Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:56 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLET View Post
Excellent post

A lot of them come down to DC and say they are from New York and when I ask them what high school they graduated from they dont say anything and just stand there with a blank look on their faces.

Similar to a deer in headlights.
Where one went to high school doesn't define where one is from.
If one has permanently moved to New York and then proceeds/ed to live in New York for many years, they will call themselves New Yorkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 08:02 AM

468 posts, read 1,338,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Where one went to high school doesn't define where one is from.
It sure does if you are a hipster in your early to mid and even late 20s and your high school years were less than 10 years ago.

If they were really from New York well then they would have at least attended high school there.

I find that a hipster's version of time can be the equivalent of dog years.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:19 AM

14 posts, read 28,559 times
I moved here six months ago and now I am a New Yorker. It's as simple as that, whether some natives with obsessive-compulsive birthplace superiority anxieties like it or not. I am not a native New Yorker, but I am indeed a New Yorker. And so is everyone else who lives in this state. And, yes, I said "state", not "city". Have a great day, my fellow New Yorkers!

Old 02-03-2011, 09:27 AM

468 posts, read 1,338,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereAreMySocks? View Post
I moved here six months ago and now I am a New Yorker. It's as simple as that, whether some natives with obsessive-compulsive birthplace superiority anxieties like it or not. I am not a native New Yorker, but I am indeed a New Yorker. And so is everyone else who lives in this state. And, yes, I said "state", not "city". Have a great day, my fellow New Yorkers!
Well once you are done with New York and decide that DC is going to be the next stop on your urban tour please do not call yourself a Washingtonian.

We do not allow that sort of thing down here.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:11 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,706,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereAreMySocks? View Post
I know since you only moved in 6 months ago here you are new, but people from upstate don't call themselves "New Yorkers", they are "from New York". Brush up on your local lingo.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:26 PM

239 posts, read 305,923 times
She is a New Yorker whether you bitter natives like it or not. She may not be a native New Yorker, but she's a New Yorker. One who's in a high tax bracket and contributes more to New York City than every single one of you negative posters in this thread (probably combined).

Sorry.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:31 PM

239 posts, read 305,923 times
Barbara Bush isn't the only one either.

Beyoncé considers her current place of residency, New York, as her new hometown - despite being raised in Houston, Texas.

"I am a New Yorker now," the R&B superstar says.

Beyonce Considers Herself A New Yorker

Good. They all contribute immensely to New York. Especially Beyonce and her staggering wealth. They are New Yorkers.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:39 PM

541 posts, read 1,902,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLET View Post
Well once you are done with New York and decide that DC is going to be the next stop on your urban tour please do not call yourself a Washingtonian.

We do not allow that sort of thing down here.
Yeah I'm sure there has never been a DC transplant who calls themselves a Washingtonian.

Your posts are full of

Old 02-03-2011, 01:40 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAC NY View Post
She is a New Yorker whether you bitter natives like it or not. She may not be a native New Yorker, but she's a New Yorker. One who's in a high tax bracket and contributes more to New York City than every single one of you negative posters in this thread (probably combined).

Sorry.
I guess native new yorkers shy away from the whole thing because transplant sometimes make the whole new yorker thing seem corny and cheesy. Like why cant she just be a texan living in new york

Old 02-03-2011, 01:46 PM

36 posts, read 122,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
Yeah I'm sure there has never been a DC transplant who calls themselves a Washingtonian.

Your posts are full of
They don't, they call themselves Virginians, since no one really wants to live in DC proper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City