527 posts, read 1,019,809 times
Some things are just plain common courtesy- and the way you were brought up-

I am a 41yr old woman and personally I wouldnt hesitate to offer my seat to an elderly man or woman as well as someone expecting a baby. This is my mannerism and how I was raised and taught. I will teach my children those same manners.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:11 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
Some things are just plain common courtesy- and the way you were brought up-

I am a 41yr old woman and personally I wouldnt hesitate to offer my seat to an elderly man or woman as well as someone expecting a baby. This is my mannerism and how I was raised and taught. I will teach my children those same manners.
Same here! Many of my NYer friends have the attitude that the other person isn't more special than they are. But something personally pulls at my heart watching an 80 year old man with a cane stand in a crowded bus..or a nearly due woman clinging on to the pole, tired and all. I realize it won't kill me to offer them my seat and stand for the rest of the ride. Karma I guess haha

Old 01-31-2011, 09:36 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
I will always give my seat up to the elderly, injured, pregnant or somehow of any gender who looks visibily exhausted (moreso than the avg person of course). And based on my experiences on the trains I can say that people generally do give up their seats to these groups, and oftentimes simply being a woman gets you a seat.

Now for the bus, well there seems to be different rules here, and it may be a product of the population who take the bus. The train riders tend to be more able-bodied, younger, etc, while those on the bus tend to be older (they have trouble going up and down stairs to take a train), less healthy/obese, and there is the sense that everyone on the bus has a justified reason to have a seat, which is why I believe people are less likely to give up a seat on the bus than on the train.

Should an elderly man give up his seat to a pregnant lady? Should a morbidly obese person give up their seat for an elderly person? Should a handicapped person give up their seat to a morbidly obese woman? Should a woman with kids get a seat over the obese? This seems to be the choices that occur more often on the bus than train. That being said, it's also a product of the crowded conditions oftentimes on the bus, and less than stellar people. There is also an air among passengers that "I don't want to be on the bus, I hate the bus, and I deserve better." Or maybe it's just me..who knows.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:58 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
This is a rant. Tell me weather this is typical New York behavior or the act of ill mannered repulsive people. This all happened in one trip from Westchester Square to the Simpson st. station.. I took the BX4 a very busy and crowded bus. The ride went well until we got to Parkchester. A woman sitting in the "lone" seats was getting off the next stop but she got out of her seat early so an older woman could take it. A man around his 30's already seating in the "sideways" seats saw the woman getting up, rushed to block the older woman from seating there and took the seat. I know these are prime seats but is this kind of behavior necessary?

The next incident happened at Elder Ave. The bus was pretty crowded with only a few seats in the "hood" section in the back. A man see a woman with a few bags standing, like a gentleman he gets up to give an empty window seat to the woman. What the woman does was sit in his seat and puts her bags on the empty window seat. Being a gentleman he just looked and nodded his head and stood for the rest of the ride. Why are some people so self absorbed and care so little for their fellow man?

I've taken the N6 of the LI bus and people at the very busy Jamaica stops always stand in an orderly line to get on the bus. At every NYC bus stop it's always a mad rush to get on the bus. Many times I've seen people not even allow riders to get off the bus and the driver has even yelled at passenger to wait for the handicapped person to board the bus first. I've heard people grumble when this they see a handicapped person get on the bus first.

What is wrong with some New Yorkers?
Selfish characters can be found everywhere, not just in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City