Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 10:33 AM

527 posts, read 1,019,882 times

Advertisements

All I can say is that thank god I havent taken public transportation for over 10 years now!
People just aren't brought up right-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 10:37 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Congratulations, you have been driving your car, polluting our environment and contributing to the Earth's accelerated destruction, and wasting lost of money in the process. Thank God indeed!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:45 AM

134 posts, read 127,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSI View Post
This is the reality of multicultural society, its not like television and what you are seeing is a bi-product of the lack of a cultural or moral standard on a city bus, in order for something like "considerate" by your standard to happen, you have to be surrounded by people who share this standard, but you are dealing with people from all over the world who have varying standards of what is considerate that do not match yours, so usually it goes to the lowest common denominator, which is no consideration at all on a city bus. Are you surprised by this?
Where I was raised, men were supposed to give up their seats to women, hold and open doors for us, and always let us go first (Hence the term, Ladies first...) And we were required to smile and say "Thank you". This also applies to the elderly. I have yet to see this gentlemanly behavior in NYC except for limo drivers and things of that nature.

To answer your question, yes I was and still am surprised by the culture shock. I know NYC is full of immigrants but I think that if they want to come to America they would make some effort to assimilate to our culture.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:46 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Interesting observations, and I think that part of it is neighborhood related as I generally see orderly cues for the bus in Manhattan, Riverdale, Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, and areas in Queens like Bayside. Express bus riders also tend to be more considerate, as well, at least in my experience. There is a lack of decorum that I have witnessed on the subway, which is similar to what 1nevets witnessed on the bus. I will still defer to ladies, the elderly, and others who might need a few seconds extra, etc., even if I am among the last in the city to do so. The local bus and the subway do tend to rank among the less considerate, in terms of ridership, that I have personally experienced, though it is refreshing that not everyone acts similarly.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-24-2011, 10:48 AM

588 posts, read 947,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Anyone that asks whether this is native to NYers has never lived outside of the 5 boroughs, because NYC could not function in any way without order and laws...there are just too many people and it would all come to a grinding halt.

This type of behavior is HUMAN behavior, and we are trained by society to be orderly..so you will find it everywhere, especially out in the suburbs. Anyone who believes it doesn't happen in the suburbs never leaves their cars long enough to interact with people. I have never been more terrified and shocked than when I venture out to middle America...and those who have spent time in middle America would agree.

Considering we have every country and their cultures represented in tightly packed trains, buses, streets, etc., we all get along quite well..moreso than the homogenized white washed Middle America in fact...why is that? You pack 8 million middle Americans on the 6 train and watch all hell break loose, especially since 50% will have a gun (legally) and will demand their space.
Actually I find people in "Middle America"/Pa,NC to be more courteous, especially the drivers.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:11 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
SpeltCrystal..and when lots of men were raised, men were supposed to give up their seats, hold the door open for women, and pull their chairs out for them at the table etc, but the flip side is, men also expected women to be compliant and submissive, stay home with the kids, and cater to them.

So if you want things the "old" way like you were raised, you can have that, but don't expect to be treated like an equal, and be totally submissive to your husband/men. Or you can hold the door open for yourself, be treated like an equal, and be independent. EVERYONE should have common courtesy, and I am not clear why a man who works 8 hours a day in construction outside, should give up his seat to a woman who sit for 8 hours a day as an admin. Because you are a woman you get special benefits afforded to you by men? So as a man I get special benefits afforded to me by women..i.e. control and domination. Sounds good to me! Let's do things your way!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:04 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Interesting observations, and I think that part of it is neighborhood related as I generally see orderly cues for the bus in Manhattan, Riverdale, Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, and areas in Queens like Bayside. Express bus riders also tend to be more considerate, as well, at least in my experience. There is a lack of decorum that I have witnessed on the subway, which is similar to what 1nevets witnessed on the bus. I will still defer to ladies, the elderly, and others who might need a few seconds extra, etc., even if I am among the last in the city to do so. The local bus and the subway do tend to rank among the less considerate, in terms of ridership, that I have personally experienced, though it is refreshing that not everyone acts similarly.

I have noticed a couple express bus stops where people wait on lines. Normal buses though - every man/woman (pregnant, elderly or otherwise) for themselves.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:27 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,091,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeltCrystal View Post
Unfortunately this kind of behavior is commonplace and generally accepted in NYC. NYers act like they are in their own little world sometimes, it gets to the point when it gets highly irritating. I too have had terrible experiences using the little deathtraps known as the NYC subway and buses.

On the buses or subway NO MAN offers to give up his seat for an elderly person or a woman when they are no seats left. This one man quickly got in the last seat while a pregnant woman was left to stand on the bus. Talk about inconsiderate. There is no consideration for the disabled as they will quickly scramble onto the bus like wild zoo animals. I was knocked down, pushed violently, and cursed at while trying to board on the bus by other passengers. The men in NYC have no respect for woman whatsoever. Even the bus driver gave me attitude for just asking questions while he continued to blast loud, annoying reggae Jamaican music on the bus and looking up my shirt at the same time. He also had the nerve to eat on the bus while driving and I had to smell his repulsive Jamaican food all the while on the bus. Not a good experience.
Moderator cut: Please don't imply profanity by going around the filter

Ive seen men(myself included) go completely out their way to give their seat to the ederly,small children and pregnant woman

And i've never seen a MTA bus driver eat while driving a bus or blast music. Stop your lies

Last edited by bmwguydc; 01-24-2011 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 01-24-2011, 02:39 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
In Boston i noticed ppl let ppl get off the trains and buses before they board and ppl give up there seats to females and elderly. Down in this region it seems no one cares....

Old 01-24-2011, 02:47 PM

483 posts, read 854,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeltCrystal View Post
Where I was raised, men were supposed to give up their seats to women, hold and open doors for us, and always let us go first (Hence the term, Ladies first...) And we were required to smile and say "Thank you". This also applies to the elderly. I have yet to see this gentlemanly behavior in NYC except for limo drivers and things of that nature.
Really? wow!! In the last month alone while up in East Harlem, I've had 3 different men extend their hand to me while I was attempting to schlep through the snow/ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City