Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 05:06 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,328 times

Advertisements

Bloomberg justified running for a third term by saying the financial crisis demanded his steady hand and business experience.

I guess knowledge and experience don't apply to teachers. Little Nepoleon is a world class hypocrite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 05:17 PM

248 posts, read 873,042 times
I honestly meant my comment with no snark...my own husband asked me on our first date how Bloomberg could not be liked..he's a bright businessman...fine enough...I do find his behavior toward this like a temper tantrum...and also a bit short sighted-won't these newer teachers eventually get older and cost the city more money than they do now? I can ALMOST understand changing pension rules for FUTURE teachers, but pay raises would need to be in order so that 401Ks/403b's could be funded through salary like in the private sector...but then again, it's the "private" sector for a reason...

One additional thought...it's easy sometimes to judge others when you haven't walked an inch in their shoes...

Old 03-03-2011, 05:28 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Bloomberg's agenda is to eliminate as many veteran teachers as quickly as possible,preferably before they can get any retirement and replace them with newbies making the minimum salary.He could care less about the NYC school system and the kids in it.It's all about feeding his own ego by grabbing power and wielding it like a club.There is no room for debate or disagreement.He is an egomaniacal bully.
If he could care less, that means he does care.

If he could not care less, that means he doesn't care.

(A pet peeve of mine. Carry on.)

Old 03-03-2011, 05:29 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPumpkin View Post
-won't these newer teachers eventually get older and cost the city more money than they do now?

One additional thought...it's easy sometimes to judge others when you haven't walked an inch in their shoes...
No,Bloomberg wants the city to have the authority to get rid of anyone if they are deemed too expensive.In ten years they will just replace them(the current new teachers) with another new crop.... no matter whether they are great teachers.That's the whole point.Keep the schools running with a constant new supply of $35,000/yr teachers.

The people who "really matter' send their kids to private schools anyway so who cares what happens to the public
schools ?

The ruling class is sick and tired of paying to educate the masses.That's the thinking.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:35 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
No,Bloomberg wants the city to have the authority to get rid of anyone if they are deemed too expensive.In ten years they will just replace them with another new crop no matter whether they are great teachers.That's the whole point.Keep the schools running with a constant new supply of 35,000 teachers.

The people who "really matter' send their kids to private schools anyway so who cares what happens to the public schools ? The ruling class is sick and tired of educating the masses.That's the thinking.
How do you KNOW that is what he (Bloomberg) is thinking or what the "ruling class" is plotting?

The rubber rooms are an embarassment. You think that literal GIVEAWAY of salaries for doing nothing for years and years hasn't got anything to do with this?

If anything, if the "ruling class" is sick and tired of educating the masses, you'd think they'd be very sick and tired of SUPPORTING the indigent masses and would be working feverishly to shuffle things around so they could cut off the poor in the housing projects. I think that would be a bigger money-saver than making teaching a revolving door. Please note the rich didn't get that way because they are stupid. First of all, isn't there a high rate of new teachers who do not last anyway in NYC schools? If they made teaching in NYC even more of a revolving door do you think they would get any qualified (as per NYS) candidates to apply? And wouldn't that end up causing more headaches in the end?

PS: What happened to your space bar?

Old 03-03-2011, 05:56 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How do you KNOW that is what he (Bloomberg) is thinking or what the "ruling class" is plotting?

The rubber rooms are an embarassment. You think that literal GIVEAWAY of salaries for doing nothing for years and years hasn't got anything to do with this?

If anything, if the "ruling class" is sick and tired of educating the masses, you'd think they'd be very sick and tired of SUPPORTING the indigent masses and would be working feverishly to shuffle things around so they could cut off the poor in the housing projects. I think that would be a bigger money-saver than making teaching a revolving door. Please note the rich didn't get that way because they are stupid. First of all, isn't there a high rate of new teachers who do not last anyway in NYC schools? If they made teaching in NYC even more of a revolving door do you think they would get any qualified (as per NYS) candidates to apply? And wouldn't that end up causing more headaches in the end?

PS: What happened to your space bar?
I am the first one to agree that the rubber rooms are an embarrassment and most of the people in that category should be long gone.

Unfortunately I have also seen really great older teachers being stripped of their dignity and shoved out the door.

Nobody is arguing that there shouldn't be changes in the system.It's how the changes will be implemented.

I decided to put the space bar on hold until Bloomberg is out of office because I heard he wants to outlaw them.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:38 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,167 times
You should all watch this video,
Changing Educational Paradigms.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:04 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times
I think we are mostly in agreement that LIFO is bad and should be changed. I don't agree however that Bloomberg's agenda is to get rid of Senior teachers...that's a blatant smear tactic and typical union strategy to any change. In the real world, how do you entice people to this profession if in 3 years, regardless of how great they are, they are dismissed solely on their tenure? Don't see a problem here?

He is taking an opportunity to fix something we can all agree is broken, and in the real world, you only have small windows of opportunity to get things done, and this is the opportunity to fix something that is broken and make the system work a little better. I don't agree with all of Bloomberg's initiatives/plans, but I do believe this is a positive, not a negative.

Bluedog I think you are being a bit over the top with your allegations, no doubt fueled by the Union so I will give you leeway. Just remember, it was Bloomberg that greatly increased the paultry salaries of teachers by 43%...why? He also is providing dedicated affordable housing to teachers so that they can afford to work in NYC...why? You can decide why for yourself, but it was the right thing to do....and this is no different.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:39 AM

1,123 posts, read 775,983 times
Quote:
This is really the wisest course.He doesn't see and would never admit that SOME of Bloomberg's policies are doing the opposite of what he thinks.They are making trying to educate kids more difficult and less possible not the other way around.He seems blinded by his Bloomberg love in all matters.

At least sobroguy admits that the whole lay off thing is a scam and that Bloomberg is just using the situation to generate hysteria to try to ram through a goal that he has always had.
Sobro did not admit that, so stop with the strawman.

Both of my parents worked in the NYC school system, I went to the NYC public schools, as do my kids now - and my sister-in-law works for the school system as well, so don't give me this BS about the teacher's union.

Mulgrew and Weingarten are lowlifes, and the sole purpose of the school system is to educate our children - NOT provide jobs for anyone. That first priority is the only one that matters, and anything that interferes with it is intolerable, such as the teacher's union and is obstruction of the functioning of the system.

FWIW, I detest Bloomberg but support his and any efforts to eliminate the teacher's union and their goals of a self-sustaining financial cash machine for themselves.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:42 AM

1,123 posts, read 775,983 times
Quote:
Bloomberg's agenda is to eliminate as many veteran teachers as quickly as possible,preferably before they can get any retirement and replace them with newbies making the minimum salary.He could care less about the NYC school system and the kids in it.It's all about feeding his own ego by grabbing power and wielding it like a club.There is no room for debate or disagreement.He is an egomaniacal bully.
All good talking points right out of the NYSUT bulletin.

Except the public at large, myself included, see right through the teacher's union BS and am disgusted with them, including those disgraceful ads they are running to try to raise my taxes higher to sustain their salaries and benefits.

NY is #1 in spending on schools, but is 34th in results, enough is enough - its time to put all of this money towards the children, and not the teacher's benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City