Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:40 AM
grant516

n/a posts

Advertisements

Since a good 25% of the posts on here are out-of-towner's looking for advice or information on moving into New York, is it possible there is a subforum of this main forum for those type of posts and a sticky directing it?

Even though there is already a sticky, and the same common questions are asked all the time- this could give newcomers an opportunity to browse similar posts all in one place, and at the same time filter the rest of the forum a bit better for those making conversations about what's happening between those here IN New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 10:11 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
I love it when people spell really badly and are clearly very uneducated and then think they can just come up and boom, make a life.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:26 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
My favorites are the 15 year olds who are "so in love" and going to work minimum wage jobs because they just NEED to be here. They NEED to. No where else. Doesn't matter that they haven ever been here. Everything on television is 100% true and if you move here amazing things will happen.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:51 AM

756 posts, read 2,279,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
My favorites are the 15 year olds who are "so in love" and going to work minimum wage jobs because they just NEED to be here. They NEED to. No where else. Doesn't matter that they haven ever been here. Everything on television is 100% true and if you move here amazing things will happen.
Are you referencing a specific poster? LOL

Old 01-25-2011, 11:00 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,812,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I love it when people spell really badly and are clearly very uneducated and then think they can just come up and boom, make a life.
There are sooooo many people that fit that description that post here.
Why do people think they can figure out how to make it here just by getting advice from an internet forum?
I mean---I L O V E this site----but I wouldn't make a life changing move because of something I read here.

Is there GOOD info here?
Hell yeah!
TONS of good info for those that don't live here.

Is NYC right for YOU?
How the heck are we supposed to know?

ARGHHHH!

Old 01-25-2011, 11:07 AM

756 posts, read 2,279,127 times
I don't mind when people post who very clearly have a plan (e.g., moving here for job relocation and just want information about what neighborhoods might fit their budget), but I hate it when people ask what college majors will allow them to live here, or what they need to do to "make it" here. Or posters who, when they get a real answer like "get an education, work hard and save your money," refute that and tell us we're all wrong 'cause, you know, "they're going to make it!"

Old 01-25-2011, 12:11 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Since a good 25% of the posts on here are out-of-towner's looking for advice or information on moving into New York, is it possible there is a subforum of this main forum for those type of posts and a sticky directing it?

Even though there is already a sticky, and the same common questions are asked all the time- this could give newcomers an opportunity to browse similar posts all in one place, and at the same time filter the rest of the forum a bit better for those making conversations about what's happening between those here IN New York.
Just read the arn sticky. Reading one sticky is easier than going to a subforum. And on the city forum you might justpick up on abstract information that can help you.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:44 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
Another fav of mine is the person who says "I am moving to nyc from xxx other city and I want a neighborhood that is exactly the same and at next to nothing. Also there can never have been a crime committed with in 40 miles and it needs to be completely of my ethnic background because if it's not it means that not one single other person of my enthenticity lives there"

Old 01-25-2011, 08:01 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post

It is human nature to not use the "search" function.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-25-2011, 09:53 PM
grant516

n/a posts
I'm certain it isn't going to filter everything, but when the top of the forum, has a little folder icon that says "Discussion on Moving to New York City"; certainly would cut down on sorting through a lot of repetitive posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: