Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 01:24 PM

171 posts, read 305,110 times

Advertisements

anyone who thinks southern born and raised blacks have the same accent as NY born and raised blacks has obviously not spent any time at all in the south.
The NY AA accent is WAY different, the southern AA accent was born out of gulla and it is steeped in generations old tradition.
the two sound NOTHING alike, not even close by a long shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 01:29 PM

171 posts, read 305,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americasman View Post
I grew up in Westchester, my father is from Brooklyn. I have some variation of a NY accent. I only notice it on occasion. And if I am around someone else from NY then for some reason it comes out more.
same here, Father and his mother/father from BK, mom and her mother/father from LI, im from LI but lived in either Charleston SC,BK or Manhattan most of my adult life. I have a weird hybrid thing going on but when im around other native Brooklynites or islanders and i've had a few beers it comes on real strong..haha
Also when i get angry and have to yell at someone it comes out just as strong.
In daily speak however, there is no major distinction.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:48 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard cycle View Post
anyone who thinks southern born and raised blacks have the same accent as NY born and raised blacks has obviously not spent any time at all in the south.
The NY AA accent is WAY different, the southern AA accent was born out of gulla and it is steeped in generations old tradition.
the two sound NOTHING alike, not even close by a long shot.
The accent for AA new yorkers are much different from AA south however I still hear AA New Yorkers use southern slang and syntax aswell as some putting drawl with pronouncing words.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:19 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,087,610 times
If you ask a native New Yorker to say "there's a flaw in the floor" will he say "there's a floor in the flaw"?

Old 06-03-2012, 08:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
If you ask a native New Yorker to say "there's a flaw in the floor" will he say "there's a floor in the flaw"?
Yikes!

Those two words sound very similar to me.

Old 08-18-2020, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 437 times
Most blacks in NY don't seem like real African Americans. Many of them, if not all, are immigrants, or 2nd generation black Americans from Jamaica, Haiti, or Africa. The African American accent is not one that anyone can pick up. You listen to Godrey the comedian, child of immigrants cannot do the African American accent. This is why NY blacks sound nothing like Alabama blacks, who speak with more of a standard African American accent. Denzel Washington has a very obvious NY accent. 21 Savage, the British rapper who grew up in America also does not sound authentically African American no matter how hard he tries
The NY accent is fading from NYC because it's is filled with foreigners. If you go into the suburbs (ie Long Island), you'll hear a lot of NY accents especially amongst ethnic folks like Polish, Italian, Jewish, etc.
There's a guy on youtube by the name of Joey Salads. His age in 20-30, and he has a very thick NY accent. He is Italian but looks Arab.
A lot of non ethnic privaleged white people in Manhattan don't speak with the accent like Cynthia Nixon, Betty Gilpin, and Mary Stuart Masterson,

Old 08-18-2020, 11:54 PM

565 posts, read 361,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COVID View Post
Most blacks in NY don't seem like real African Americans. Many of them, if not all, are immigrants, or 2nd generation black Americans from Jamaica, Haiti, or Africa. The African American accent is not one that anyone can pick up. You listen to Godrey the comedian, child of immigrants cannot do the African American accent. This is why NY blacks sound nothing like Alabama blacks, who speak with more of a standard African American accent. Denzel Washington has a very obvious NY accent. 21 Savage, the British rapper who grew up in America also does not sound authentically African American no matter how hard he tries
The NY accent is fading from NYC because it's is filled with foreigners. If you go into the suburbs (ie Long Island), you'll hear a lot of NY accents especially amongst ethnic folks like Polish, Italian, Jewish, etc.
There's a guy on youtube by the name of Joey Salads. His age in 20-30, and he has a very thick NY accent. He is Italian but looks Arab.
A lot of non ethnic privaleged white people in Manhattan don't speak with the accent like Cynthia Nixon, Betty Gilpin, and Mary Stuart Masterson,
The dying classic NYC accent, regardless of race, is just another in a long list of reasons the city has lost its old school charm and character.

Best way to insult a gentrifier who claims NYC, just ask them where is your NYC accent? Will put them in a rage.

I spent 25 years as a corporate hack in Manhattan. I learned quickly that I needed to hide my Queens accent in order to move up the ladder. It used to enrage me in the late 90s early 00s watching corporate yuppies I worked with from CT and places beyond claim NYC...yet have no accent whatsoever. As I got older and moved into higher positions, I let my accent flow again and would mock all and any wannabe about their transient ways. Eventually it cost me my career and job. I stopped playing along.

So much for my white ethnic Queens privilege!

Old 08-19-2020, 05:39 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,681,842 times
I have to tell you, I am also from Queens and I worked for one of the country's most successful (and richest) real estate developers. Literally everyone in the office had a thick NY accent and so did he, the developer. I am PROUD of my accent and would nevah not tawk the way I do.

Donald Trump became President... and he has the accent lol. Never ever change it.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:25 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,423,637 times
NY accents have a lot to do with social classism. I am born and raised in NYC but never developed a NY accent. Nobody in my family had one either. The closest I get is saying " Yo wus up" or giving someone a Bronx Cheer every now and then.

Educational level also has something to do with it.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:28 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,894,927 times
As soon as you get away from high tax, dangerous NYC, your accent magically disappears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City