Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:31 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
Yeah, stay in Texas.
lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 02:42 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
This city isn't very kind to people with "modest aspirations," but it does reward people with outlandish aspirations. If you move here, shoot for a great job, not a modest one. Look for jobs that, even if you don't get them, are worth the effort pursuing. In the end, it's aspiration that sustains you in New York, not adventure. If you're living in Queens and doing clerical work, the adventure wears off very quickly. On the other hand, if you're working your way up in New York urban planning organizations (the most elite and competitive in the country), that aspiration can sustain you.

If you stay in Texas, you should move to Austin sooner rather than later. In your field, getting a great job means paying your dues with years in a low-paying position. However, you want to be in place for a big opening when it arrives. Austin is full of 20-somethings working their way up. They're not going make room for you when you're a 30-something and want to move to Austin (unless you have some outstanding credits from elsewhere). If you're going to pay dues, make sure they're in the local currency.

I recently discovered Idealist.org (idealist.org). It lists jobs in non-profits and government agencies (the people who are interested in Geography majors). It might be worth a look.

Last edited by tpk-nyc; 01-27-2011 at 02:50 PM..

Old 01-28-2011, 07:18 AM

6 posts, read 15,942 times
Turtle, your budget breakdown was exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to get. Thanks for taking the time to give me something so detailed! And tpk, you're right about the many years required (locally spent) to get some street cred in planning. I lived in Austin for five years, but had to leave to find a job that remotely relates to my field. Believe me, as soon as I can, I'm going back.

Maybe this whole "moving to NYC" thing is symptomatic of a deep-residing Austin homesickness more than anything else. Maybe not. Either way, thank you all for your advice!

p.s. I'll be checking out Idealist.org as well. Good call.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:55 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
you do GIS and enviro work and want to get out of Texas.

You should consider DC. The govt, or a contractor. lots of demand for GIS folks, AFAICT. Esp with good quant backgrounds.

Cheaper than NYC, but higher salaries than small town in Texas. Rule of thumb, you want to make 50k to pay on an a 50k student loan. Should be almost as easy to do that in DC with your background as in NYC, with lower COL.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:13 PM

326 posts, read 813,809 times
ummm stay in texas just go to nyc to visit... isnt worth the hassle if you plan on coming back to texas...

Old 02-25-2011, 02:18 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I am not sure whether she is a little feather or little pen...I suspect the former since she is from Texas.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:11 AM

4 posts, read 15,426 times
Turtlecreek's budget assumes that you require a certain lifestyle. If you're willing to live with craigslist roommates and maybe not in your favorite part of Queens, you can feasibly pay $500 in rent/utilities. You don't need to take cabs. Really. You don't need to go to the movies once a week. Really.

I make less than 20k and get by fine (in Queens) but admittedly it would be more difficult with your loan burden. It's important to realize that NYC rent prices can be as cheap as anywhere if you're flexible about where you'd be willing to live and how, and that not having to pay for a car more than pays for your subway card.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:04 PM

80 posts, read 400,283 times
if you don't:
use smartphones
use cable tv
eat out
own a car
mind sharing an apartment

you are in good shape, under 20k is doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City