Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 07:55 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneBKLYN View Post
The hood is refreshing sign that New York isn't COMPLETELY over-run with hipsters.

Today I was on the N train, and adjacent from me was a group of young hipster homosexuals, who were talking about getting 80 dollar shirts for 60 dollars, and getting on a flight to meet their friends in Vegas, then going to LA for photoshoots, or something along those lines.
I had this unbelievable urge to grab one of them and break their face, so I stepped off the train and took the next one.

Really? Have you seen MTV with rich Black/Latino kids talking about 500$ sneakers and 40k nights at the club. ****, I wish I could roll like that.

Meeting friends in Vegas? LA photoshoots. If I was that sexy, I'd have like 200 lovechildren.

Maybe you need to stop being a hater and start being a player.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 08:14 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
I don't think that you know much about newark, brownsville is a walk in the park compared to most of newark.
A buddy of mine makes big $$ running a security service that makes burglar alarm runs because newark PD just doesn't have the man power to respond to calls with such low priority, unless you are oozing blood you probably wouldn't see any response from them
I actually had an opportunity to stay in Newark in the 1990's. Not to mention I travel to the city frequently. The worst areas in Newark are no worse then the worst areas in NYC. These days though a lot of killings in that city. It's between drug dealers and gang members competeing for whats left. Not to mention an increase in petty dispute related killings over the years. Newarks biggest problem is an undermanned police force. Oh and pretty much the whole city is a ghetto and that is why the city rate is so high.

Is it like Bed-stuy in 91'? No way, Newark back in 91' was like Bed-stuy in 91'. Crack epidmeic. The Central Ward today is a lot like Brownsville, Brooklyn in terms of crime. Well less stuff going on since the projects have been torn down (most of them). I think East NY is a better comparison, but a little more spread out.

I know what i'm talking about.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:49 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
I actually had an opportunity to stay in Newark in the 1990's. Not to mention I travel to the city frequently. The worst areas in Newark are no worse then the worst areas in NYC. These days though a lot of killings in that city. It's between drug dealers and gang members competeing for whats left. Not to mention an increase in petty dispute related killings over the years. Newarks biggest problem is an undermanned police force. Oh and pretty much the whole city is a ghetto and that is why the city rate is so high.

Is it like Bed-stuy in 91'? No way, Newark back in 91' was like Bed-stuy in 91'. Crack epidmeic. The Central Ward today is a lot like Brownsville, Brooklyn in terms of crime. Well less stuff going on since the projects have been torn down (most of them). I think East NY is a better comparison, but a little more spread out.

I know what i'm talking about.
while you might have excellent insights to many parts of NYC, you don't have the same expertise when it comes to Newark. Most of Newark is comparable to mott haven or east NY, or the rockaways.

your short visit to newark really doesn't qualify you to be an expert.

there is more crime in newark than in any precinct in NYC

Old 07-22-2007, 06:51 AM

319 posts, read 493,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
Your BSing on that last statement. If you really got off the train because of a few yuppies, then you have issues. Or do you mean that you waited for the stop to get on the next car?

Hope it's the latter...
This train was already in Brooklyn. I would understand seeing them in Manhattan, but I have no clue as to what business they had in Brooklyn.

I had an uncontrollable urge to knock them out as they were talking with their gay lisps, ON DEKALB AVENUE, mind you, so I took a deep breath, walked off the train, and took the next one home.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
while you might have excellent insights to many parts of NYC, you don't have the same expertise when it comes to Newark. Most of Newark is comparable to mott haven or east NY, or the rockaways.

your short visit to newark really doesn't qualify you to be an expert.

there is more crime in newark than in any precinct in NYC
So then let me prove my point. Below are crime stats for neighborhoods mentioned. In comparison to Newarks worst area, although crime is rampid throughout every precinct in Newark, NJ. The Central Ward contains areas such as the Brick Towers housing project and covers the smallest distance among Newark police precincts.

----

Central Ward, Newark. 4th Precinct. (56,765, 3.4 Square Miles):

Murder: 10
Rape: 8
Robbery: 144
Assualt: 151
Burg: 134

STATS AS OF 7/1/07

-------

East NY, Brooklyn (173,198, 5.5 Square Miles) [Most of the population is concentrated into 2 miles. Industry]

Murder: 17
Rape: 25
Robbery: 423
Assualt: 335
Burg: 251

East NY has about the same rate of crime.

Brownsville, Brooklyn (85,343, 1.8 Square Miles)

Murder: 14
Rape: 15
Robbery: 280
Assualt: 298
Burg: 169

Brownsville Brooklyn has a higer rate of overall crime.

Far Rockaway, Queens (63,154, 2.5 Square Miles)

Murder: 2
Rape: 11
Robbery: 72
Assualt: 90
Burg: 48

Far Rockaway has a lower rate of crime.

Mott Haven, Bronx (82,159, 2.8 Square Miles)

Murder: 9
Rape: 17
Robbery: 234
Assualt: 232
Burg: 116

Mott Haven has about the same, slightly higher rate of crime.

Hunts Point, Bronx (46,824, 2.1 Square Miles) [Most of the population lives within inside less then a square mile. Industry]

Murder: 1 (very wierd. was at 9 last year this time. there was a homicide last night though)
Rape: 12
Robbery: 137
Assualt: 175
Burg: 100

Hunts Point has a higher rate of overall crime.

STATS OF 7/15/07

Many of these areas in NYC have slightly higher robbery/felony assualt rates. Most are busier and have more total crime then even Newarks worst precinct. In the end it's really all the same. But no there is not more crime in Newark Precincts in comparison to NYC. NYC has the busiest police precincts in the USA.

I don't like Crime stats because they are not accuarate and bull****ted to the max but this gives you an idea.

Last edited by Hustla718; 07-22-2007 at 05:14 PM..

Old 07-22-2007, 05:23 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
So then let me prove my point. Below are crime stats for neighborhoods mentioned. In comparison to Newarks worst area, although crime is rampid throughout every precinct in Newark, NJ. The Central Ward contains areas such as the Brick Towers housing project and covers the smallest distance among Newark police precincts.

----

Central Ward, Newark

the central ward is not the worst newark has to offer try the 5th district

Old 07-22-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
the central ward is not the worst newark has to offer try the 5th district
I say the Central Ward (BRICK TOWERS/SETH BOYDEN, NUF SAID) but all of Newark is high crime. All the precincts. You get the idea. The 4th precinct does have slightly more crime on paper then the 5th though, so just subtract a few off every category of you want the 5th. The same though really.

Precincts like the 75, 44, 46, ect in NYC are still known as the busiest precincts in the USA. Most total crime. But besides that not much of a difference.

Last edited by Hustla718; 07-22-2007 at 05:42 PM..

Old 07-22-2007, 05:36 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,863 times
LOL, live from The Rant, it's Hustla718.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:10 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,389 times
I have posted it before and here it is again. The crime stats in those areas are not accurate because many violent crimes go unreported. Many many crimes!!!!! People who live outside of NYC are silly enough to look at stats and believe that they are proof that crime has left the city in a massive way. What is everybody else's excuse?

With all the underreporting Newark could indeed have the edge. When you consider you are talking about a fairly small area that seems to have an invisible wall around it. But these areas are similar enough that the differences are probably minute.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
I have posted it before and here it is again. The crime stats in those areas are not accurate because many violent crimes go unreported. Many many crimes!!!!! People who live outside of NYC are silly enough to look at stats and believe that they are proof that crime has left the city in a massive way. What is everybody else's excuse?

With all the underreporting Newark could indeed have the edge. When you consider you are talking about a fairly small area that seems to have an invisible wall around it. But these areas are similar enough that the differences are probably minute.
Newark does have a higher rate of crime then NYC. The whole damn city of Newark has serious issues with crime. You really have to look for good pockets.

On the other hand, NYC has neighborhoods just as bad as those in Newark. They just take up less of the city. A small percentage compared to Newark. That is why NYC has a low citywide crime rate.

And yes, stats are bull. Recently a study was done which discovered only 40% of crimes are reported nationwide. When it comes to urban areas with large poor Black/Latino concentrations like Newark and NYC, think more 20%. Stop snitching mentality in high crime communities, immigrants afraid to report, people with no hope/trust for police.

There is also downgrading, fudgeing stats. For those who don't belive me here is NYPD's own statement on it:

The Trouble with Compstat

You just have to laugh at the idiots who think areas like Bushwick are HOT. Yeah they are hot alright, but not in a real estate sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City