Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Borough Has The Most Ethnic Enclaves?
Bronx 6 4.88%
Manhattan 1 0.81%
Brooklyn 19 15.45%
Queens 95 77.24%
Staten Island 2 1.63%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 11:51 PM

961 posts, read 2,456,388 times

Advertisements

10 years ago I would've said Brooklyn, but Queens gets it. I don't know who voted the Bronx, suprised it wasn't the Bronx spokesman (Bluedog), lol that man loves his borough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 12:32 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,332,301 times
na he voted for queens^

Old 01-24-2011, 12:49 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,932,209 times
Id say brooklyn is the second most diverse borough after queens. Jews, west indians in cwh, dominicans in bushuick, mexicans in sunset park, to the aas in brownsville east ny, italians, russians, and chinese in bensonhursts to the yuppies of dumbo to hipsters in williamsburg.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:53 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,748,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Ethnic enclaves are areas that are culturally distinguished from other areas. For example, Flatbush is an ethnic enclave of West Indians. Washington Heights is an enclave of Dominicans.

Which borough has the most?
Queens, of course. From the Chinese and Korean neighborhhods of Flushing to the Indian and Latino sectors of Jackson Heights to the many middle class black enclaves of SE Queens to the Guyanese neighborhoods in Richmond Hills, Jamaica and Floral Park and lets not forget the old guard whites of Italian, Jewish, Irish, Polish, Germans and Greeks living in Bayside, Whitestone, Douglaston, Middle Village, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Howard Beach and Astoria. (loved that run-on sentence.)

The other boroughs are predominately one or two groups with other sprinkled in or closed off to a certain area. Brooklyn, mostly white or black Bronx, mostly Latino, Staten Island, mostly Italian and Manhattan, mostly whites and Asian in the south and blacks and Latinos in the North.

Queens is by far the most ethnically diverse. Take a train ride on the 7 or E or F train in Queens.

Last edited by 1nevets; 01-24-2011 at 01:01 AM..

Old 01-24-2011, 12:57 AM

Who voted for the Bronx? The next boro after Queens would be Brooklyn then I'd say Bronx would be a prince at 3rd. I would expect some votes for Brooklyn but not the Bronx.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:51 AM

Yeah, I definately would've said Brooklyn after Queens. Jews-Crown Heights, Borough Park, South Williamsburg & Midwood. West Indians- Crown Heights, Flatbush and Canarsie. Black Americans-Bed Stuy, Brownsville and ENY. Puerto Ricans-Bushwick, South Williamsburg, East NY (Highland Park) and Sunset Park. Dominicans-(see P.R.'s). Mexicans-Sunset Park. Russians-Brighton Beach, Gravesend. Polish-Greenpoint. Chinese-Sunset Park (around 8th and 9th ave), Bensonhurst. Middle Eastern & Pakistani- Bay Ridge, Atlantic Ave west of 4th ave, Kensington. West Africans-Fulton (around Nostrand and Franklin). Italians-Bensonhurst, Carroll Gardens, Gravesend and Bay Ridge (parts of it).

Areas that are a toss up, Fort Greene/Clinton Hill- Afro-American and Yuppie. Prospect Heights-West Indian and Yuppie. Kensington/Ditmas Park/Windsor- everybody. Even with all this Brooklyn does not beat Queens, thats a testament to Queens' diversity.

Last edited by twist07; 01-24-2011 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: the toss up

Old 01-25-2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
Yeah, I definately would've said Brooklyn after Queens. Jews-Crown Heights, Borough Park, South Williamsburg & Midwood. West Indians- Crown Heights, Flatbush and Canarsie. Black Americans-Bed Stuy, Brownsville and ENY. Puerto Ricans-Bushwick, South Williamsburg, East NY (Highland Park) and Sunset Park. Dominicans-(see P.R.'s). Mexicans-Sunset Park. Russians-Brighton Beach, Gravesend. Polish-Greenpoint. Chinese-Sunset Park (around 8th and 9th ave), Bensonhurst. Middle Eastern & Pakistani- Bay Ridge, Atlantic Ave west of 4th ave, Kensington. West Africans-Fulton (around Nostrand and Franklin). Italians-Bensonhurst, Carroll Gardens, Gravesend and Bay Ridge (parts of it).

Areas that are a toss up, Fort Greene/Clinton Hill- Afro-American and Yuppie. Prospect Heights-West Indian and Yuppie. Kensington/Ditmas Park/Windsor- everybody. Even with all this Brooklyn does not beat Queens, thats a testament to Queens' diversity.
Yeahhhh!!!!!!!! Let's hear it for Queens. It's no longer the place that Archie Bunker built or where blacks get attack when walking on the Cross Bay Blvd. I love the new Queens. Now if we could fix up ENY and Brownsville, Brooklyn could get some props.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Yeahhhh!!!!!!!! Let's hear it for Queens. It's no longer the place that Archie Bunker built or where blacks get attack when walking on the Cross Bay Blvd. I love the new Queens. Now if we could fix up ENY and Brownsville, Brooklyn could get some props.

haha, dag I completely forgot Queens used to be like that. Big ups to Queens! Brooklyn is till my favorite borough though.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:06 PM

43 posts, read 100,216 times
Queens has a little bit of everyone!!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:18 PM

250 posts, read 560,830 times
Queens it is!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City