Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:56 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpIslander View Post
I have two little children and explore the city with my kids and husband. I don't know how you can explore or appreacite the city with three little ones on your own. My two little ones under 2 cause me to stay indoor more often then I would like if I don't have someone else to venture with me. Give Manhattan a chance. Venture out with your husband when he is off.
Or make friends with some of the other day care moms and venture out with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 08:20 PM

756 posts, read 2,278,645 times
Others have already said a lot of the same things I was going to, but besides the cold and the subways, what are your specific issues?

Do you not have any artistic/cultural interests? The city is great for stuff like that and plenty of museums have free/cheap hours. You should check out sites like NewYorkology: A New York Travel Guide and TimeOut to find fun, free (or inexpensive) things to do with your kids. It sounds like there's so much to do (that doesn't cost money) that you're not taking part in!

Also, you say you moved here from D.C., yet you're complaining about the cold. D.C. is pretty damn cold too.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:29 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
^^^^ Yes to that! Time Out NY Kids always has a ton of inexpensive or free stuff for you to bring kids to on weekends. They also have listings of places that are open during the week, etc. If one of your kids is in daycare all day, get a double stroller for the other 2 and venture out and explore NYC! Central Park is beautiful all year round --- take a nice long walk through the park. There is so much to do and see in Central Park. There's just so much to do. I'm thinking you moved here very recently and are homesick or just haven't found out what a great city this is!

Old 01-23-2011, 08:38 PM

91 posts, read 311,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Future View Post
I've lived in NY all my life, but NYC has always been a place to play, not live. Good luck. If you are miserable, you should move. It wont get better.
I think this is an excellent way to sum it up. When I was younger and single, NYC was the place to be. But once you are married and have children and other bills to pay, the allure fades.

Good place to live while having fun, not a great place to live long term with a family.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:39 PM

756 posts, read 2,278,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
^^^^ Yes to that! Time Out NY Kids always has a ton of inexpensive or free stuff for you to bring kids to on weekends.
I didn't include the link in my first post, so: NYC Kids Events Calendar & Things to Do - Time Out New York Kids

I don't even have kids yet and I think a lot of that stuff sounds really fun. Lots of great children's theaters, movie screenings, festivals, etc., and mostly free!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:39 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,325 times
Key to happiness in NYC is to find great schools, activities, doctors, playgrounds, stores, etc in your neighborhood. Rather than move to Chelsea, can you find a good preschool close to home? Before moving, research what the great public elementary schools are. This is crucial.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:51 AM

12 posts, read 18,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I think your main problem is you have 3 kids under 3 years old. That in its self was your first mistake.
OMG you have NO idea!

Old 01-26-2011, 07:58 AM

12 posts, read 18,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMM View Post
How can you rent a 3br on Upper West Side and not have a lot of money? )
I have no idea. We found a 3 bedroom apt for $2195/mo. We live on $100k/yr right now. Where I come from that's a ton of money but here in the city, not so much. It helps that we rarely eat out - I cook everything and can easily keep the grocery bill to about $400/mo. And it's way 'upper.' We're in the 100s. And it's a 4th floor walk up.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:02 AM

468 posts, read 1,337,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
Also, you say you moved here from D.C., yet you're complaining about the cold. D.C. is pretty damn cold too.
Myself being a DC native, something about her story does not add up.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:04 AM

468 posts, read 1,337,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilliansmitty View Post
I have no idea. We found a 3 bedroom apt for $2195/mo. We live on $100k/yr right now. Where I come from that's a ton of money but here in the city, not so much. It helps that we rarely eat out - I cook everything and can easily keep the grocery bill to about $400/mo. And it's way 'upper.' We're in the 100s. And it's a 4th floor walk up.
I am born and raised in DC.

You said earlier that you are from DC.

Where in DC are you from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: