Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Borough Has The Most Ethnic Enclaves?
Bronx 6 4.88%
Manhattan 1 0.81%
Brooklyn 19 15.45%
Queens 95 77.24%
Staten Island 2 1.63%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 02:22 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,446 times

Advertisements

Pretty sure it's Queens with Brooklyn a close 2nd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 10:17 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthShoreGrrl View Post
I would have guessed Brooklyn . .
I may have to change my answer and support you. Queens makes sense to many given that it is more ethnically diverse than Brooklyn in terms of the representation of different ethnicities. Having written that, however, that doesn't necessarily translate into more ethnic enclaves than Brooklyn. And, from my understanding of the two boroughs, Brooklyn may very well have more true ethnic enclaves than Queens. Maybe they are there (and acknowledging that Asians of all stripes, West Indians, African Americans, non-recent immigrant whites, Hispanics, etc. are found in both boroughs), you don't really hear much about Queens having significant Eastern European (Polish, Russian, to a lesser extent Albanians, etc.) enclaves. Now, I very well may be wrong about this, but this is the sense that I get.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:20 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Queens is the diverse place on earth, even Forest Hills which was usually known as a mostly upper middle class Jewish neighborhood is mixed with a lot of Asians, Latinos and some blacks now, Forest Hills HS where my cousins went to is 30 percent white, 25 percent asian 30 latino percent or any race, 10 percent black and 5 percent mixed. That is incredible.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:02 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I may have to change my answer and support you. Queens makes sense to many given that it is more ethnically diverse than Brooklyn in terms of the representation of different ethnicities. Having written that, however, that doesn't necessarily translate into more ethnic enclaves than Brooklyn. And, from my understanding of the two boroughs, Brooklyn may very well have more true ethnic enclaves than Queens. Maybe they are there (and acknowledging that Asians of all stripes, West Indians, African Americans, non-recent immigrant whites, Hispanics, etc. are found in both boroughs), you don't really hear much about Queens having significant Eastern European (Polish, Russian, to a lesser extent Albanians, etc.) enclaves. Now, I very well may be wrong about this, but this is the sense that I get.
Queens has more ethnic enclaves than Brooklyn. You'll find Polish in Maspeth and Ridgewood, Russians in Rego Park, Albanians in Sunnyside, etc... You are very well wrong about this.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:43 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Queens has more ethnic enclaves than Brooklyn. You'll find Polish in Maspeth and Ridgewood, Russians in Rego Park, Albanians in Sunnyside, etc... You are very well wrong about this.
OK, so I'm wrong about that. Still doesn't help in answering whether Queens has more ethnic enclaves than Brooklyn (indeed, Brooklyn has all of those groups, and more, as well), which was the main purpose of my post.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:30 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
OK, so I'm wrong about that. Still doesn't help in answering whether Queens has more ethnic enclaves than Brooklyn (indeed, Brooklyn has all of those groups, and more, as well), which was the main purpose of my post.
For one thing, Queens has more neighborhoods and livable land. Ever look at the horizon and noticed that there are more Condo towers in Queens than Bklyn?

For awhile I couldn't find a good Jamaican Patty in Brooklyn other than downtown but it was weak vs the real deal in Jamaica Queens.

Queens has a pretty sizeable Korean population. Not many in Bkyln.

For Latinos, Queens has a much broader spectrum of Latinos and South Americans than Bklyn. Jackson Heights, Corona, Sunnyside, and Elmhurst always had pretty good Latin food and festivities. There are nowhere in Bklyn like Jackson Heights where you can smell Adobo getting off the 7 train.

As for Europeans, there used to be good chunk of Polish, Irish, and Italian neighborhoods around. Now it's harder to define which area but they still exist in parts of Queens and even harder to define in Bklyn.

The problem with Bklyn is that there are too little neighborhoods that connected to each other without some separation by a park, factories, or cemetery.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:46 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Queens has more ethnic enclaves. You'll find more countries represented in Queens and in larger numbers. Maybe Brooklyn has more culture, which might be what your talking about, but as for diversity, that goes to Queens. I'm in both boros everyday as I live on the border, it is very noticeable which has more ethnic enclaves.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:58 AM

251 posts, read 283,210 times
I'm sure I missed some, but, off the top of my head:

Queens:
Ridgewood/Maspeth (Polish/Puerto Rican)
Astoria (Brazilian/Greek/Bengali/Arab/Eastern European)
Ditmars-Steinway (Greek)
Jackson Heights (Indian/South American)
Sunnyside (mix)
Corona (Mexican/South American)
Greater Flushing (Chinese/Indian/Korean)
Bayside/East Flushing (Korean)
Woodside (Thai/Filipino)
East Elmhurst (African-American)
Glendale (Albanian/Eastern European)
Forest Hills/Rego Park (Russian/Romanian/Chinese/Indian)
Woodhaven (Dominican)
Ozone Park (Bengali/Dominican)
Richmond Hill (Indo-Guyanese)
South Ozone Park (Indo-Guyanese/Trinidadian)
Jamaica (South American/Bengali/Filipino/Indian/Guyanese)
South Jamaica (African-American)
SE Queens (Jamaican/Trinidadian)
Queens Village (Afro-Guyanese)
Whitestone (Italian)
Cambria Heights/St. Albans (Haitian)

Brooklyn:
Greenpoint (Polish)
East Williamsburg (Italian)
Bushwick (Puerto Rican/Dominican)
Greater Bed-Stuy (African-American)
Crown Heights (West Indian/Hasidic)
East Flatbush/Canarsie (West Indian)
Flatbush (West Indian/Arab/East African)
Cypress Hills/ENY (Puerto Rican/Dominican/African-American)
Carrol Gardens (Italian)
Western Sunset Park (Mexican/Puerto Rican)
Eastern Sunset Park (Chinese)
Bay Ridge (Italian/Arab/Greek)
Bensonhurst (Chinese/Italian)
Bath Beach (mix)
Avenue U (Chinese)
South Williamsburg (Hasidic)
Borough Park (Hasidic)
Ocean Parkway (Syrian)
Kensington (Pakistani/Indian)
Brighton Beach (Ukrainian)
Sheepshead Bay (Russian/Uzbek)

Old 06-24-2015, 09:20 AM

38 posts, read 64,557 times
The Bronx is becoming more and more a destination for various immigrant groups. Pockets of Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Jamaicans/West Indians, Albanians, Irish, Italians, etc spread throughout the borough.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:16 AM

259 posts, read 268,323 times
Queens by far. No contest really. I'm guessing some people don't venture far from home...

/Thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City