Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 07:49 PM

55 posts, read 268,212 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've been looking at listings for 3-Br, 2-Ba apartments for sale in Park Slope that are zoned for the William Penn elementary schools and are under $1 million. I am simply not finding much except for 4th Ave condos. I am not too keen on them because of rezoning risk, it seems inevitable that a rezoning will happen in 2012. Park Slope seems like a relatively small neiborhood, are my expectations for price simply not in sync with market realities? What would be the best way for me to keep tabs on any listings that might become available, are there realtor groups that are more prominent when it comes to Park Slope? Finally if I have to bite the bullet and buy in a non PS 321 zone area, what are the good private pre-school and elementary school options and approximate cost? Are there good private schools below $20K in tuition?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 07:32 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
PS321 isn't even in the top 5 in Brooklyn dude - do your research! Save your money - Greenpoint and Windsor Terrace have higher rated schools and are cheaper.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
PS321 isn't even in the top 5 in Brooklyn dude - do your research! Save your money - Greenpoint and Windsor Terrace have higher rated schools and are cheaper.
I find the greatschools.org ranking system to be the most transparent and objective and the school was ranked a 10. There aren't many neighborhood public schools ranked 10 in Brooklyn (not counting selective schools that you have to test into). Greenpoint I vaguely recall had one that ranked a 10, but am not sure if one had to test into it or get through a lottery. Park Slope has the better commute into the city from what I understand?

Old 12-22-2011, 06:27 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanbound View Post
Hi,
Are there good private schools below $20K in tuition?
Check out the Garden School in Jackson Heights, Queens. Their tuition is $15.5K/year, I think and they have a private school bus service to anywhere in the city for approx. $2K/year. So tuition plus school bus service should amount to $17.5K/year.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:29 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,967,943 times
PS321 is way overcrowded likely due to its ranking. PS154 in the neighboring windsor terrace seems better to me with a high level of parental participation. The area is also a very pleasant and family friendly neighborhood with easy access to the park and transportation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanbound View Post
I find the greatschools.org ranking system to be the most transparent and objective and the school was ranked a 10. There aren't many neighborhood public schools ranked 10 in Brooklyn (not counting selective schools that you have to test into). Greenpoint I vaguely recall had one that ranked a 10, but am not sure if one had to test into it or get through a lottery. Park Slope has the better commute into the city from what I understand?

Old 12-22-2011, 08:35 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,967,943 times
About three months ago, a brownstone house right across the street from the main entrance of ps154 was sold at ~900K.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Check out the Garden School in Jackson Heights, Queens. Their tuition is $15.5K/year, I think and they have a private school bus service to anywhere in the city for approx. $2K/year. So tuition plus school bus service should amount to $17.5K/year.
Thanks, I will check it out. BTW,from your user handle, do you live in Forest Hills? If so, any advice on where to consider buying in Forest Hills? We would like to have a yard, even if it is small. Budget probably up to $800K.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:19 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
/\/\

I used to, but no longer. The place I'd recommend for a family on that budget is the area around/near the Our Lady of Mercy Church (Forest Hills) - those blocks between/bordered by Yellowstone Ave. to the west and Ascan Ave. to the east and Metropolitan Ave. to the south. It's right outside Forest Hills Gardens subdivision so it shares a lot of its aesthetic features like tree-lined streets and well-kept homes without paying FH Gardens prices.

Also look at Kew Gardens, Glendale, Bayside and Douglaston.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
/\/\

I used to, but no longer. The place I'd recommend for a family on that budget is the area around/near the Our Lady of Mercy Church (Forest Hills) - those blocks between/bordered by Yellowstone Ave. to the west and Ascan Ave. to the east and Metropolitan Ave. to the south. It's right outside Forest Hills Gardens subdivision so it shares a lot of its aesthetic features like tree-lined streets and well-kept homes without paying FH Gardens prices.

Also look at Kew Gardens, Glendale, Bayside and Douglaston.
Thanks, much appreciated!

Old 12-25-2011, 02:35 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,947 times
Consider Jackson Heights Historic District. The commute to Manhattan is great since there are many transportation options. There's the Garden School, as someone mentioned above, the Renaissance Charter School, and St. Joan of Arc School if you wanted alternatives to PS 69 and PS 212. It's not Park Slope but it's a very nice, up-and-coming, family-oriented neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City