Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 05:47 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poliutox2 View Post
To the majority of posters on this thread: O-M-G! You've got to be kidding!! Most of you have indulged this Long Island peasant in his incessant and transparent rants, while he: A) insults and derides; B) is painfully self-described; and C) banters condescendingly--all in the same breath! And many of you are none the wiser!?!? How sad. This poseur may imagine himself an arbiter of socio-cultural linguistics, and deserves pity; but I smell a cheap knock-off--easily. Ciao.
Trust me, I've noticed this attitude from this particular poster time and time again, in this thread and others. I tried to tell him that his racism is annoying and obvious but he doesn't see it. Eventually you realize that you can't fix what's already broken and just have to correct him before some gullible soul believes what he says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 07:22 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,091,766 times
I personally detected sarcasm in his first sentence

Old 02-08-2011, 11:03 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
i'm born and raised in NYC and have no trace of southern drawl or twang. the way you speak is influenced by what you hear. i watched a lot of tv as a kid in the 70s and my sound is reflective of that. people have always commented that i don't sound like a nyer or a southerner. i have that midwest, newscaster sound. lots of people (black & white) have this sound. as for the comment about y'all and finnin' to ... a lot of that is slang/vernacular, and more of a choice than an actual "accent."
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
It's interesting but I believe that you lack a Southern Drawl and I also imagine your accent to be very close to standard Am. English. The way a person writes in casual writing can sometimes reflect their accent. I know you to be a female African American because you have posted that fact. However from the way you write and also Seventh Floor, no offense but if the two of you never stated the fact that you were black, I would be surprised to find that to be the case. Other posters make it painfully obvious. If Jordan Burreil never stated they he is black from his writing style I would imagine him to be black. K.o.n.y has never posted his ethnic background, at least to my knowledge. From his writing style and venacular usage I imagine him to be black. I'd be shocked to find out they were white.
What is it about my writing that made you think that I could possibly not be black? Is it the grammatical structure & vocabulary? That I don't use hip-hop sounding slang? That's probably more of a reflection of my education and age than my racial/ethnic background. Wouldn't you say?

Old 02-08-2011, 12:15 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,247 times
Quote:
What is it about my writing that made you think that I could possibly not be black? Is it the grammatical structure & vocabulary? That I don't use hip-hop sounding slang? That's probably more of a reflection of my education and age than my racial/ethnic background. Wouldn't you say?
Reminds me of the saying, "I don't 'talk white'. I talk like I've invested $100,000 in my education."

Old 02-08-2011, 12:30 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,389 times
Quote:
Yes. You obvious had an excellent primary education.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poliutox2 View Post
To the majority of posters on this thread: O-M-G! You've got to be kidding!! Most of you have indulged this Long Island peasant in his incessant and transparent rants, while he: A) insults and derides; B) is painfully self-described; and C) banters condescendingly--all in the same breath! And many of you are none the wiser!?!? How sad. This poseur may imagine himself an arbiter of socio-cultural linguistics, and deserves pity; but I smell a cheap knock-off--easily. Ciao.
Wow! on the Long Island boards, I have been accused of being a white on white racist for defending ethnically diverse towns. Which I still stand by the fact that many black towns on LI are not as bad as many white Long Islanders make them to be. Now I don't agree with one thing on the New York boards so I'm being accused of being just a racist. I can't win.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:23 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,213 times
first off, i don't buy into the notion of 'ebonics' at all period. i feel like its like slang and/or cutting off certain words (gangster/gangsta, for example) is being put on us as a whole when VARIOUS races and ethnicities speak like that.

i'll read through the thread a lil more and post my accent but yeah. i also don't buy into the African American vernacular thing. ppl are trying to be slick with that label, IMO. i feel like they need to say what they want to say and stop sugar coating it.

the fact is that a lot of ppl believe that black ppl speak broken english. historically some black ppl have, but there are reasons behind it that never get discussed and we're all put into this category of non english speaking, ignorant, lazy, don't want to learn english type of ppl.

i'm rambling now but thats how i feel. i'll be back in a sec.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:07 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,374 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Yes. You obvious had an excellent primary education.
That, and my parents, and everyone who was around me when I was young, spoke English correctly (and all of those people were black too). Again, how you learn to speak is influenced by what you hear at a very young age.

Now, you may ask why some blacks have a way of speaking that sounds like broken English. Some people hear it at home, and that's what they learn. Others, like me, learned proper English as children, but they begin to mimic what they believe is cool. IMO, the problem with choosing to use poor grammar and syntax over time is that it stunts your overall verbal and writing skills.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
That, and my parents, and everyone who was around me when I was young, spoke English correctly (and all of those people were black too). Again, how you learn to speak is influenced by what you hear at a very young age.

Now, you may ask why some blacks have a way of speaking that sounds like broken English. Some people hear it at home, and that's what they learn. Others, like me, learned proper English as children, but they begin to mimic what they believe is cool. IMO, the problem with choosing to use poor grammar and syntax over time is that it stunts your overall verbal and writing skills.
Couldn't agree more. That's why I pointed out that you had an excellent primary education. Your early education develops much of your verbal skills and accent. I mentioned a friend who is black that spoke with a very middle American standard english accent despite growing up in the projects. His parents were from New Kensington, PA, an integrated country town near Pittsburgh. So, as well as watching a large amount of TV, his parents's Pittsburgh accent influenced the way he spoke.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:38 AM

22 posts, read 33,882 times
I have noticed this as well. I used to live in DC which is a northern city just like NYC, and even some of the blacks there had slight southern accents and some did not, it depended on who you were speaking too. I have met other blacks in NYC who don't have a trace of southern in their accent I guess it has to do with how and who raised you. Also I do not necessarily think southern accents flatter the people in NY or up north in general. There was a professor, who I worked with from Florida who had a very thick southern accent, even thicker than mine and his students would constantly mock him and his accent. I truly felt sorry for that gentleman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City