Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 04:10 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,764,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSI View Post
wait so you are not black?
Not the last time I looked. Polish, Italian and English but I have full lips so a DNA test might detect something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 04:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,105,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I agree that black New Yorkers sound different from Southern blacks but their speech patterns have a tendency to be the same. Also, black New Yorkers have picked up some pronunciations that are clearly the New York accent. Great ex. Long Island. Black New Yorkers say "Lawn Allan" which is similar to our "Lawn Guyland."
I think that has more to do with the non-rhotic speech patterns that migrated from the south along with the waves of migrant blacks (the south used to be much more non-rhotic than it is now) than an adaptation of New York speech patterns. Even in Chicago, where whites speak with one of the most rhotic accents in the English-speaking world, blacks still speak with a non-rhotic accent. The front of a white Chicagoan's house has a porrrrch. A black Chicagoan's house, on the other hand, has a po-utch.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I think that has more to do with the non-rhotic speech patterns that migrated from the south along with the waves of migrant blacks (the south used to be much more non-rhotic than it is now) than an adaptation of New York speech patterns. Even in Chicago, where whites speak with one of the most rhotic accents in the English-speaking world, blacks still speak with a non-rhotic accent. The front of a white Chicagoan's house has a porrrrch. A black Chicagoan's house, on the other hand, has a po-utch.
Well, I tried to find a common thread between our accents. Maybe you can help. KONY refuses to post anything that will corroborate his statement that Black New Yorkers have an accent that has more in common with the New York accent than the Southern accent. Maybe you can post something to legitimize this statement. Because one makes a statement doesn't make it so.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:13 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,105,765 times
Well I'm not going to dig up any scholarly papers on it or anything, but from my own perception I can distinguish a typical black New Yorker from a typical white New Yorker by the way the speak. It's not politically correct to say that and it's bound to get some people's hackles up, but oh well.

I do think blacks and whites in New York sound more alike than in any other northern city because the accents are related. In the upper Midwest the differences in accents/pronunciations between black and white are quite stark.

Last edited by Drover; 02-05-2011 at 05:24 PM..

Old 02-05-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well I'm not going to dig up any scholarly papers on it or anything, but from my own perception I can distinguish a typical black New Yorker from a typical white New Yorker by the way the speak. It's not politically correct to say that and it's bound to get some people's hackles up, but oh well.

I do think blacks and whites in New York sound more alike than in any other northern city because the accents are related. In the upper Midwest the differences in accents/pronunciations between black and white are quite stark.
I don't agree with that statement if you include Canadian cities. Blacks and whites there sound exactly the same with the exception of Nova Scotia and immigrant blacks.

I agree certain things like cutting off the end of words is common in both AAVE and the many N. Eastern accents.

To say White New Yorkers and Black New Yorkers sound more alike as compared to Black New Yorkers sounding nothing like Southern blacks is a laugh.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:54 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,086,483 times
Quote:

To say White New Yorkers and Black New Yorkers sound more alike as compared to Black New Yorkers sounding nothing like Southern blacks is a laugh.
whoever said this

Old 02-12-2011, 09:09 AM

631 posts, read 1,071,562 times
Here's the right way of saying the words 'park' and 'dark'.

Here's the right way of saying the word 'here'.

An ideal non-rhotic pronunciation imo.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Another article about the differences between AAVE and the traditional NY accent.
Linguistics 201: The Dialects of American English
Here's the quote off of that article.
Unlike many other American regional dialects, New England speech was not affected significantly by any non-English language.

That's why I like it.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:47 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,427,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
Here's the right way of saying the words
'park' and 'dark'.

Here's the right way of saying the word
'here'.

An ideal non-rhotic pronunciation imo.
The Beatles dialect, Merseyside, is a bit stigmatized in England. They don't have the strongest of Mersyside accents but it is definitely different from "standard" British English. Hard to hear when they sing.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The Beatles dialect, Merseyside, is a bit stigmatized in England. They don't have the strongest of Mersyside accents but it is definitely different from "standard" British English. Hard to hear when they sing.
Yeah, I know they sound a bit nasal when they speak. I only meant their attitude towards the R letter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City