Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 12:15 PM

134 posts, read 126,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetBAller85 View Post
pro's

majority of people non judgemental and dont care what you do or how you look, this is a big one, every where else i go i feel like people are looking at me
I find this claim to be inaccurate, especially when you get into the outer boroughs where the real NYers live. I have been into Brooklyn and Queens and the locals there could just tell I wasn't from there.Apparently I dress like a southern belle (pearls, sundresses etc) they asked about it and everyone stared at me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 12:21 PM

43,610 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeltCrystal View Post
I find this claim to be inaccurate, especially when you get into the outer boroughs where the real NYers live. I have been into Brooklyn and Queens and the locals there could just tell I wasn't from there.Apparently I dress like a southern belle (pearls, sundresses etc) they asked about it and everyone stared at me.
I guess it must dependent on which neighborhood/s you were in.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:01 AM

26 posts, read 70,039 times
Pros:
Walkability - Plus extensive 24h subway system.
Convenience - Grocery stores etc. open 24h. You can get pretty much anything anytime of day.
Excitment - So many things to do, i'm never bored.
Architecture - Just amazing.
Food - As a strict vegetarian, there are so many varieties and options. Great food in nyc.

Cons:
Air - Air quality is discusting.
Affordability - Everything is expensive. Especially real estate.
Tourists - Are great for the economy, i'm sorry but they are just a nuisance.
Crowds - Anything you want to do, many many others want to do it too.
Roaches/Budbugs - Enough said.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:11 AM

239 posts, read 724,025 times
Thanks!

Very good Info in this thread.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:01 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeltCrystal View Post
I guess they find southern women attractive. I sure do!

Old 02-11-2011, 05:27 AM

442 posts, read 1,296,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I guess they find southern women attractive. I sure do!
word

Old 02-11-2011, 09:15 AM

194 posts, read 1,202,534 times
Pros
1. History - alot of people dont appreciate it but for someone whos family came here around 1900 and were policemen, firemen, and worked construction to me its awesome.
2. Food - you can eat pretty much anything you want, you can even find great bbq (coming from the south I am a bbq purist)
3. Public Transportation - you can get by just fine without a car in most of the city, maybe even all depending on where you work. Even if you live in the suburbs.
4. Something to do all the time/4am closing time - with a lil effort you can find all kinds of things to do just about any day, and even though I only go out 2-3 times a month, its nice that the bars are open til 4am as I usually dont get out til 10-11
5. 4 beautiful seasons

Cons
1. Housing is retarded expensive
2. Transportation - getting crappier and more expensive by the day, atleast let the graff writers come back so i have something read when my train goes local at 7pm
3. Waiting for said transportation in a subway tunnel in August, it is what it is and I don't expect anythin to be done about I just wish I didnt have to wait so long for that train.
4. Car ownership - insurance is robbery, parking sucks almost anywhere, and the roads are always in terrible shape and they take 7 years to work on them
5. Taxes - They're a ton of money already and they still don't have enough.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:58 AM

104 posts, read 99,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwuan View Post
Hey I just would like to know from you guys in your opinion what do you think are 5 Pros and 5 Cons of NYC?
Thank you for posting this thread. I wanted to know as well.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:56 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,545,128 times
Pros
- Excellent and varied dining options
- World-class medical care
- Abundant cultural activities (art, dance, film, music, interesting courses at multiple universities/colleges/specialty schools, etc.)
- Excellent shopping, from high end to budget
- Round-the-clock public transportation

Cons
- High cost of living
- Housing quality is generally low, unless you're considering higher-end properties. Compared to the rest of the country, you get very little for your money.
- Dirty streets
- Rude people
- Parking is generally difficult

Old 02-11-2011, 02:02 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,160,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotormanMike View Post
My opinion :

5 pro's -

1) Small grocery stores open 24/7. You can run out and grab something you need quick any time you want.
2) 24/7 Transit System.
3) There is always something to do if you want to - bars , museums , pro sports teams and arenas. If you choose to live an active lifestyle here , you will never be bored.
4) The experience NYC life provides in learning to deal with all types of people. Being born and raised in the city you really can go anywhere in the country or world and handle yourself well.
5) The variety of neighborhoods the city offers. We have it all here from slums to skyscrapers.

5 con's -
1) City government is too far politically left for me (for others this would be a plus or big plus - but not for me. My #1 issue with this is the fanatical gun control.)
2) Alternate side parking and parking in general.
3) City is way too loud and noisy.
4) The rents are way to high , even for apartments in poor condition. Even rent stabilizibed apartments are often outrageously expensive.
5) Traffic is really bad throughout the day , even from way before and after 'rush hours'. Highway construction at night and on weekends creates disasters even worse than rush hour traffic , most of the time.
Ha Ha The Rent is too Damn High
(sorry couldn't resist)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City