Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2011, 01:20 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,843,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
IMHO the best singing voices in the world are by black people. White people with the exception of a few sound like nasally minor birds. The best voices on Glee are the heavyset black girl and the pretty Latino chick. Even in music that doesn't require a baritone voice, women like Marian Anderson blows away other white singers.
Some people may make the same comment about Elvis Presly, and Enrico Caruso, having some of the best voices. I don't think exceptionally talented singers belong to one or two groups of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 01:28 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,324,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Why is the different ways that Black people speak across the country use slang such a big deal? Most people when they are in a formal situation know how to drop it, and speak standard American English.
This is actually exactly my point. eek was trying to say the black people speak Ebonics (or whatever you want to call it) because of education and I was saying that, no, people speak a certain way out of CHOICE.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:40 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,755,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
This is only because you don't want to accept that some Black people speak standard American english, and that they speak it most of the time.

I can recognize that their voices belong to Black people, because they sound like the people I grew up with, that are Black. They don't have the same tone as White people I grew up with.
What are you talking about? I have said it in several postings that their are many black people who speak standard english. You only read what you want to read and disregard certain things to make a point. I'm not sure if you said it or someone else, education and upbringing are strong factors on how well you will master the English language.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:40 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,442,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
No offense but not the content of the post but the way you wrote it gave me the impression that you are black. Do you really believe the average black New Yorker sound like the average white New Yorker? I don't and if it isn't one of the terms you mentioned, give me your spin as to what in their accent makes them sound apparently different from other New Yorkers. However, if you truly believe they sound like the average New Yorker we can move on and agree to just disagree.
I truly believe you're a cool guy and you mean no disrespect when you're posting in this thread. However, you tend to revert back to things you've said earlier in the thread, which I thought we've already confirmed.

When you said "Do you really believe the average black New Yorker sound like the average white New Yorker?" what exactly are you trying to convey?

That's like asking "Does a black New Yorker look like a white New Yorker", which in some cases varies based on the individual. You (and some others in this thread) simply can't base your opinions from a few people you've come in contact with, for an entire race of people.

Black/White/Latino New Yorkers sound like New Yorkers. The only difference would be race, which is evident. Everyone is different, yet still the same, and as soon as people realize this fact, America will be a better place. Slang is a term that isn't exclusive for black people. Like I said earlier AAVE is a term created to separate black people in the south with Southern American English What's the difference between the two?

Old 02-11-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
I truly believe you're a cool guy and you mean no disrespect when you're posting in this thread. However, you tend to revert back to things you've said earlier in the thread, which I thought we've already confirmed.

When you said "Do you really believe the average black New Yorker sound like the average white New Yorker?" what exactly are you trying to convey?

That's like asking "Does a black New Yorker look like a white New Yorker", which in some cases varies based on the individual. You (and some others in this thread) simply can't base your opinions from a few people you've come in contact with, for an entire race of people.

Black/White/Latino New Yorkers sound like New Yorkers. The only difference would be race, which is evident. Everyone is different, yet still the same, and as soon as people realize this fact, America will be a better place. Slang is a term that isn't exclusive for black people. Like I said earlier AAVE is a term created to separate black people in the south with Southern American English What's the difference between the two?
I am a cool guy. I'm dating a Dominican chick.
And she's lives in the Bronx. I's got street cred.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:11 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,073,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
an african american SHOULD BE, again, SHOULD BE used to describe somebody with parents from africa and/or somebody that was born in africa that came here and became a citizen.

lol @ the thought of ppl that have never in their lives stepped foot on any part of the continent of africa being called african american.

the vast majority of black americans that came here via the slave trade have no knowledge whatsoever of ANYBODY in their families coming from africa.

what does this mean?

-no coat of arms
-no tribe
-no culture
-no language
-no customs
-no first or last names

etc. that we know of from africa. we have no identity other than being american and our experience as black people that live here. thats it.

realize the amount of cultures within africa...and we can't claim any of them because all those records were either not written down or destroyed and because they separated people that could speak the same language during the slave trade so that they couldn't unite.

so again, foh with that african american stuff. i'd rather be called that than negro like on the census, but it is what it is.

i don't know anybody from africa, i've never been to africa, etc.

i would argue that most black americans without african heritage don't even know anything about some of the cultures in africa.

all we know is that we ended up here from west africa from being packed like sardines on boats.

wow.

can't name a country we're "from," can't name a tribe/culture like igbo, yoruba, fulani, etc., can't name any of the languages within the countries we might have come from, nothing.

kwanzaa is fake as well.

we shouldn't have to be given an identity in the first place.
Every single point u said is exactly how i feel to a tee

The funny thing is that the term "african-american" doesnt even work in the case of someone born in africa and moved to the states. Africa is a continent not a country. Its impossible to be an AFRICAN american.

One can be a somalian-american,a nigerian-american,a ethiopian-american but not a damn AFRICAN american lol. To make it worst the term came from Jesse Jackson

If my ancestors helped build america fir FREE, than black people deserve to be recognized as Americans. Americans that happen to be black lol

On a side note FOH= F@ck out of here(pronounced F@ckouddahere). Its the BLACK NY version of the italian phrase fuggedaboutit. This phrase is only said by black new yorkers.lmao. Get where im going

Old 02-11-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Every single point u said is exactly how i feel to a tee

The funny thing is that the term "african-american" doesnt even work in the case of someone born in africa and moved to the states. Africa is a continent not a country. Its impossible to be an AFRICAN american.

One can be a somalian-american,a nigerian-american,a ethiopian-american but not a damn AFRICAN american lol. To make it worst the term came from Jesse Jackson

If my ancestors helped build america fir FREE, than black people deserve to be recognized as Americans. Americans that happen to be black lol

On a side note FOH= F@ck out of here(pronounced F@ckouddahere). Its the BLACK NY version of the italian phrase fuggedaboutit. This phrase is only said by black new yorkers.lmao. Get where im going
OMG! Did lightning strike the Empire state building? KONY and I agree on something. I also agree a continent as large and as diverse as Africa could have its peoples be lumped into one category is ridiculous. Europe is much smaller and less diverse than Africa but you would never see the same situation for that continent.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:39 PM

These are random comments I hear from New Yorkers, black and white. I will post them as I hear them.

"That girl be takin all my money."
30 something black male on a BX4 bus

"Youse guys were here first."
50 something white male waiting in line at the 96st subway station.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:37 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,339,496 times
Neither "black" nor "African-American" are accurate terms. I think the terms below are more encompassing of our complete makeup and I have begun to use them to describe myself.

Race - Multigenerational Multiracial
Culture/Ethnicity - American (my family has been in NYC since 1910, or so)

Old 02-11-2011, 07:58 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,967,602 times
1863 was the infamous draft riots in NYC. Many blacks were attacked by Irish and Anglo American mobs. Whites vs blacks, Immigrants vs natives, Catholic Vs Protestant, Rich vs poor, Republican Vs Democrate. Biggest losers in NYC were the Anglo and the Blacks who are both Americans against the Irish Immigrant. After the riot many Blacks moved out the city and the NYC Black community wont be rivived until the Harlem Rennisance. I would like to know is there any NYC Blacks who ancestors have been in NYC since the civil war era instead of the 1st and 2nd great migrations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City