Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 02:50 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
The whole concept of AAVE is ignorant outdated the same as anyone who believes it. Like a poster mentioned in another topic, blacks are just as diverse and varied as any other race. AAVE is not even something that is thought about or talked about in the black community. Blacks never got the memo that there is supposedly shared vernacular amongst the tens of millions of them. The s.)t is completely stupid
Why are you dismissing it and trying to own the accent of Italians, Jews and the Irish. Are you that ashamed of it? The accent has some amazing historical roots and to think it no longer matters and to disown it is ignorant. Majority of blacks clearly have a common speech pattern. The internet and libraries are filled with books and articles about it. Rather than dismiss it, why don't you learn about it and understand it.? That's what these forums are about. I'd be happy to post many more websites on the subject. Sadly. I see you still haven't posted not one website on blacks with the New York accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 02:53 PM

110 posts, read 219,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Why are you dismissing it and trying to own the accent of Italians, Jews and the Irish. Are you that ashamed of it? The accent has some amazing historical roots and to think it no longer matters and to disown it is ignorant. Majority of blacks clearly have a common speech pattern. The internet and libraries are filled with books and articles about it. Rather than dismiss it, why don't you learn about it and understand it.? That's what these forums are about. I'd be happy to post many more websites on the subject. Sadly. I see you still haven't posted not one website on blacks with the New York accent.
seriously though I am inclined to think these concepts were invented by white NYU students who told the blacks they were speaking "AAVE". I really doubt blacks themselves were conscious of this stuff, at least until some kind of institution slapped a new label on the way they were speaking, but I am white so maybe a black here could confirm this.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSI View Post
Hahaha I had no idea they came up with all these fancy terms for the way Blacks speak. Seriously who comes up with these terms anyway?

LOL Where I come from when we get off the phone with somebody and somebody asks "Who did you talk to" we would usually say "He sounded like a black guy". But maybe in park slope they say "He was speaking African American Vernacular English"...

signed

-dumb ignorant Staten Island white man living in brooklyn with a closed mind and a lack of greater cosmopolitan understanding.
LOL! That was my point. This guy (KONY) thinks the average black in New York has the NY accent. You know when a black person is talking they speak differently than other New Yorkers. They might sound different to each other but to other New Yorkers, "he sounded like a black guy." I have a typical New York accent and the only black person I ever heard that has come close to having the same accent is Charles Rangel.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
seriously though I am inclined to think these concepts were invented by white NYU students who told the blacks they were speaking "AAVE". I really doubt blacks themselves were conscious of this stuff, at least until some kind of institution slapped a new label on the way they were speaking, but I am white so maybe a black here could confirm this.
Actually there are volumes on the subject. Mostly by black scholars. Do you really think many whites are going to take the time to understand the speech pattern of blacks? It's seen as low brow and the way KONY is taking to the subject, I would imagine to some blacks, an embarassment to the way they articulate words. He feels better owning up to my Joe Schmoe accent.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:12 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
LOL! That was my point. This guy (KONY) thinks the average black in New York has the NY accent. You know when a black person is talking they speak differently than other New Yorkers. They might sound different to each other but to other New Yorkers, "he sounded like a black guy." I have a typical New York accent and the only black person I ever heard that has come close to having the same accent is Charles Rangel.
Different ethnicities speak in different tones. Just like a black guy can tell if their speaking to a white guy. Black ppl across the board speak with a different tone and flavor from whites

I never said blacks sound just like italians,jews etc. Blacks have their own(version) NEW YORK accent that is heavily influenced by those accents. A black from alabama sounds nothing like a black from the bronx. What part of this do you not understand?

Old 02-05-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Actually there are volumes on the subject. Mostly by black scholars. Do you really think many whites are going to take the time to understand the speech pattern of blacks?

Uh yeah I do, because in my life I have met all kinds of white people in who can't tell you a thing about their own ancestors, who are obsessed in studying other cultures like the blacks, chinese or whatever. In the neighborhood I grew up in there was a strong Italian identity so it really was uncommon there, but across the water around NYU you can find all kinds of college professors and others who love talking about such concepts. Usually these people come from a kind of anglo saxon, middle american microwave meals in minutes culture who study these things. So anything is exotic and interesting to them.

In any case I think many new york blacks speak in a way that is different from the white new yorkers but you can tell they are new york blacks because they talk in a way that has an influence of the other new yorkers.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Uh yeah I do, because in my life I have met all kinds of white people in who can't tell you a thing about their own ancestors, who are obsessed in studying other cultures like the blacks, chinese or whatever. In the neighborhood I grew up in there was a strong Italian identity so it really was uncommon there, but across the water around NYU you can find all kinds of college professors and others who love talking about such concepts. Usually these people come from a kind of anglo saxon, middle american microwave meals in minutes culture who study these things. So anything is exotic and interesting to them.

In any case I think many new york blacks speak in a way that is different from the white new yorkers but you can tell they are new york blacks because they talk in a way that has an influence of the other new yorkers.

I agree. I have immersed myself in other ethnic groups. Mostly to get with the ladies. Off subject, Indian women are the most evasive.

I agree that black New Yorkers sound different from Southern blacks but their speech patterns have a tendency to be the same. Also, black New Yorkers have picked up some pronunciations that are clearly the New York accent. Great ex. Long Island. Black New Yorkers say "Lawn Allan" which is similar to our "Lawn Guyland."

Old 02-05-2011, 03:52 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
Wow, I see that we're talking about it here too!

Old 02-05-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Wow, I see that we're talking about it here too!
It started here and someone started a new more AA based thread on the same subject matter.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I agree. I have immersed myself in other ethnic groups. Mostly to get with the ladies. Off subject, Indian women are the most evasive.

I agree that black New Yorkers sound different from Southern blacks but their speech patterns have a tendency to be the same. Also, black New Yorkers have picked up some pronunciations that are clearly the New York accent. Great ex. Long Island. Black New Yorkers say "Lawn Allan" which is similar to our "Lawn Guyland."
wait so you are not black?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City