Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 06:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,700 times

Advertisements

How does someone going about getting some type rental help that has a disability where they can't work because they struggle in all fields math, reading, English, and has a low IQ below 60 not totally mentally challenged, but enough not to understand things? Because that would be me. I have lived with my parents all my life than moved to NC to be with my girl than after 2 years she kicks me out because of real life issues. I can not go back to my parents because it does not feel right. Because I can not support them, and they can't support me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertHarrisontheThird View Post
I would suggest buying a 250cc moped and packing it full with camping gear and just living on government land in what is called dispersed camping: [URL="http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/recreation/recreation_activities/camping.html"]Camping[/URL].

You just have to move every two weeks to another patch of land and stay a certain distance from water.

You can live on government land your entire life, and never have to pay a penny for rent. Get some solar powered gear so you can use your laptop and some water purifying tablets and other gear and you're good to go. Have your family put $100-200 in your bank account every month to replenish food supplies and other things, and that's all you'll need to live a happy life in the wilderness!

This is a perfect solution for using a computer while camping: [url=http://www.meetearl.com/]Earl - Backcountry Survival Tablet[/url]

Hook up an external drive filled with tons of movies and music and pdf books and you will have all the entertainment and mental stimulation you need.

The reason to get a scooter, instead of a van or motorcycle, is that scooters get great gas mileage. 250cc scooters are fast enough to drive legally on highways. You could get one used for under $1k. Read up on how to service it yourself, so you dont have to pay a mechanic to tune it up every 6 months.

Get a GoTenna, so you have free cell service wherever you are: [url=http://www.cnet.com/news/gotenna-creates-cell-network-out-of-thin-air-anywhere-on-earth/]GoTenna creates a cell network out of thin air anywhere on Earth - CNET[/url]

Some other handy things to take with you:

Paracord
Knife (different kinds)
4-season sleeping bag
4-season tent or bat hammock
portable stove and pot
SteriPEN water purifier, and tablets
Folding Solar Power panels: [URL]http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Port-Portable-Foldable-Outdoor-Technology/dp/B00E3OL5U8/[/URL]
Folding chair
led lantern and cree flashlights
Digital Treasures The Soldier Power Supply
Emergency Mylar blankets
Bear Grylls Fire Starter
some bic lighters
Zippo A-Frame hand warmer
leatherman multitool
That's not right...at all because I am not a outdoor person.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,162 times
I'VE LIVED WITH MY BIRTH DEFORMITY/ (POLAND SYNDROME), ALL MY LIFE, NO ONE EVER HELPED ME UNTIL I STARTED FULL-TIME EMPLOYMENT, (SYSTEMS MAINTENANCE TECH) , WHEN I WAS 20, SCHOOL TOOK 2yrs., I'VE ENDURED DISCRIMINATION, PHYSICAL VIOLENCE, POVERTY, SICKNESS, AND, PURE FORMS OF **** LIKE YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE. I'VE HAVE EVEN TRIED SUICIDE OVER THE LOW, DISTURBED VIEWS OF OTHERS, "LIFE SHOULD HAVE A CONSIDERATION FOR LIFE", SADLY LIFE CONCERNS IT'S SELF WITH IT'S SELF, NOT OTHERS, I GUESS?, WAKE UP, BE POSITIVE, MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN YOU'RE LIFE OR SOMEONE ELSE'S, BE BRAVE, HAVE FAITH, TRY HONESTY. ALL THE BEST: JOHN, PLEASE SUPPORT BIRTH DEFECTS.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:46 PM

515 posts, read 871,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoidPersonality View Post
My parents don't rent , they own the house. So they're not rich.
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
This thread just keeps getting better!
I know right? This thread escalated quickly.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:03 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,814,588 times
The original poster could have applied to live in NYCHA apartments. Beyond that they could have contacted HRA or the city department of homeless services. They would have likely placed them in a SRO, or in certain forms of supervised/supportive housing. HRA would pay a portion of the rent and the person's disability check would pay another portion of the rent.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:39 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,564,586 times
Agree with NyWriterdude.

To the OP:

You probably have a therapist or social worker if you are on disability for mental health issues?
Your therapist or social worker can apply for HRA supportive housing in New York City for you on the basis of your diagnosis.
Since you are on disability, you will likely be approved.
There are more opportunities for shared supportive apartments, but there are some studios and 1 bedroom apartments as well.

To everyone else:
I hear you. It is disturbing to see an attitude of entitlement among those receiving disability benefits.
It's not uncommon (not wanting to share an apartment, not wanting to live in a studio, but requiring a 1 bedroom - we see that often as well).
Believe me, the social worker who will be helping the OP obtain supportive housing, will very likely not be able to afford to live alone in NYC (most social workers can't afford that in NYC on a social work salary), and that social worker will be working all his/her life and in the end may receive less income than the OP (including Food stamps, Medicaid, housing, etc.)
Many social workers nowadays are also hired on a fee for service basis and don't even have health insurance, can you believe that? (of course their clients - many of whom don't work/have never worked - almost always have Medicaid or Medicare).

Old 03-02-2015, 08:28 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,814,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Agree with NyWriterdude.

To the OP:

You probably have a therapist or social worker if you are on disability for mental health issues?
Your therapist or social worker can apply for HRA supportive housing in New York City for you on the basis of your diagnosis.
Since you are on disability, you will likely be approved.
There are more opportunities for shared supportive apartments, but there are some studios and 1 bedroom apartments as well.

To everyone else:
I hear you. It is disturbing to see an attitude of entitlement among those receiving disability benefits.
It's not uncommon (not wanting to share an apartment, not wanting to live in a studio, but requiring a 1 bedroom - we see that often as well).
Believe me, the social worker who will be helping the OP obtain supportive housing, will very likely not be able to afford to live alone in NYC (most social workers can't afford that in NYC on a social work salary), and that social worker will be working all his/her life and in the end may receive less income than the OP (including Food stamps, Medicaid, housing, etc.)
Many social workers nowadays are also hired on a fee for service basis and don't even have health insurance, can you believe that? (of course their clients - many of whom don't work/have never worked - almost always have Medicaid or Medicare).
The people who make so little money are not social workers. Social workers have to be licensed and they have a masters of social work.

Caseworkers at some non profits may make as little as 10 dollars an hour, but they are CASEWORKERS, not social workers! The people you're talking about who work per diem again are not social workers.

Btw, caseworkers at HRA have excellent benefits including health insurance, paid holidays, lots of vacation, and pensions.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:25 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,564,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The people who make so little money are not social workers. Social workers have to be licensed and they have a masters of social work.

Caseworkers at some non profits may make as little as 10 dollars an hour, but they are CASEWORKERS, not social workers! The people you're talking about who work per diem again are not social workers.

Btw, caseworkers at HRA have excellent benefits including health insurance, paid holidays, lots of vacation, and pensions.
(Okay, I am not talking about "caseworkers at HRA".
Any social worker at any agency can fill out an HRA housing applicaton for the OP - to obtain supportive housing at a number of agencies in NYC.)

Not all social workers are licensed, although increasingly more (though not all) jobs require a license.
While many social workers have a Master's degree, not all do. There is also a Bachelor's degree in social work (BSW).

Even licensed MSW's, however (social workers with a Master's degree) may have starting salaries in NYC of $40,000/year (occasionally even slightly lower).

As we all know, that is barely a living wage in NYC, and certainly not a professional one.

After we calculate all the benefits many of our (non-working) clients receive (housing for their whole family, disability and/or welfare cash benefits, food stamps for the whole family, Medicaid for the whole family), this can certainly be more than a $40,000/year social work salary!

In addition, many agencies ARE using per diem/fee for service licensed masters level social workers (MSW's) to conduct psychotherapy with clients. (These jobs are without benefits, health insurance, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: